Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,002,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
You can mention disability if you feel it might put you in a privileged position, employment equity wise, ie. they get incentives for hiring the disabled.

However, explaining the gaps in your resume by attributing them to your disability is plain dishonest, if your disability was not the reason you were unemployed.
Actually, it's the truth, so I am not lying in the least. I just never would have thought to do that as I was certain no one would hire me. I was shocked when it was suggested to me. But if companies have quotas to fill, I just might have a good shot at a job, provided I am in a spot where my disability will not become an issue again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not really. You can say you changed doctors or medications or got additional therapeutic treatments that have resulted in your disability having less of an impact on your daily life, or something along those lines. Vague but explanatory at the same time.

If they push for details, tell them nicely that it's really a matter between you and your doctor and that it shouldn't have bearing on your employment, so you don't feel the need to discuss it any further.
Gosh you are good. It's no wonder you have a job!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Actually, it's the truth, so I am not lying in the least. I just never would have thought to do that as I was certain no one would hire me. I was shocked when it was suggested to me. But if companies have quotas to fill, I just might have a good shot at a job, provided I am in a spot where my disability will not become an issue again.
It's not that they ahve quotas to fill but rather that they can sometimes qualify for certain tax credits for hiring those with disabilities.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:50 PM

536 posts, read 1,430,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hey it might as well work in your favour sometimes. Just like a black person who is discriminated against in some situations, if he can increase his chances to get a job by indicating 'visible minority' on the application, by all means. Nothing wrong with that I think.

I'm all for the 'all-else-being-equal...favour the disabled/black/other minority' to score a tax incentive. What I disagree with is favouring one of these individuals over a clearly more qualified person. For what, a few bucks?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Hey it might as well work in your favour sometimes. Just like a black person who is discriminated against in some situations, if he can increase his chances to get a job by indicating 'visible minority' on the application, by all means. Nothing wrong with that I think.

I'm all for the 'all-else-being-equal...favour the disabled/black/other minority' to score a tax incentive. What I disagree with is favouring one of these individuals over a clearly more qualified person. For what, a few bucks?
Well, since the 70s (I believe) the intent has been to level the playing field, to an extent. While I agree the most qualified person for the job should be hired, I don't think it's right for employers to discriminate based on gaps in resumes. I don't think it's right for them to do credit checks. There are a lot of things I don't think are right. If the truth is there are quotas to be filled (ok, maybe I am demonstrating I'm a dinosaur here and maybe it's all about tax incentives), then it is what it is.

This practice is no worse than say, not sanctioning employers who outsource our jobs overseas because THEY CAN.

At any rate, my preference would really be to be honest rather than have to make up some lie as to why I left such and such job or why I've been out of work or was out of work or temped for so long, etc. Sometimes honesty gets you nowhere, however. If it'll get me somewhere, then I'll speak the truth.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Oh, and one point. There is a HUGE difference between being of a different race than having a disability. The former should have no impact on ability to do a job. The latter will in many cases.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Ok, sorry! I realize I've sort of hijacked my own thread (although I've never quote understood that concept and conversation leads to other conversation), but I'll shut up for now.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:17 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
My wife was in the Junior League and she was a Girl Scout Troop leader (we have no kids). Both go on her resume.

I was a member of the Fine Arts Boosters at our local high school. It will go on my resume if needed.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
My wife was in the Junior League and she was a Girl Scout Troop leader (we have no kids). Both go on her resume.

I was a member of the Fine Arts Boosters at our local high school. It will go on my resume if needed.
Did you specifically indicate it was volunteer on your resume and did she?

Therein lies the rub. My chances go up exponentially at getting an interview if I leave the word volunteer off my resume.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,700,852 times
I put it on my resume and job applications. I don't know if it helps, but, I put it on there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search