Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:01 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,436,553 times

Advertisements

I dont believe this nonsence at all, It may have been true at one point in time but not anymore..
I have Hired and fired alot of people in my working time and not once did it have to do with a persons name or color..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 06:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,114,215 times
I wiill tell they need to change their resume

Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,932,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have never understood why parents give their kids "the ghetto or trailer park baby name the day" (yes we have a radio station here that used to do that every morning). Why do you want to further handicap your kid? Life is already hard. Don't make it harder.
You've got it backwards. Most people don't honestly name their kids the 'ghetto name of the day'. They name their kid a popular name at the time they are born and by the time they are grown the name has taken on a whole new meaning in popular culture.

So then they have the choice of either sticking with their ghetto name, or changing their name. And it's not that easy to go back and change your vital records--your birth certificate, your elementary and secondary school records at every school you ever attended, your college degree, your driving records, your credit records, your work records, your government records--believe me. Plus, ghetto or not, its their name. It's part of their identity. Regardless of what it means to you, it's who they are.

The person with the problem is you, not them.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:38 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,437,359 times
Keep in mind, it's not just "black-sounding" first names that can cause damage. I'll use myself as an example. I'm multiracial - Black, White and Native American. My first name is as white as the Minnesota snow (you almost never see black guys with it), but my last name screams black. I don't like to think about it, but I'm sure people have thrown my resume away because of my last name. You can use an abbreviation or nickname for your first name, but you can't do anything about your last name short of legally changing it. If your last name is Jenkins, Washington, Harris, Jackson or Bryant, you're pretty much assured of facing discrimination.

Why should you have to change your name, anyway? Racial discrimination just plain sucks.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,114,215 times
What about the name Solomon? I guess it can go either way-lol

Old 12-04-2010, 06:52 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,028,208 times
Lakisha and Jamal are actually names derived from Arabic.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:04 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,675,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Keep in mind, it's not just "black-sounding" first names that can cause damage. I'll use myself as an example. I'm multiracial - Black, White and Native American. My first name is as white as the Minnesota snow (you almost never see black guys with it), but my last name screams black. I don't like to think about it, but I'm sure people have thrown my resume away because of my last name. You can use an abbreviation or nickname for your first name, but you can't do anything about your last name short of legally changing it. If your last name is Jenkins, Washington, Harris, Jackson or Bryant, you're pretty much assured of facing discrimination.

Why should you have to change your name, anyway? Racial discrimination just plain sucks.
I find your list of discriminatory names interesting. I know white people with all these names.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Lakisha and Jamal are actually names derived from Arabic.
I know that. The issue is that people, at least in the US, perceive those names as "black" (and ghetto).

Old 12-04-2010, 07:20 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,675,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It doesn't make business sense to hire more expensive workers. That's why the statistic about women making 72% of men is a myth. When experience, job demand (school teachers vs accounts) is factored in, there is hardly any difference.
Also, the government EEO people keep a really keen eye on salaries. If companies truly discriminated like alleged, they'd be sued so fast it wouldn't be funny.
That is what my first post was trying to hint. Businessmen have enough problems without inviting the government into their offices. If it is going to cause a problem to employ someone and be a problem to get rid of unwanted people after they are hired, the best answer is not to hire them in the first place. Sometimes it can be a problem just to call them in for an interview. Businessmen are in business to make money. Nobody wants an employee that may end up in a lawsuit.

I think the government in trying to help minorities has caused them problems in the long run. Jesse Helms said that it would end up causing problems and should never be made law that you have to hire in percentages. Professional ball teams get to pick the best players and don't have to give a representative percentage of whites or any other race on a ball team. It should be that way in the work force too. When people earn their own way they earn the respect that goes with it. No company likes being told who to hire.

If you build a better mousetrap the world will beat a path to your door. If you are the best employee, companies will go looking for you. You can deny it all you want to but a person is known for how they act and what they do. Learn what a company wants and be that person and the job will be yours. Some want the money enough to do that, but others would rather be their own person. It's a choice.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I find your list of discriminatory names interesting. I know white people with all these names.
Do you live in the south? Those names may be more common with whites down there. However, in Minnesota, you never see any of those names on non-black people. Never. Most whites here have names like Oleson, Peterson, Gunderson, Svensson, Carlson, Meyer, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search