Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:11 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

I think it mostly depends on where you live, what type of work you do, and who's doing the hiring. All I know is that my last BOSS was a Black woman with a rather "African-American sounding name," so clearly it didn't hurt her chances. But this was a non-profit organization, where we worked with at-risk minority (Black, Latino, Samoan & Asian) youth - therefore it was probably an advantage, since the hiring managers may have figured she had a similar background. It also looked really good to the kids, as she would often say "I grew up in the ghetto (she really did), and see how far I've come!" They totally respected her point-of-view, and related to her on a level I simply couldn't reach.

So while I do see how Jamal & Lakisha could face name discrimination, it can also work the other way at times... and hopefully most hiring managers realize one thing, that you have no control over what your parents name you. Lakisha's mom might have bad taste, but that doesn't mean Lakisha herself isn't very well-spoken, qualified, and the perfect fit for the job. Personally I wouldn't pass over anyone based on their name, but it's a good lesson for those faced with naming a child. When my sister was pregnant with her daughter, she told me once "I just want to make sure it's a name that works for life. McKenzie (et al) is cute for a little kid, but does it sound like a doctor or CEO's name?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 02:25 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Do you live in the south? Those names may be more common with whites down there. However, in Minnesota, you never see any of those names on non-black people. Never. Most whites here have names like Oleson, Peterson, Gunderson, Svensson, Carlson, Meyer, etc.
Sorry, but I'm having a Golden Girls moment... "Back in St. Olaf, I was madly in love with a man named Meyer Gunderson." LOL

Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! Humbug! View Post
I think this is an interesting set of statistics:

Various academic studies have confirmed that black job seekers have a harder time than whites. A study published several years ago in The American Economic Review titled "Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal?" found that applicants with black-sounding names received 50 percent fewer callbacks than those with white-sounding names.

So if you were couseling a job canidate with an african american name, what you you recomend they do to fight the bias?
I agree. However, "Lakisha" and "Jamal" are not African names. They are African American names.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Keep in mind, it's not just "black-sounding" first names that can cause damage. I'll use myself as an example. I'm multiracial - Black, White and Native American. My first name is as white as the Minnesota snow (you almost never see black guys with it), but my last name screams black. I don't like to think about it, but I'm sure people have thrown my resume away because of my last name. You can use an abbreviation or nickname for your first name, but you can't do anything about your last name short of legally changing it. If your last name is Jenkins, Washington, Harris, Jackson or Bryant, you're pretty much assured of facing discrimination.

Why should you have to change your name, anyway? Racial discrimination just plain sucks.
That is quite true. "Bubba" will have as much difficulty as "Lakisha" will.
http://www.redneckbabynames.com/

Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I find your list of discriminatory names interesting. I know white people with all these names.
Have you ever noticed that most people named "Black" are white and that most people named "White" are black?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Have you ever noticed that most people named "Black" are white and that most people named "White" are black?
No. I know a couple of people with the name White and a few Blacks and they are all white. Everyone I've met with the last name of Green or Greene has been black, but there are plenty who aren't. I have a few friends with the last name of Washington and they are white. I have a friend, a black guy, with the last name of Richardson. Is that considered a black name? It has that 'son' thing going on. I've never given it much (or any) thought.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Keep in mind, it's not just "black-sounding" first names that can cause damage. I'll use myself as an example. I'm multiracial - Black, White and Native American. My first name is as white as the Minnesota snow (you almost never see black guys with it), but my last name screams black. I don't like to think about it, but I'm sure people have thrown my resume away because of my last name. You can use an abbreviation or nickname for your first name, but you can't do anything about your last name short of legally changing it. If your last name is Jenkins, Washington, Harris, Jackson or Bryant, you're pretty much assured of facing discrimination.

Why should you have to change your name, anyway? Racial discrimination just plain sucks.
Uh ... I am Caucasian and have a last name that is more commonly black but never noticed any discrimination due to the name (but then again, I live within the LA Metro area).

Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think it mostly depends on where you live, what type of work you do, and who's doing the hiring. All I know is that my last BOSS was a Black woman with a rather "African-American sounding name," so clearly it didn't hurt her chances. But this was a non-profit organization, where we worked with at-risk minority (Black, Latino, Samoan & Asian) youth - therefore it was probably an advantage, since the hiring managers may have figured she had a similar background. It also looked really good to the kids, as she would often say "I grew up in the ghetto (she really did), and see how far I've come!" They totally respected her point-of-view, and related to her on a level I simply couldn't reach.

So while I do see how Jamal & Lakisha could face name discrimination, it can also work the other way at times... and hopefully most hiring managers realize one thing, that you have no control over what your parents name you. Lakisha's mom might have bad taste, but that doesn't mean Lakisha herself isn't very well-spoken, qualified, and the perfect fit for the job. Personally I wouldn't pass over anyone based on their name, but it's a good lesson for those faced with naming a child. When my sister was pregnant with her daughter, she told me once "I just want to make sure it's a name that works for life. McKenzie (et al) is cute for a little kid, but does it sound like a doctor or CEO's name?"
I totally agree with your sister ... There are millions of cute names but once the child grows into an adult, would those same names be useful to them as they establish themselves professionally speaking? I actually know of a little girl named "Beautiful" ... I can picture her introducing herself to a recruiter or hiring manager: "Hello, I'm Beautiful ..." WHAT were her parents THINKING???!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 01:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I agree that some parents are very thoughtless when they name their children. This poor woman's parents named her Marijauna Pepsi, of all the horrific things. This article tells of how she rose above it:

A woman named Marijuana plays it straight - and wins - JSOnline

Quote:
Police years ago pulled over a young woman who rushed through an amber traffic light. "I'm about to arrest this person right now," the irritated officer radioed to a dispatcher. "She's telling me her name is Marijuana Pepsi Jackson."

It's the truth. Marijuana and Pepsi are her legal first and middle names, and the Beloit woman embraces them as a symbol of her struggle to succeed and to help other children overcome obstacles.

No Mary or Mary Jane or Mary Wanda for her. It's Marijuana, thank you, she's told bosses, co-workers and friends over the years, and even wore it on nametags at work.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:11 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Yes, parents really NEED to think hard about how the name they give their baby will affect them for the rest of their life because an ethnic-sounding name may be great within the family of that culture, but unfortunately, out in the world where there's racism & any excuse to not hire someone, people out in the world can be very unfair & biased. Personally, I don't care for any names ending with -isha, -onda, or -ita.

I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet, but numerous, numerous celebrities, many of them w/ a caucasian physical appearance, have changed their ethnic names to something more American-sounding for the purpose of excelling in the entertainment industry. I'm not talking about stage names such as the singer named Prince, the singer Cher, rapper Eminem, etc.

One example is Jennifer Aniston wasn't born with that name. She was born Jennifer Linn Anastassakis. Her appearance is white & she doesn't have an accent & she STILL wanted to change her name to appear more Amiercan in the public eye. So it's not just non white-looking people making changes.

I don't look down on ANYONE who wants to change their name if they think it will help them have a better/easier life. People have plastic surgery to fix their big noses, get bigger boobs, etc., etc. to feel better & be more accepted & that's their body they're going through pain from & altering.

Here's a couple from tons of sites stating what celebrities' BIRTH names are:

http://www.babynames.com/Names/Celebrities/

http://www.all-babynames.com/celebrity-real-birth-names.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search