Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 74,603 times

Advertisements

So I got a job offer from company A. I told them I intended to accept, and they then proceeded to run a background and drug test on me. I did not "officially" accept the offer, meaning I didn't sign any paperwork, but I gave a verbal confirmation that I intended to accept. I successfully passed the drug + background test and was scheduled to begin work.

Soon afterwards, I got a second job offer from company B. I accepted this offer, and rejected the first offer from company A. It was not even close, the offer from company B paid approximately double what company A would pay.

Company A was understanding because I explained it to them and was polite. But they want me to pay ~$100 for the drug and background test.

I've gotten some opinions already and they range from "that's ridiculous, don't pay them anything!" to "You are lucky they aren't suing you! Just pay them the $100!". Would you guys pay it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaChoda7891 View Post
So I got a job offer from company A. I told them I intended to accept, and they then proceeded to run a background and drug test on me. I did not "officially" accept the offer, meaning I didn't sign any paperwork, but I gave a verbal confirmation that I intended to accept. I successfully passed the drug + background test and was scheduled to begin work.

Soon afterwards, I got a second job offer from company B. I accepted this offer, and rejected the first offer from company A. It was not even close, the offer from company B paid approximately double what company A would pay.

Company A was understanding because I explained it to them and was polite. But they want me to pay ~$100 for the drug and background test.

I've gotten some opinions already and they range from "that's ridiculous, don't pay them anything!" to "You are lucky they aren't suing you! Just pay them the $100!". Would you guys pay it?
No.

What if I failed my drug screening and didn't pass the background check? Would I still have to pay?

Let them "sue" you for it.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:09 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
Absolutely not. Would they make you pay it if you failed it? For them to even consider asking is complete insanity - to actually pose the question is downright offensive.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:24 PM

570 posts, read 1,730,118 times
no, I wouldn't even want to work for that company if they ask me to pay for it.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:33 PM

24 posts, read 74,603 times
Just to be clear, if I successfully passed the checks and started the job, of course they would not ask me to pay.

If I failed to pass a test, I would have to pay for the test (as well as have the job offer rescinded). I knew that was their policy. I also knew there was no chance I would fail either test (because I didn't lie on my resume and don't do drugs).

Another piece of information: I said Company A, but really it's a staffing agency that was trying to set me up with the job at Company A. I don't know if that makes any difference or not. The staffing agency handled the drug screening/background check. They probably paid a third party to conduct the actual checks.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:54 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
did you sign something agreeing to pay for this if you didn't accept employment? if you didn't, they have nothing on you.

even if you did, it would cost them more to have a lawyer write you a letter, let alone sue you, if you refused to pay.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:04 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
did you sign something agreeing to pay for this if you didn't accept employment? if you didn't, they have nothing on you.

even if you did, it would cost them more to have a lawyer write you a letter, let alone sue you, if you refused to pay.
I agree. Unless it is EXPRESSLY WRITTEN that if you didn't take a job after the drug/background check that you would reimburse them, then you don't owe them anything.

I wouldn't have signed such a "policy" myself. Companies are trying their best not to take responsibility for ANYTHING anymore. It's sickening.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
I wouldn't even dignify their request with a response. If they followed up again, I'd go with something like:

"Oh, I'm sorry - I thought that was some kind of joke"

Then politely ask them to never contact you again, and inform them that you will be passing on this story to anyone who will listen to it for the rest of you life, along with a recommendation to never deal with their penny-ante company under any circumstances.

As someone who hires people routinely, the fact that they try to recoup this general business expense even on failed tests is ludicrous. It's the cost of hiring if you're running these checks, absorb it!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:39 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Are you kidding? Why would YOU as a potential employee PAY to meet the requirements of the hiring company? If they want to "test" you then THEY pay for the tests.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:48 PM

392 posts, read 704,421 times
Pay it, slave. I charge candidates an inconvenience fee of $50 if they don't advance to the second interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search