Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,114 times

Advertisements

I interviewed at a sporting goods store on the 3rd. The interview didn't go so great...i didn't sleep the night before due to being anxious about the interview and answered 3 questions incorrectly(I knew the correct answers. total brain fart moments) Anyway, i loved the company & the relaxed atmosphere. The pay was great and so is the company discount(45%). Would it be bad to apply for the job again in the next few weeks/months? Or should i request a second chance interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM

724 posts, read 1,686,127 times
If your resume had just slipped through, I would say it wouldn't hurt to submit it a second time. However, since you interviewed and didn't get the position, I would say that if you really think it was just because of the test you took then you might want to call the hiring manager and explain the situation. He would probably think it was weird if you just resubmitted the resume with no mention of having already interviewed. Maybe if you don't want to call you could put a note on the application that you messed up on a few easy questions due to nerves but you would be really excited to work at X store. That might help.

Good luck.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
I interviewed at a sporting goods store on the 3rd. The interview didn't go so great...i didn't sleep the night before due to being anxious about the interview and answered 3 questions incorrectly(I knew the correct answers. total brain fart moments) Anyway, i loved the company & the relaxed atmosphere. The pay was great and so is the company discount(45%). Would it be bad to apply for the job again in the next few weeks/months? Or should i request a second chance interview?

Defintely not the next few weeks because that would look crazy. I applied to the same company twice and been rejected twice but it was over a span of 4 years. I would look for another sporting store because even if you apply this year in July they would probably still remember you

Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Defintely not the next few weeks because that would look crazy. I applied to the same company twice and been rejected twice but it was over a span of 4 years. I would look for another sporting store because even if you apply this year in July they would probably still remember you
Any particular reason why you think it would look crazy?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,231 times
Quote:
Any particular reason why you think it would look crazy?
Here's what you do...(I know no one ever listens to me)...but hears what you do...

Walk in there with either flowers....or a box of Dunkin donuts and coffee...and thank them, the store and the manager, for interviewing you and considering you for the position...

That way you will stand out, and suddenly become a person to them...

You will do something that probablly has never been done before and so will always be the talk of the place...

But you must...I repeat must, be able to back it up with skill level or skill set...
In other words if they hire you down the road...do not disappoint.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 PM

FINALLY got to speak to her. After calling every day and leaving messages, she was finally in the office to take my call.

I first asked if the position was still open and she said yes. I then explained to her what i said on here and she told me she wasn't interested in giving me another interview & thanked me for my time.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
FINALLY got to speak to her. After calling every day and leaving messages, she was finally in the office to take my call.

I first asked if the position was still open and she said yes. I then explained to her what i said on here and she told me she wasn't interested in giving me another interview & thanked me for my time.

It was foolish for you to call in the first place

Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It was foolish for you to call in the first place

why?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,482,002 times
Quote:
why?
You honestly don't know? I don't think calling once and explaining the situation would necessarily be a bad thing, but calling EVERY DAY and leaving messages is excessive, even obsessive, especially considering the job seems like your average minimum wage job. The manager probably did think you were a tad crazy. When an applicant is given an interview, they are given one shot to basically sell themselves to the employer. One chance to express what strengths they can bring to the job and what a valuable asset to the team they will be. Keep in mind how many applicants that manager has to interview. If she gave everyone "second chance interviews" (which I've never even heard of), the interview process would be extremely drawn out and redundant.

The type of job you applied to is very common. If you liked the atmosphere and whatnot, you could easily apply to a dozen more and if you manage to get another interview, just try to rest up the night before and not overly stress yourself out about it. Easier said that done, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Here's what you do...

Walk in there with either flowers....or a box of Dunkin donuts and coffee...and thank them, the store and the manager, for interviewing you and considering you for the position...

You will do something that probablly has never been done before and so will always be the talk of the place...
There's a reason that type of thing has never been done before.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Here's what you do...(I know no one ever listens to me)...but hears what you do...

But you must...I repeat must, be able to back it up with skill level or skill set...
In other words if they hire you down the road...do not disappoint.
I'm not saying that you should never do this but you have to agree that doing this for the type of job she was applying for is over the top and just plain goofy!

I know there are many stories on the internet and news about people doing out of the box things to get interviews and jobs but its not something you should consider adding into to your daily job hunting duties.

Do you ever think that sometimes companies just hire those weird people for the publicity it offers after they are hired? Just think I do something weird and a company hires me. It gets on the news and I get to tell the world that XYZ company hired me. FREE Pulicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search