Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:52 PM

658 posts, read 831,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Do women have a advantage using their sex apeal in getting a job vs men since they have more skin to show..
Women who show skin at interviews at my firm lose points toward the job. Women obviously know that skin attracts the eyes of men. They're lying if they deny it. If they are there for a job interview, they need to dress as if they already have the job. Standards differ by corporation, but ours selects individuals who dress to show how well they can excel in the position, not in how hot they can look in skin-tight skirts.

The lady member on our interview team is flat-out offended by women dressing like hookers at interviews. And in our team, it only takes one to axe you from the list, because the one being interviewed works with all of us on the Executive team.

So please, if you want to seduce me, see me after work and you will meet my wife so she can answer. She likes that, and I allow her to answer for me in that case. But if you're here to impress with your professionalism, showing how tight your butt is gets you nowhere. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 07:04 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,933 times
Since I worked in human resources for several years, I know that in most industries, the more conservatively you dress for the interview, the better. The candidates that make the most favorable impressions usually wear suits--always for the men and most of the time for the women. For women who choose not to wear a suit, a coat dress or a conservative blouse and skirt are okay too. Women lose points if:
- they wear pants (even if it is a suit)
- they show too much skin (cleavage, sleeveless tops, skirts more than two inches above the knees, open shoes, no pantyhose)
- their clothing is too tight/provocative

The most notable exceptions to the preference for conservative clothing at the interview are in athletic or artsy fields.

It really doesn't matter what the interviewer is wearing. Since you want that job, you don't want to give the interviewer any reason to disqualify you. I have seen too many intelligent, qualified individuals passed up for good jobs because of sloppy, overly casual, garish, etc. clothing.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,758 times
If you have a skill they need so bad, you can dress in a tee shirt and shorts and they will hire you. See, it's all about demand.
When they have folks to choose from, then they want someone to fit into their prissy corporate culture.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:48 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Women who show skin at interviews at my firm lose points toward the job. Women obviously know that skin attracts the eyes of men. They're lying if they deny it. If they are there for a job interview, they need to dress as if they already have the job. Standards differ by corporation, but ours selects individuals who dress to show how well they can excel in the position, not in how hot they can look in skin-tight skirts.

The lady member on our interview team is flat-out offended by women dressing like hookers at interviews. And in our team, it only takes one to axe you from the list, because the one being interviewed works with all of us on the Executive team.

So please, if you want to seduce me, see me after work and you will meet my wife so she can answer. She likes that, and I allow her to answer for me in that case. But if you're here to impress with your professionalism, showing how tight your butt is gets you nowhere. YMMV.
I bet a lot of women get jobs for wearing low cut tops.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
In most good jobs that will get you over looked. Most good jobs at the better employers don't want the problems it can cause.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:30 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,464,469 times
When I go on an interview I don't ugly myself up but I do dress conservative. My skirt is knee length, not ankle length & I don't have a turtleneck on. One can look attractive & conservative without looking sexed up & that is where you will do well.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:12 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
I had one company call me for an "in person" interview and the lady told me that it was not necessary for me to dress up for the interview. Well, I remember years ago (in the 70's), I would just wear clean jeans and a nice shirt to an interview, BUT, I was only applying for a warehouse position. Today I'm older, act much more professional and "show" that when I go for an interview. I told this lady that I always go to an interview dressed up. I also told her that if she is requesting that I don't come to the interview "professionally" looking, I would have to reconsider the interview. She was somewhat stunned, but for me, I didn't go and it didn't bother me not to!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
If you have a skill they need so bad, you can dress in a tee shirt and shorts and they will hire you. See, it's all about demand.
When they have folks to choose from, then they want someone to fit into their prissy corporate culture.
Depends on the job culture. At Microsoft, fifteen years ago, I would agree that getting hired had nothing to do with appearance and everything to do with your abilities to deliver. Not so anymore, MS is far more corporate, high-stress and less casual.

What you wrote in your post has no reality during hard times (like now), as there are a hundred people applying for each job, and employers can cherry pick. HR folks I know base their hiring decisions in discernable facts, but their elimination decisions based in assumptions. Sloppy dress, hygeine, etc. leads to tons of poor assumptions about a candidate. If you don't REALLY want the job, wear a t-shirt and shorts. Or better yet, just stay home and save the gas.

Nothing wrong with t-shirts and shorts, mind you. I wear less than that when trading my investments, and make more money before going to work than I do at work.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:33 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,909,654 times
Quote:
If you have a skill they need so bad, you can dress in a tee shirt and shorts and they will hire you.

Well, good luck with that in your job search. Hope for your sake you're right, but plan on living on ramen soup for a while just to be safe.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I bet a lot of women get jobs for wearing low cut tops.
As I said, women lose their chance at jobs when they dress sexy instead of professionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search