Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 PM

141 posts, read 299,346 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on attending a career fair held by one single employer. I'm not quite sure what to expect. The only specifics given are time, location, and that they prefer people to apply online first. I've never attended any sort of career fair, but I'm particularly unclear on what happens when it's held by one employer. The information I've been able to find on career fairs seems geared toward fairs with multiple employers present.

I know the basics - dress professionally as if for an interview, bring multiple copies of my resume.

Anything else I need to know particularly about the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 02:20 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
I'm planning on attending a career fair held by one single employer. I'm not quite sure what to expect. The only specifics given are time, location, and that they prefer people to apply online first. I've never attended any sort of career fair, but I'm particularly unclear on what happens when it's held by one employer. The information I've been able to find on career fairs seems geared toward fairs with multiple employers present.

I know the basics - dress professionally as if for an interview, bring multiple copies of my resume.

Consider it a 69% interview. Be prepared. Target some jobs you can really talk to. This is a very good opportunity. It's a foot partway in the door.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM

19 posts, read 41,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but it's usually a complete waste of time to attend a career fair hosted by a single employer, unless the employer has ample jobs available.

Which company is hosting the job fair in Atlanta?

Old 08-02-2013, 04:14 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
Not to sound like a smart-*&&, but expect wall-to-wall people at the job fair. Get a good night's sleep, and wear your "patience cap" during the fair.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Consider it a 69% interview. Be prepared. Target some jobs you can really talk to. This is a very good opportunity. It's a foot partway in the door.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I've heard to go in prepared to interview. I hope that's the case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBound2121 View Post
I hate to sound like a pessimist, but it's usually a complete waste of time to attend a career fair hosted by a single employer, unless the employer has ample jobs available.

Which company is hosting the job fair in Atlanta?
It's State Farm insurance. According to the local media, they plan on hiring about 800 people by the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Not to sound like a smart-*&&, but expect wall-to-wall people at the job fair. Get a good night's sleep, and wear your "patience cap" during the fair.
I figured it would be packed out. I have the entire day available and plenty of patience. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:45 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBound2121 View Post

Why would a company spend money hosting a career fair if they don't have jobs available to fill?

I've been fortunate to be on the employer end of two career fairs (we had so many reqs to fill in such a short time) and they are similar to a "regular" career fair. Dress business casual, bring copies of your resume, expect to be screened, and expect long lines.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Why would a company spend money hosting a career fair if they don't have jobs available to fill?

I've been fortunate to be on the employer end of two career fairs (we had so many reqs to fill in such a short time) and they are similar to a "regular" career fair. Dress business casual, bring copies of your resume, expect to be screened, and expect long lines.
Thanks Jaypee!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
They can be great opportunities! It usually means the company has many positions to fill and not much time to fill them. After all, these things cost money.

Wear a suit, bring lots of resumes and allow time to spend in lines and interviews. Keep a discrete snack in your brief case so your stomach doesn't growl if it goes on for a long time.

The last one my husband attended took all day and turned into four on the spot interviews. He was exhausted afterward, but it was well worth it. He got three job offers, and took one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search