Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,920,801 times

Advertisements

I'm currently hiring for an open position (I posted recently about the terrible external, online applications I received). I also received a large number of internal applications from within my company. Before you jump on me, yes, I'm interviewing every single internal applicant despite the problems with their applications and resumes, and none of the things I'm mentioning are deal-breakers by themselves. But the candidates definitely lose "points" for these things:

If you're applying for a job within your same company,

1. Please spell the name of the company correctly in your resume. Okay, you've been here 4 years and you don't know the actual name of the company? I work for the same company; did you think I wouldn't notice (especially since the position requires writing skills and being "detail oriented.")

2. Please include your current job on your resume. You came to this company 6 years ago, and you have not updated your resume since then to include your current position? Too busy, I guess? Too many of these internal applicants did not update their resumes to include their current position, and they've all been with this company over a year, most of them 4-8 years.

3. When you do include your current position on your resume, in the description of the position, don't just copy and paste the stuff from the company's job description. I have all the job descriptions at my fingertips, and I can see that you couldn't even throw together a few lines about the important things you do, but instead had to plagiarize from the (badly written) job description.

4. Please remember it's still an interview, even though it's internal. Even if you work a job where you can wear jeans, if you're interviewing for an internal promotion, maybe skip the jeans just this one day, especially since the promotion would be into a business-casual environment.

5. Don't use the interview to tell me negative things about other candidates, or about your supervisors. We have processes to address complaints and grievances, and the interview for a promotion is not the place for this.

I have lots of applicants, but many of them seem to be doing a good job of weeding themselves out. Hope this helps others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:07 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,188,393 times
Tip 6. Make sure it's a real job for which real candidates are actually being interviewed and not the 69% chance that the actual candidate (the hiring manager's bowling team buddy) was selected before the job was even posted.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:12 PM

At least in my case, none of them are a "buddy" and I've never met any of them except in a training here & there. Mostly they are complete strangers to me, so their internal app and resume are my first impression of them. But yes, I've seen positions get posted within companies when they already had a chosen person for the job.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM

211 posts, read 529,606 times
Tip 7. Please take the interview seriously. Just because you know the interviewer does not mean that you should crack inappropriate jokes.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:19 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,498,953 times
Tracy, no offense but what does that say about the company you are working for that hired these people in the first place? They don't sound very competent and yet they are being considered for a promotion?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,451,257 times
Also make sure you know company policy on internal apps.

Many of the companies I've worked for require you to work 6mo-1 year before you can apply for a different job and you must also notify your current supervisor before applying otherwise you are automatically disqualified.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Tracy, no offense but what does that say about the company you are working for that hired these people in the first place? They don't sound very competent and yet they are being considered for a promotion?
Haha, no offense taken. I described the job and the workers in another thread. We are a non-profit and many of the front line workers meet the requirements on paper (we have strict licensing requirements) but they still have "issues." The position I'm hiring for is really just one step above the entry-level position.

I say almost every day that "common sense is not common at all." Much if my work involves investigating events/incidents in which staff screwed up in some way. I guess I'm not fishing in the best of ponds.

But that said, I've been extremely impressed by some of the candidates. Actually blown away by the talents, skills, creativity and problem-solving ability of some people who hold the lowest level of positions in my company.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Also make sure you know company policy on internal apps.

Many of the companies I've worked for require you to work 6mo-1 year before you can apply for a different job and you must also notify your current supervisor before applying otherwise you are automatically disqualified.
Fortunately, all internal apps had to go thru HR before being forwarded to me. They screened out the people who did not qualify to apply.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,740,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
But that said, I've been extremely impressed by some of the candidates. Actually blown away by the talents, skills, creativity and problem-solving ability of some people who hold the lowest level of positions in my company.
Everyone starts somewhere.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,074,646 times
Tip 8: If you're having issues within your own department, beware, they may hire you for the new position, because now you're on probation and can be fired whenever.

This actually happened to someone at an old job I was at. The person wasn't that great to begin with. HR had been trying to get them out for some time (just not enough screw ups). So when they applied for another position, they hired them for it (they were qualified), then the person was on probation again, and then fired within 3 months. Obviously, she didn't get her old job back either.

Not sure how legal that is, but the problem was solved for many involved. I just make sure when I apply for a new job internally, I remember that I can be fired within my probation period and be out on the streets, so it's something to seriously think about.

To the OP. What do you think about internal candidates that apply for everything, qualified or not? We had one of those at my last job, she'd apply to everything, including the GM position. No clue why. I mean, her boss loved her, she was making top dollars because of it, and she wouldn't lose her job ever. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search