Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yep. There was a time when I thought HR was an objective buffer between employer and employee. Man was I wayyyyy off the mark on that one. I guess when you break it down, HR is simply another employee(s) of the company and taking any line that favors the employee isn't in the interests of their own job security. It really paints a clear picture of how powerless the average employee is.

That's exactly what the problem is - Employees are not aware of just how powerless and controlled they really are - they believe they have some power, there opinions have some merit but spend most of their lives grovelling and clinging to jobs they hate.

Employee's have almost become like cult members with no self respect for their own opinions, ideas and thoughts, no true beliefs, just bland brainwashed careerism - all for a pension and some benefits.

In a Democracy you say what you want, but you do what your told - its called your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
That's exactly what the problem is - Employees are not aware of just how powerless and controlled they really are - they believe they have some power, there opinions have some merit but spend most of their lives grovelling and clinging to jobs they hate.

Employee's have almost become like cult members with no self respect for their own opinions, ideas and thoughts, no true beliefs, just bland brainwashed careerism - all for a pension and some benefits.

In a Democracy you say what you want, but you do what your told - its called your job.
Well, life sucks. I'd much rather hate my job and have health insurance, make enough to go an annual vacation and invest a good portion of my paycheck each month in my retirement accounts than work at a McJob with some halfway retarded manager screaming at me every day for $8/hr. It could always be worse.

If you want to do your own thing and not have a boss, in America you have the freedom to start your own business and see how that goes. Over 80% of startups fail within the first two years though. Passion without a real gameplan gets you nowhere. Luck is also important to starting a business, and with the economy the way it is not many are lucky these days.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,703,227 times
Quote:

I think it has to do with the occupation as well. People who have rare or specialized skills probably have more power to voice their opinion compared to the average cubicle worker whose 'skills' are organizational knowledge and for which you can basically plug any reasonably competent person into the position. Those are typically your mundane paper-pushing, number crunching, send out emails all freaking day jobs. Its employees in that kind of position that have no say and feel powerless because quite literally, you can be replaced the next day.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
After reading all this, as much as I dont' believe in government getting involved in business, maybe there needs to be stricter labor laws. This economy has brought out so much mistreatment to employees because employers know that people have to suck it up and tolerate a low paying, horrible job cause of how bad the economy is. Its completely ridiculous!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
After reading all this, as much as I dont' believe in government getting involved in business, maybe there needs to be stricter labor laws. This economy has brought out so much mistreatment to employees because employers know that people have to suck it up and tolerate a low paying, horrible job cause of how bad the economy is. Its completely ridiculous!
... and what's hilarious is you have these morons who bash unions day and night while they slave away at their $10/hr. jobs with no health insurance.

Unions definitely have their faults and many of them are corrupt, but they see to it that the employees receive a decent wage and are otherwise treated fairly. They also defend employees against unfair termination. Getting fired because somebody doesn't like your haircut won't fly at a union job.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,408,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
... and what's hilarious is you have these morons who bash unions day and night while they slave away at their $10/hr. jobs with no health insurance.

Unions definitely have their faults and many of them are corrupt, but they see to it that the employees receive a decent wage and are otherwise treated fairly. They also defend employees against unfair termination. Getting fired because somebody doesn't like your haircut won't fly at a union job.
Exactly! At my job, we rely on so many other departments that get to be closed on weekends and holidays because they're union. It makes my job really hard on weekends and holidays which I always have to work (not getting to spend any time with those I care about, to boot). I don't understand why we can't be on their schedule..but I live in Arizona so go figure.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:33 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:

Where is this bitterness coming from?

You AGREED to work for them. They didn't put a gun on your head and forced you to work. You don't have to work for them but you agreed to do it anyway.

When you agreed to work for them, you agreed to do that they asked you to do.

I really don't see what the problem is. If you don't like working for them, don't work for them.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
When you agreed to work for them, you agreed to do that they asked you to do.
Therein lies the problem as mike has pointed out. Hiring managers often don't tell you the truth about what they expect and in a tough job market once you see the real wizard behind the curtain it's not at all what you were told during the interview. So now you dropped your other offers accepted this job and realize you are working in a dysfunctional hell hole. That what I was just terminated from, and frankly I don't miss it. To assume it's easy to just go find another job, after you find out the real truth about how horribly you were mislead, when the real UE numbers is 15% is not realistic.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Therein lies the problem as mike has pointed out. Hiring managers often don't tell you the truth about what they expect and in a tough job market once you see the real wizard behind the curtain it's not at all what you were told during the interview. So now you dropped your other offers accepted this job and realize you are working in a dysfunctional hell hole. That what I was just terminated from, and frankly I don't miss it. To assume it's easy to just go find another job, after you find out the real truth about how horribly you were mislead, when the real UE numbers is 15% is not realistic.
I don't think you are being fair.

Did you tell them the truth about what they could expect from you and what you expect from the job? They dropped other candidates to hire you and now realized you were a dysfunctional --hole.

Come on, it happens both ways. It's a fair game. Don't like it, there's the door and you have the freedom to walk out the door. It works both ways.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't think you are being fair.

Did you tell them the truth about what they could expect from you and what you expect from the job? They dropped other candidates to hire you and now realized you were a dysfunctional --hole.

Come on, it happens both ways. It's a fair game. Don't like it, there's the door and you have the freedom to walk out the door. It works both ways.
How dare you imply I am some dysfunctional a hole. You are that person not me. You are speaking to someone that was multi year president's club member in sales. And yes I did tell them what I expected and what I need in terms of support and was lied to about what was expected. I found out within 1 week that was I was told was BS plain and simple. Almost everything told to me was lies. It was not a fair game. Let me guess you are probably an HR person or hiring manager? You are delusional if you think with real unemployment at 15% that its a level playing field. You need to have your head examined not me because I live in the real world not the fantasy you are trying to project.

I don't have time for idiots like you so I will exercise my freedom and put you on ignore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search