Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM

142 posts, read 432,562 times

Advertisements

I normally post on the Chicago boards, but often read this forum for job-seeking advice. I recently found myself in a job-related dilemma and thought this would be a good place to get some feedback. I apologize in advance if this is long-winded...

So, I was laid off in January but quickly signed up with a few temp agencies, and have been getting steady assignments since, through one agency in particular. I have some issues with this agency (will go into specifics later) but at least they've got me working...

In February, they sent me on an assignment at a large commercial real estate firm. It was supposed to be a 2-day "fill in" role, but the firm liked me, so they asked me to come back the following week to help in another department.

Going forward 3 months now, I'm still with the real estate firm, in a temp capacity. I adore this firm. I've worked in almost every department, know almost every employee, and genuinely enjoy the work (admin/support). I would love a full-time offer here, but right now, they don't have it in the budget to hire another admin.

I have spoken with HR, they are very interested in me for "future opportunities," but nothing has opened up yet. I respect this, and continue to work for them in a temp capacity, doing everything right, in an effort to make a lasting impression.

Well, apparently I've succeeded... My good reputation at the R.E. firm got back to my temp agency, who called me recently about a full-time internal opportunity at the agency, actually working FOR them as a permanent admin. They invited me to interview for the position, and I agreed.

Now, I wasn't *thrilled* about working FOR the agency itself, but the salary is good (above my asking range) and I figured it was in my best interest. However, as I said, I have my issues with them...

They are extremely disorganized. They can't keep track of my assignments (even though I'm consistently with only ONE client company), they bungle the dates and hours, bungle the payroll, give me the wrong contact info, etc. Mainly, the errors are on the part of one "senior" recruiter. She's completely incompetent, and rude to boot. Not someone I particularly care to work for/with...

(At one point, one of her errors caused me to be late to my job at the R.E. firm, because she neglected to let me know I was scheduled that day! Fortunately, the HR manager at the R.E. firm was completely understanding, and it hasn't affected my reputation with them.)

Anyway, I went ahead with the interview for the temp agency, and it only served to confirm to me that I don't want to work directly for them. Temping with them is one thing, but NOT as a permanent employee! The company owner was fake and sleazy, the senior recruiter was rude and flaky, etc, etc, etc.

Still, I handled the interview professionally, and despite my (somewhat overt) lack of enthusiasm, made it to the second round of interviews. Round two was even worse... I now know for 100% certain that I DEFINITELY don't want to work for them in a permanent capacity!

Here's my dilemma... I'm hoping that they decide on someone else to fill the internal position, but if they choose me, what should I do? I still want to continue temping for them (particularly so I can work with the R.E. firm) but I'm afraid if I turn down the permanent offer, they'll "blacklist" me. Knowing that senior recruiter, I wouldn't put it past her...

I haven't heard anything yet (except one phone call from the senior recruiter - while I was at the R.E. firm - verbally assaulting me about not sending in my timecard ... Only to call back 10 minutes later to tell me that she found it after all ...) I'm losing sleep and feeling sick over this.

I still want to be their temp, just not their perm, but I'm afraid they'll cut me off from working at the R.E. firm (or other temp opportunities) if I let them know honestly ...

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by oakparkV; 05-17-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,479,465 times
Oh, you're in a bad situation. Does the R.E. firm know that you've interviewed with your temp agency to become permanent? I would think that talking to the R.E. firm's HR and seeing if you could become a consultant for them so that they will pay you directly and cut out the temp agency.

I don't know what to tell you other then what I did. Others will come here with better suggestions then I.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:55 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,170,053 times
Oh man, I could have told you not to work for them. Working for temp agencies, at their offices, generally sucks.

What I would do is tell them that "something" came up and that while you realize a decision hasn't been made (if it hasn't by this point) that you would like to be placed on the availability list for temp positions as you need the flexibility.

I worked at a recruiting agency. Trust me, they NEED you. The vast majority of people don't stick around for temp work and they really need someone to send to their clients, so your good feedback from their clients will go a long way.

If you need more help, let me know..kind of running on low energy right now, but I can elaborate more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search