Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 AM

5 posts, read 5,256 times

Advertisements

Five years ago I moved to the Twin Cities in Minnesota unemployed but with lots of dreams. I was unemployed and desperate to find a job in my field. I had quite a few interviews and was a finalist at three different companies (multiple interviews at each place) but the process for hiring someone was slow.

I finally was offered a job at one of the places I was a finalist for and accepted the job immediately even though it was my least favorite choice. The other two places were interested in me but their hiring process was moving at a glacial pace and I was running out of money.

My new boss at the place who hired me was a real odd ball and I really struggled communicating with him and working under his unusual management style. But I told my self I was a professional and would stick with it and prove that I could work effectively with almost anyone and pay my dues.

About a month after I started the new job with the oddball boss the other two employers callled the same week and offered me a job. Being loyal to that current employer I turned the jobs down and kept trying my best to work effectively with the odd boss who really did not give me much to do or mentor me in any way. I lasted there for two years and at the end of the process was laid off and my odd boss would not give me a professional reference. I was unemployed for 8 months and finally had to accept a job for less money than before to get working again.

Maybe if I would have held out for a better job or quit the job with the odd boss after a month when I was offed better jobs, my career would be in better shape now. The two employers that offered me a job after I had already started at the bad employer turned out to be great companies that have really grown since then. I may still be there making twice as much money as now in a management position.

Can you relate to my story? Have a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:08 AM

12 posts, read 43,602 times
Yep. Just got let go from a law firm locally that while the boss is an excellent litigator, the office manager was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy less than stellar, and there my files were soooooooo screwed up when I started from the last two in "the revolving chair", that even after many 9-10 hour days trying to catch up and correct..was let go because I "was not compatable"?? huh?? In 18 years as a Paralegal, have Never been told that :|

Old 12-22-2009, 09:17 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,389,387 times
Yeah - last job. Just was not a good fit, but I stayed because it was "a job" and I couldn't find anything better. It was close to my home and fit excellently into my schedule. I got laid off, I have a much better job now though and more of a fit for my skills. Last place did NOT utilize my skills to their full potential even though they could have - management there was bad to non-existent. For a while, we were all really treated quite badly.
Although it did not set my career back, I should NOT have wasted 5 years there. And I am now trying to minimize the experience I got there as it does not dovetail into what I would LIKE to be doing going forward.
Do not stay at a bad or incompatible job because whatever experience you got there, will STAY with you.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,072 times
Yes, I'm there now. I knew the first month I was there the boss was odd. After 3 1/2 years I've determined she's bipolar. Actually all the employees think that. She can be down right nasty to everyone. We seem to all take turns being on the "bad list". For the moment, it's a job. I've been hanging in there because my husband has been unemployed this past year since construction has tanked in Florida.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,389,387 times
Yeah - when you work for crazies - just very important to cover your b*tt. They always try to throw you under the bus to cover up their incompetence. I made everyone email me things, so I would have a "trail". Document everything.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,945,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Message Board Poster View Post

I finally was offered a job at one of the places I was a finalist for and accepted the job immediately even though it was my least favorite choice. The other two places were interested in me but their hiring process was moving at a glacial pace and I was running out of money.

About a month after I started the new job with the oddball boss the other two employers callled the same week and offered me a job.
I'll bet this is a really common problem; a person is on an aggressive job hunt and eventually gets an offer but other offers come in a bit later so it is difficult to chose one. What do you do? Do you stick it out (as this poster did), or quit the first job after a month (and risk getting blackballed) to go for the more desired job? It's a dilemma.

Help! I accepted a job – can I change my mind? - Ask Annie

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...d-my-mind.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment