Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,332 times

Advertisements

I just got an offer today for a 6 month contract job that can be indefinite. The dilemma is I also got a possible second interview with a job that is more my first choice. I just started looking for a job a few weeks ago and didn't think I would find something this quickly. But I guess having 13 years of experience does help matters.

The question is, should I take the first job or decline it in hopes of getting the 2nd job interview (my chances are good)? The HR person said the hiring managers like me but want to check out other candidates too. He also said his company can not make a decision right away even if they call me in for a job interview.

I'm in no rush as I'm still collecting unemployment and haven't really look aggressively for a job yet. What is a girl to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,625 times
This the advice that was given to me in the same situation. Take the first offer (that is if you like it) but go to the other interview and if the 2nd makes you an offer, then take it and leave the first.

Its a dog-eat-dog world out here and you have to look out for you. Employers can always find new hires.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
This the advice that was given to me in the same situation. Take the first offer (that is if you like it) but go to the other interview and if the 2nd makes you an offer, then take it and leave the first.

Its a dog-eat-dog world out here and you have to look out for you. Employers can always find new hires.
This is exactly what you should do!

And if you know when the second interview is you tell your job you have a dental appointment that took you 6 months to schedule. Or whatever. Just do what you have to do.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the responses. While I would like to take the offer I think I'll decline for now. It's just too soon for me to start working and I really want to keep my options open for something better to come along.

I'm wondering if this is a bad decision given the bad economy but financially I'm doing fine, not great, and can hold out for another 4-5 months for the perfect offer.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM

201 posts, read 432,055 times
What exactly do you do where you are getting all these offers? I agree with taking the first job and leaving if you get the second one. Companies dont care about you why should you care about them, the rules of today are not what they were 10 years ago.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM

8 posts, read 39,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
Thanks for the responses. While I would like to take the offer I think I'll decline for now. It's just too soon for me to start working and I really want to keep my options open for something better to come along.

I'm wondering if this is a bad decision given the bad economy but financially I'm doing fine, not great, and can hold out for another 4-5 months for the perfect offer.
Please take it! I'm begging you!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 PM

Ok, now I'm having second thoughts. I am a project manager with over 10 years of experience. The offer I got resulted from a recruiter who found my resume online. I've gotten a number of inquiries since posting it two weeks ago.

Is the economy really that bad because I read an article recently about more people quitting for better jobs.

More quit their jobs as economy slowly improves - USATODAY.com

I'm going to sleep over this and decide what to do tomorrow morning.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:28 PM

410 posts, read 1,494,988 times
I wouldn't pass up an offer to wait for the "perfect offer". What happens if it doesn't come and you could've had a job and your unemployment runs out???? If you don't get the 2nd job you will still have the first and if that one runs out after 6 months you can recieve unemployment again.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
I just got an offer today for a 6 month contract job that can be indefinite. The dilemma is I also got a possible second interview with a job that is more my first choice. I just started looking for a job a few weeks ago and didn't think I would find something this quickly. But I guess having 13 years of experience does help matters.

The question is, should I take the first job or decline it in hopes of getting the 2nd job interview (my chances are good)? The HR person said the hiring managers like me but want to check out other candidates too. He also said his company can not make a decision right away even if they call me in for a job interview.

I'm in no rush as I'm still collecting unemployment and haven't really look aggressively for a job yet. What is a girl to do?

Is the 2nd interview for a permanent position? If so then go to the 2nd interview.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:49 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,008 times
Quote:

Accept the job offer as there is no guarantees that you will even get called into the 2nd interview for your top choice position. You can always try and find a way to interview should they call you in for the 2nd round. If after that point you get a firm job offer from your top choice, then you are in a position to take that job. It's tough out there so if you decline this job offer and the top choice does not pan out, who knows when you will have another job offer. Don't rely on unemployment to carry you through this tough economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search