Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 AM

12,136 posts, read 23,468,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCelestina View Post
Not sure where you get that info, but there are a lot of factors in this. If it's a company with a local, actual and trained HR Department (not pseudo HR), even a third-party HR Dept, chances are they are the ones posting and screening the job, if this is for skilled labor. If it's a non-local HR for a low-skilled workforce (ie, the corporate office is out of state and they're hiring for laborers), chances are the HR dept approves the posting to ensure compliance in the text (ie, so that managers/supervisors dont violate ADA or other discrimination clauses), may set up where resumes go and forward them to the appropriate party with or without review by them.

As far as whether to send it to the HR manager... the answer will always be that it depends. Some managers will be irritated you're sending that to their private email, as they have obviously set up a means for resumes to be filtered. Some may applaud your research and pass it along. Some may not care either way. Is this a big company for an entry level job? Is this a small company? Specialized labor? There is a reason they've set up different means to submit a resume... because they want it separate from their own email. They have things to do, and getting dozens of responses is not their favorite way to pass the time, while trying to fish out things that affect their own day-to-day operations.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised of people who have said that their HR dept has nothing to do with recruiting. What a scary company that'd be. I'm in HR, and we give our managers out of state free range on hiring and firing, limited rehiring. But we do screen their job postings to make sure we're not going to get sued. For low skilled workers, we dont really review the resumes and just pass it along indiscriminately. For higher levels, we do review and screen, then forward it to the appropriate parties.
I get my info from three decades of employment with state and private organizations. HR is involved in job postings, compliance, screenings, etc. but the HR director is not. I don't know your work experience but in mine HR directors (vice presidents) do not review or screen worker bee reumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:42 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,150,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I get my info from three decades of employment with state and private organizations. HR is involved in job postings, compliance, screenings, etc. but the HR director is not. I don't know your work experience but in mine HR directors (vice presidents) do not review or screen worker bee reumes.
Agreed. Hiring is a pretty easy thing to do. Follow some established rules, don't say anything stupid, keep some records and you are good. An HR director won't be involved.

The HR director will get involved in terminations, disciplinary actions, regulatory compliance, that type of thing. These are areas that require a great deal of knowledge and experience to address appropriately.

Sending a résumé to the HR director is pretty much a guarantee that you are sending it to the wrong person.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,980,667 times
The company advertised the position where they did for good reason and expect you to follow the exact guidelines in submitting your application for that position. I can tell you from first hand experience that there's nothing more guaranteed to land your application in File 13 than not following application instructions.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:14 PM

276 posts, read 433,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Well, as to where I got the info, with just a little bit of due diligence, and ingenuity, you can find what you are looking for. Whether or not they are involved in the selection process, I have no idea. But I know for a fact that just submitting to the website and hoping for the best will get me nowhere. That is why I want to submit a resume to, and connect with someone on linkedin that works there.

The firm itself is about 100 employees at the location the job is located at, but is part of a larger entity.

Alot of website suggest calling the company and asking who the hiring manager is. I could do this, but I imagine that this approach would not get very far, and I don't want to give myself any disadvantages.
If you know someone who works there, then connect with them on LinkedIn and ask that person to submit your resume. Personally, I do not connect with people on LinkedIn I do not know unless they give me a good reason to connect such as common acquaintances or even some level of personalized message.

I actually had a good experience finding a HR person on LinkedIn and asking follow-up questions after I submitted my resume through the normal procedure. This was a very large company known for search (not Google) and the position I was applying to was at a much smaller local office. The HR person actually put my resume in front of the hiring manager for review and responded to follow-up questions from me. Unfortunately, the position was cancelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search