Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Thanks all, but my question is...do I have to list it as volunteer on my resume? Can't I just put the name of the organization, what I do and dates of service? When they ask me how much my salary is, would it be too flip to say the good feeling of giving back to the community? I know it's odd, but isn't the idea to get an interview? Considering many ads say "the unemployed need not apply," I wouldn't even have a chance if I say it's only volunteer.

I'd risk the interview ending immediately when I say it's volunteering, as most IVs haven't turned out that well for me lately (not that I've been on many).

Yeah, looks good to do something for the community, but sure looks better if it appears I am currently being paid for the work I do.

Oh, and another thing, I was shocked when someone else told me to put "disability" to explain any gaps in employment. Could that possibly help me get a job? Do they have a quota to fill?
I would mention volunteering if it's relevant to the position I'm applying for and if it's totally non-controversial in nature. The volunteering I've done is non-controversial but if I volunteered at a church or at a gay rights advocacy group, I might be more reluctant to include it. I definitely list it as volunteer cause I think that works in your favor in many cases cause it shows you're willing to work for the greater good and not just for the paycheck.

What's your disability? If they sense that your disability will be expensive to accommodate or liability, it could definitely work against you. I hide my disability on resumes cause they usually turn me down the second they see a blind person walking through the door. That said, I landed the part-time job I have now because the big shot manager saw me using my braille display and communicating via tactile sign with an employee and had no idea the deaf-blind were capable of using computers and communicating. He was so amazed he hired me on the spot. Maybe you have a point--I've just never heard of it being mentioned on a resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
Quote:
Actually, it's the truth, so I am not lying in the least. I just never would have thought to do that as I was certain no one would hire me. I was shocked when it was suggested to me. But if companies have quotas to fill, I just might have a good shot at a job, provided I am in a spot where my disability will not become an issue again.
In that context, I think it can be helpful. I had to quit my job and drop college for two years to learn how to do every day things all over again and just adjust to my new situation. It shows that it was an obstacle at the time but it was just a matter of overcoming it and getting adjusted. Now that I'm adjusted it's not an issue anymore. I think it's reasonable to explain that if that's the reason you have a gap in work experience/education.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:27 PM

45 posts, read 27,115 times
Quote:
Oh, and another thing, I was shocked when someone else told me to put "disability" to explain any gaps in employment. Could that possibly help me get a job? Do they have a quota to fill?
Hmm NO. Dont put your disability. Not their business and you don't even have to mention it until it causes issues in the workplace. According to ADA, your protected.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:28 PM

45 posts, read 27,115 times
Put all volunteer work at the bottom of your resume, under your list of paid jobs. Label it Additional Experience.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:09 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cats2fish44 View Post
Hmm NO. Dont put your disability. Not their business and you don't even have to mention it until it causes issues in the workplace. According to ADA, your protected.
Well, not quite that simple. A gap in employment implies a temporary situation, one that has been resolved by the employee being released and returning to work. That may not have any bearing on a future potential job, but recurring gaps could raise a red flag for an employer. True, they can't ask directly about a disability but they can require an applicant to meet the needs of the position. If a reasonable accommodation (per ADA) will make that possible, that's when the discussion begins. If you could prove that employer didn't hire you because of an existing disability you may invoke protection under the ADA.

Old 07-11-2021, 06:49 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
Put volunteer work as work experience. Don't mention it is volunteer work. The reason is that, some employers would cheap out on pay if they found out.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:29 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I would mention volunteering if it's relevant to the position I'm applying for and if it's totally non-controversial in nature. The volunteering I've done is non-controversial but if I volunteered at a church or at a gay rights advocacy group, I might be more reluctant to include it. I definitely list it as volunteer cause I think that works in your favor in many cases cause it shows you're willing to work for the greater good and not just for the paycheck.

What's your disability? If they sense that your disability will be expensive to accommodate or liability, it could definitely work against you. I hide my disability on resumes cause they usually turn me down the second they see a blind person walking through the door. That said, I landed the part-time job I have now because the big shot manager saw me using my braille display and communicating via tactile sign with an employee and had no idea the deaf-blind were capable of using computers and communicating. He was so amazed he hired me on the spot. Maybe you have a point--I've just never heard of it being mentioned on a resume.

I think is the safest bet. If the volunteer work has something to do with the X position you are applying for, then yes put it. Otherwise I would probably would not put volunteer work on the resume (unless you have a "hobbies/Personal Interest section" on your resume-then file the volunteer experience there).

Old 07-14-2021, 09:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
If it's something that demonstrates some other experience that's appropriate to the job, yes, include it. For example, I included my 12 years coaching youth soccer and years on the Board including President, because it showed leadership. I would not suggest listing volunteer work doing door-to-door for a particular political party, however. That could hurt more than it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search