Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:35 PM

265 posts, read 409,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Interesting.

Employers and some skilled jobs themselves have become very skills specific and centric. Employers won't hire unless the candidate has the exact or very close skills match, especially in technology oriented jobs.

Some candidates won't put in the time/efforts to learn/update their new skills or what is required to get hired.

There becomes a gap between skills desired and skills possessed/available.
If only it was always the case that it was possible to learn/update skills on your own time or dime. I'd love to teach myself everything from scratch, but I get the feeling I'd cause a few accidents from just my book learning and hands on experiments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 08:25 PM

382 posts, read 664,437 times
You can not really use that model and analogy in the construction field. Training is essential in that field. No one is born to know anything about everything and is automatically qualified for every position. I am just amazed how companies want the perfect candiate with all of these skills. I'm not entirely too convince that positions half of the times ever get filled. I wonder if companies just post these job openings just to make it look good on their records that they are hiring. I still see job openings which were originally posted months ago, perhaps since December and no one has filled the position.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:05 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
It's not even so much that they want perfect candidates, more so it's the fact that they want perfect candidates to work for ridiculous wages.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:15 AM

503 posts, read 1,172,467 times
Next thing you know you'll need a M.B.A. and 7-10 years of store ownership experience to work for $7.25 as a short-hour sales associate for Hollister or something.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:04 AM

67 posts, read 198,719 times
Interesting. who knows.
I was recently on a sports/fitness board (not city data) in the off topic forums and someone wrote a thread that he was having problems finding a job in his area. This poster from Scottsdale got on and said something similar to not being able to find suitable candidates to the effect that he was a hiring person for this company in Scottsdale and he was having a hard time filling positions. He said one question he asked the applicants was to tell him ONE current event that is happening in the world right now outside of the US. Just one event. He said no one had been able to provide this.

To him, maybe it shows how much the applicant keeps on topics. Does the peson read a newspaper, watch news? It may not have had anything to do with the positinon, but this was an important factor to him.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
It's not even so much that they want perfect candidates, more so it's the fact that they want perfect candidates to work for ridiculous wages.
i think it's both, but yeah.

if you're not finding applicants with the perfect skill-set, then you need to do one or both of these things:

- hire people who are not perfect and train them on the job
- pay more money

pretty simple! it's the same way from the other end - if what you're doing is not working, look for ways to improve.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen96817 View Post
He said one question he asked the applicants was to tell him ONE current event that is happening in the world right now outside of the US. Just one event. He said no one had been able to provide this.
this is really, really sad.

but at the same time, applicants couldn't know to prepare for an out of left field question like that. should they be paying attention to world events anyway, just as humans living on earth? yeah of course. but i don't see how anyone could anticipate a question like that.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:01 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
I don't understand hiring managers that study human resources at school just to land a job where they buy software from a company to auto-screen applicants for them so all they have to do is find cheap benefits packages, utilize the ole' suggestion-box-that-leads-to-a-furnace and ask some questions to applicants they might like that come through.

I liked my old boss. Small retail chain but highly sought after retail job. Hand-written applications. Internal references didn't help unless you were already stellar. Very realistic expectations. Chose people right for the job and the company and not people with tons of glimmering trophies and thick books of achievements.
I agree - these HR people are a huge waste of time. They have little to no actual experience doing anything and just have a degree in HR. They're like the career counselors who've never had a job other than as a career counselor, after getting a degree in career counseling. Everyone is so obsessed with a stupid piece of paper.

I was recently told I can't be considered for an internal position because even though I have three graduate degrees (including a PhD) in a closely related field, and 20 years experience actually doing the same job - including 10 as a top performer for my present employer - I don't have the exact right Master's degree they are looking for (doesn't matter that I actually have more graduate credits in that field than an MA would require - they want an actual paper with that name on it). And they complain they can't find people!! The job doesn't even pay that much.

Last edited by marie5v; 06-02-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 07:07 AM

427 posts, read 948,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
this is really, really sad.

but at the same time, applicants couldn't know to prepare for an out of left field question like that. should they be paying attention to world events anyway, just as humans living on earth? yeah of course. but i don't see how anyone could anticipate a question like that.
The point is that one doesn't have to anticipate it. He simply has to be aware of something going on in the world outside of reality shows, sports or music, which Is all that so many people are wrapped up in.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 AM

well, if you need to hire people, and 100% of your applicants can't answer that question, you have to either choose to hire no one or give less weight to that question.

it's terrible that so many people can't answer it, but you're not going to change the way that people look at the world. and honestly, unless the job actually involves being knowledgeable about international issues, i don't see how what people spend their free time thinking about and paying attention to, no matter how sad or awesome it is, is relevant to most jobs.

i mean, what's your solution to this issue? just make people better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search