Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:30 PM

12 posts, read 40,314 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking of relocating from NY. We have visited Ponte Vedra and fell in love. I have a 12 yr old. Can anyone tell me about Landrum Middle school? I checked the ratings and they seem good. Are there alot of kids in this area? Are people friendly to transplants? When we have visited, everyone was so nice. (a very big difference from NY). Any details or info about Ponte Vedra would be so appreciated!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 11:12 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,081 times
Ponte Vedra is the wealthiest community in the Jacksonville metro area. You're going to see a much higher percentage of white collar professionals and wealthy retirees than is typical for North Florida. Plenty of kids because of the good school districts - although it's not dominated by young families like some other areas in St Johns County.

Generally speaking, yeah, Jax is going to be a lot friendlier than most places in the Northeast.

Not much else to say about Ponte Vedra other than it's really wealthy and really nice. I have relatives who live there, and I don't particularly like the town because it's just so damn FAR away. So that's one criticism. But Jax is so spread out that's a problem that's hard to avoid no matter what.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Ponte Vedra is the wealthiest community in the Jacksonville metro area. You're going to see a much higher percentage of white collar professionals and wealthy retirees than is typical for North Florida. Plenty of kids because of the good school districts - although it's not dominated by young families like some other areas in St Johns County.

Generally speaking, yeah, Jax is going to be a lot friendlier than most places in the Northeast.

Not much else to say about Ponte Vedra other than it's really wealthy and really nice. I have relatives who live there, and I don't particularly like the town because it's just so damn FAR away. So that's one criticism. But Jax is so spread out that's a problem that's hard to avoid no matter what.
Where do you live? People from JAX are so parochial - they tend to stick in their own neighborhoods - and think every other place in the area is "far away". Guess because we moved here from Miami - we are used to driving all around to see and do things (we used to drive from Ponte Vedra Beach over to Mandarin at least twice a week when my FIL was in a nursing home there - and still get there at least once every couple of weeks to go to Whole Foods). BTW - I feel the same way when someone who's 30 who lives here says they won't drive "over the ditch". There's a lot here - but there's no perfect neighborhood with "everything". So you have to be willing to drive to get what's best in the metro area.

Concerning the demographics in Ponte Vedra Beach - I don't know the overall numbers - but the average age of head of household in my community has fallen from mid-50's in 1996 when we moved in to a little under 40 today. We are - I think - the oldest people on our block of 30 houses. Anyway - CU at the Clay County Fair in April (best county fair in the area IMO). Robyn

Old 03-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Thanks so much for the reply! It seems difficult to get any responses concerning ponte vedra! Driving doesnt bother us, as we live in NY and currently have a commute to work. Our main concern is the kids. I will be moving with my 12 yr old and my sister has 2 toddlers. I am just worried about them being welcomed in the neighborhood ad school. Any opinions on Fiddlers Marsh?? Thanks !!!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:24 PM

154 posts, read 323,888 times
Don't be silly, you'll be fine in Ponte Vedra. It's all about money isn't it?

Old 03-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Not sure what that comment means.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,792 times
Florida319 we are from the NYC area also and will be moving to Ponte Vedra Beach in June. Obviously the area is a little "isolated" compared to where we are now, but we are excited to embrace a NEW lifestyle. Would be happy to keep in touch to fill you in on all the details in a few months.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:16 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida319 View Post
Not sure what that comment means.
Just a snide remark.

But the simple fact of the matter is that PVB is - for the most part - an upper middle class community - with good points and warts. Perhaps I am becoming a "geezer" (I'm 62) - but there are an awful lot of spoiled rotten kids here - who don't take anything seriously (much less their education). I'm sure there are places like that where you're coming from. Robyn

Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 8,242 times
Being from NY , VA, and Fl, my research is making me feel my return to Florida after 25 years--from there--will bring me to the Riverwood/Ponta Vedra area.

There is so much research available on the net with a Google search for quality of schools. Become a joiner -house of worship, sports, gym, volunteer and you will make friends for young and old!! I hope to relocate there in the next four years. New Yorkers from donwstate will need to learn to be laid back. The LI aggressiveness won't be necessary.

CDD is quite an idea to learn about. In Nocatee you will have that extra expense unless the builder picks that expense up. You pay extra for being in a developing community. I am still not comfortable with it.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,210 times
while I don't live out in ponte vedra I have friends who do and they really like it quite a bit. I like the area and it looks like a nice place to live.....sorry I can't be of more help than that!! it was one of those areas that when we drove through it felt like home and somewhere I could live......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville