Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:20 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times

Advertisements

I agree that is rediculous. A poster a while back said a company wanted to deduct the costs of rerecruiting for the position after she quit from her paycheck. Employees are free to quit at any time in the USA and the company cannot fine them, recoup costs for rehiring etc.

Let them take you to Judge Judy for it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 05:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I agree that is rediculous. A poster a while back said a company wanted to deduct the costs of rerecruiting for the position after she quit from her paycheck. Employees are free to quit at any time in the USA and the company cannot fine them, recoup costs for rehiring etc.

Let them take you to Judge Judy for it.

Got to love that sign. "your an idiot"

Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,237,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaChoda7891 View Post
So I got a job offer from company A. I told them I intended to accept, and they then proceeded to run a background and drug test on me. I did not "officially" accept the offer, meaning I didn't sign any paperwork, but I gave a verbal confirmation that I intended to accept. I successfully passed the drug + background test and was scheduled to begin work.

Soon afterwards, I got a second job offer from company B. I accepted this offer, and rejected the first offer from company A. It was not even close, the offer from company B paid approximately double what company A would pay.

Company A was understanding because I explained it to them and was polite. But they want me to pay ~$100 for the drug and background test.

I've gotten some opinions already and they range from "that's ridiculous, don't pay them anything!" to "You are lucky they aren't suing you! Just pay them the $100!". Would you guys pay it?
No. I think that you should not pay for others to invade your privacy.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:02 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaChoda7891 View Post
So I got a job offer from company A. I told them I intended to accept, and they then proceeded to run a background and drug test on me. I did not "officially" accept the offer, meaning I didn't sign any paperwork, but I gave a verbal confirmation that I intended to accept. I successfully passed the drug + background test and was scheduled to begin work.

Soon afterwards, I got a second job offer from company B. I accepted this offer, and rejected the first offer from company A. It was not even close, the offer from company B paid approximately double what company A would pay.

Company A was understanding because I explained it to them and was polite. But they want me to pay ~$100 for the drug and background test.

I've gotten some opinions already and they range from "that's ridiculous, don't pay them anything!" to "You are lucky they aren't suing you! Just pay them the $100!". Would you guys pay it?
Don't pay. The cost of the background and drug screen are the responsibility of the company. Unless you signed some sort of employment contract that was for a certain amount of time. If you signed an offer that states you are at will, do not pay.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:59 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Unless there was something explicitly stated, I wouldn't pay.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:26 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,857 times
You dodged a bullet.
This is a HUGE red flag. Think of other policies this company might have.
Im pretty sure they cant charge you for something they require unless you
signed a contract saying you would absorb the cost.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 AM

I don't even think if he signed a contract the company could collect. The OP should make a call to the DOL. Forcing employees or potential employees to absorb the cost of recruitment is not allowed with some exceptions. The Chicago PD charges recruits a fee to take the exam. I think some school districts charge applicants for the background.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't even think if he signed a contract the company could collect. The OP should make a call to the DOL. Forcing employees or potential employees to absorb the cost of recruitment is not allowed with some exceptions. The Chicago PD charges recruits a fee to take the exam. I think some school districts charge applicants for the background.
i have heard of people being charged for background checks, but not under these circumstances. only with prior warning.

even if they're 100% legally in the right, as i mentioned before i seriously doubt they'd take legal action over $100. and even they're legally in the right, they're ethically in the wrong in my book!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 858 times
does the employer have the right to tell the applicant to pay for there for background check>?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:38 PM

Generally no. They cannot force candidates to pay. They can refuse you a job offer if you don't but they can't sue or anything like that to force you to pay for recruitment costs. Generally I'd consider even asking to be a sign of a very tacky company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search