Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:42 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times

Advertisements

The Jaguar X-Type shared a platform with the Mondeo, but was a different vehicle with different engines, body, transmission, etc. Even the Freelander, not a trouble-free vehicle itself, was built on the old Mondeo platform. And, IIRC, the Freelander and X-Type were built at the same factory. It's not that dissimilar from the S-Type and the LS Lincoln having the same platform, but different applications, with varying reliability results (Lincoln 3.9s have a problem with timing chains).

There was an old thread that I remembered where a member, AnonChick, posted about the problems she had with a low-mileage, well maintained Jaguar that she owned that had a major issue occur that would have resulted in an expensive fix.

Here's the thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...ag-rattle.html

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:02 AM

225 posts, read 368,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You may want to think about retaking geography 101...

lol, sorry I couldn't help myself.
ooo im sorry lol west of Georgia

I didn't even notice I was thinking of the east coast sorry

but geography is my favorite subject too

i made it to state every year for the national geographic bee in middle school. Also I was on the scholastic bowl in high school as the geography genius so im ashamed of myself lol

Old 09-21-2011, 01:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
You should read two other threads in the Automotive section "What will happen when my transmission goes out" and "How hot should a car run?"

Also some classes in driving in the dark might be prudent.

Good luck. Jags are really neat looking cars and fun to drive when running.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
MAFS can go bad in any car. And spending a grand on one is stupid, really.

Anyhow, the MAF for that car is less than $400 brand new as an OEM part. About the same as for my BMW. And surprisingly, about the same as a brand new MAF for a VW or Camaro from the dealer.

'94 is the last of the XJ40, pre-Ford Jaguars. Everything changed in '95. XJ40s were the worst XJs of all of them, worse than the Series I, II, or III cars like mine. And vastly worse than what followed. No wonder you were turned off by them, But it was a different company after that and if you know about car companies, you'd know that.

Just like with the BMWs, people don't know any better, go to a dealer or worse an indy mechanic who sees them coming, get screwed over in parts and labor prices for something that isn't that unusual in ANY car to go bad, and then hate on every other example from that marque from there out. It's human nature, but it's not very intelligent.

I shouldn't be surprised by it anymore, but I still am when I see it from supposedly knowledgeable car fans.
Melloy Jag dealer in Albuquerque quoted me a price of over $990 (not including installation) for the new MAF sensor for my XJ6. Instead I went online and found a guy parting out his working '94 XJ6 because he couldn't sell it and bought his used MAF for $75.

I couldn't unload that car fast enough and the experience with the MAF and relays had me running from Jags. Not surprisingly, the fellow who bought my Jag tried to sell it back to me a month after he bought. He ended up buying a 2nd Jag as a parts car.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
This would be a very poor car to buy if you are on a budget, especially going to school. A Older Jaguar is like driving a Fiat or Lancia at school. My daughters drove Fiats, Lancias and Subaru cars at o Uof Oregon. Only the Subaru was worth it. The three Jaguar cars we own and drive cost a hell of a lot of money to own and drive. We average over 4 K per year on repairs and maintenance. Much worse than the Fiat or Lancia cars. The Jaguar dealer seems to wipe their hands on mink stole grease rags. Only an old Rolls Royce cost more to operate. I love cars, even the unreliable
Cars from the Brits. But you will not be able to drive them cheaply.

Ford put a lot of worthless plastic in the motor, plastic water pumps, plastic intake manifolds, plastic cam drive chain tensioners, plastic upper and lower radiator tanks which mostly are laid on their sides. We have replaced a lot of those parts over the years, oh yes the transmissions do not have a dip stick on some models as the transmission is sealed. We have rebuilt a couple of those as well. Even BMW and Mercedes have put plastic in the motors.

If money is tight go with the Japaneese big Three, Toyota, Honda and Subaru. You will be much happier and have a hell of a lot more spending money. You will also get a lot more trouble free miles.

The X type is all wheel drive and very troublesome. I would never buy one.

Ford did not improve the brand they made the trouble spots just move to different areas of failure. We have had a hell of a lot of cars and still own fourteen, the Jaguars are the most fun to drive and very costly to maintain. They simply are not worth it from a monetary stand point. From a fun stand point what can you afford. Maybe a Dodge Viper or Corvette would be a better car just for the hell of it.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 AM

215 posts, read 544,930 times
Have they not improved since Tata Motors bought the brand?

The new XE, coming out this year, looks awesome.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:07 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,990 times
I've seen older XK8's at prices I can afford and I love the look of them, but I'm scared of expensive repairs even if i might be able to do it myself. The cylinder technology used in the aluminum blocks of the earlier ones sounds a bit too much like that used in the Chevy Vega.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:51 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,365 times
Bought a 2002 XKR supercharged convertible for 15K three years ago.....57,000 miles.
We keep it in Florida and drive it almost daily with NO issues.We absolutely love the car and get lots of thumbs up.
Found a private Jag shop in Naples that is very reasonable should I need a repair.
Cost over 90K new and a bargain if you can find a clean one.I wouldn't be afraid at all....they aren't that tough to work on.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 AM

111 posts, read 112,786 times
Mine was. I don't know about the new ones.

Jaguar is Tata Motors now. Ford got out of it. so my view tends to be the same as other companies Ford got into, then out of...

probably 80s model XJ6. It is what you may call... a classic. I sort of like the Mel Gibson "Ransom" Valden Plas extended wheelbase XJs.. I DONT SEE MANY OF THEM, and thats probably due to sheer cost but. Amazing driver car.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:23 AM

111 posts, read 112,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarscampbell View Post
This would be a very poor car to buy if you are on a budget, especially going to school. A Older Jaguar is like driving a Fiat or Lancia at school. My daughters drove Fiats, Lancias and Subaru cars at o Uof Oregon. Only the Subaru was worth it. The three Jaguar cars we own and drive cost a hell of a lot of money to own and drive. We average over 4 K per year on repairs and maintenance. Much worse than the Fiat or Lancia cars. The Jaguar dealer seems to wipe their hands on mink stole grease rags. Only an old Rolls Royce cost more to operate. I love cars, even the unreliable
Cars from the Brits. But you will not be able to drive them cheaply.

Ford put a lot of worthless plastic in the motor, plastic water pumps, plastic intake manifolds, plastic cam drive chain tensioners, plastic upper and lower radiator tanks which mostly are laid on their sides. We have replaced a lot of those parts over the years, oh yes the transmissions do not have a dip stick on some models as the transmission is sealed. We have rebuilt a couple of those as well. Even BMW and Mercedes have put plastic in the motors.

If money is tight go with the Japaneese big Three, Toyota, Honda and Subaru. You will be much happier and have a hell of a lot more spending money. You will also get a lot more trouble free miles.

The X type is all wheel drive and very troublesome. I would never buy one.

Ford did not improve the brand they made the trouble spots just move to different areas of failure. We have had a hell of a lot of cars and still own fourteen, the Jaguars are the most fun to drive and very costly to maintain. They simply are not worth it from a monetary stand point. From a fun stand point what can you afford. Maybe a Dodge Viper or Corvette would be a better car just for the hell of it.
That car is like an Audi to me... No matter how cool it looked, I could always find something better if I looked. For those that have ever heard that said about Audi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Jaguar