Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:39 AM

24 posts, read 221,857 times

Advertisements

Can I get some opinions, facts, whatever on the areas of Clay County that are closest to Jacksonville. I'm particularly interested in Orange Park and MIddleburg. What are these areas like to live in? Schools, parks, commute, etc? Is there any shopping or dining to speak of? (NOt talking 5 star or anything, just a few choices)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 AM

924 posts, read 2,607,563 times
Where are you going to work? My best advice is to let your workplace dictate where you will live...

Orange park is a bit congested, you skipped Fleming Island which is very nice, as is Middleburg...

There is a metric crap ton of shopping and dining in all of those places...

Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 AM

I'll be working off of Arlington Expressway. I don't mind a 30-45 minute commute as long as I'm living in the right place. I'm coming from Atlanta, so anything under an hour is golden here.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:00 AM

Are you set on living in Clay county because I think living anywhere except right in orange park would put you at your commute limit... There are decent places in Orange Park but a ton of nice places in Fleming Island and Middleburg...

Any more details about the kind of place you want to live?... Jax has a lot of suburban sprawl so there are restaurants and decent shopping almost anywhere...

Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Tercel95,

I don't know exactly. We haven't visited the area. Right now, we are just trying to find some ideas. We want the typical... good schools,(not overcrowded beyond imagination), low crime, a little shopping (doesn't have to be michigan avenue), I'd like somewhere that has a sense of community (doesn't have to be mayberry). I've heard about Fleming Island and Middleburg.. both are in Clay, correct. I'm not set on anywhere just yet. What are the commute times like from Fleming and Middleburg?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Can you offer some comparisons between Fleming Island, Middleburg, and Orange Park? I was primarily interested in O.P, because it looks closer. Also, I'd like to be close to good parks with quality youth sports programs, particularly baseball.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:50 PM

432 posts, read 1,311,235 times
We live out in Oakleaf Plantation and i LOVE it. Love it.....great community with alot of programs for kids and good youth sports. I'm super happy with my decision to live out here. Orange Park proper isn't my favorite place....honestly I've been here two months and try to avoid the blanding/OP mall area like the plague..........

FI is nice as well......we looked alot in that area too.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve147 View Post
Can you offer some comparisons between Fleming Island, Middleburg, and Orange Park? I was primarily interested in O.P, because it looks closer. Also, I'd like to be close to good parks with quality youth sports programs, particularly baseball.
OP is closer but it is probably the least desirable location in Clay county... It is just more congested, a bit more crime, slightly worse schools, etc... I live in Fleming Island which is an ultimate suburb, white picket fence type deal... I personally love it here but my commute can be terrible...

If I leave at 6:30AM it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to I-295 (about 10 miles). If I leave 6:30-7:00 it would take me 20-25... If after 7:00 30+... If you lived in clay county you would have to take this route to get to I-295 as well...

I am 21 so I am probably not the best person to ask about what is best for kids... I moved here because of the great cost of living, I just couldn't afford to get by in MD...

There are really a ton of nice places to live in Jacksonville, some people on here might be able to give you some more info on places like San Marco, and Mandarin...

Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 AM

754 posts, read 2,819,097 times
Fleming Island pros:

Great place to raise a family; access to food, shopping, entertainment, churches, etc.; low crime; great schools.

Fleming Island cons:

Rush hour traffic is bad. Healthy drive to Arlington.

Middleburg is even farther away from your work. I live in Middleburg and love it, but my commute is much shorter.

Oakleaf Plantation may be an option for you. It's got a lot of the perks that Fleming Island has (low crime, good schools, access to stuff), and if you're working in Arlington, the drive is manageable. It's still not a good drive, but it's a straight shot up Branan Field Road to I-10 east, which will take you into downtown and across the Matthews Bridge to Arlington.

According to Mapquest, driving from the Oakleaf Plantation area to the Arlington area is roughly 25 miles, one way. Driving from the Fleming Island area to the Arlington area is also roughly 25 miles, one way, if you take Hwy 17 into downtown. There are more traffic lights taking the Fleming Island route, but the distance will be about the same. NOTE: Distance does NOT take into account traffic.

If you leave early enough, traffic won't be as much of an issue. Before I moved to Middleburg, I lived on the northern side of Fleming Island, right off of Hwy 17. I start work at 7:00 am. If I left my house at 6:15 - 6:20 at the latest, I got to work on time and 17's congestion was very manageable. If I left after 6:20, especially closer to 6:30, I got caught in 17's congestion. In other words, if you're content leaving for work earlier than usual, the traffic won't be as thick.

Personally, I love Fleming Island. I spend a lot of time there. But Oakleaf is nice, too. If you're looking on a sense of community, I can attest to Fleming Island (and I would guess that those who live in Oakleaf could attest to that for Oakleaf, too). I don't think you can go wrong with either, SO LONG AS you consider your driving schedule and expectations.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM

60 posts, read 314,341 times
It's been a while since I've posted. But, I'll chime in on the Oakleaf thing. We moved here in 2006 and also love it. All of the schools are brand new (two elems and a Jr. High). Plus, the new High School will be opening next year.

The athletic programs are quite active and there are plenty of small parks / playgrounds everywhere. Additionally, the county is in the early stages of developing some land right at the corner of Brannan Field and Plantation Oaks as a regional park. This is across Brannon Field from the aforementioned new High School.

As for shopping, we have Oakleaf Town Center. You'll find a Target and Home Depot as well as a variety of other retail and food chain establishments there. The tenants there have been slowly...but steadily...growing. I recently saw a sign in one of the un-rented buildings there that said University of Phoenix. So, it appears that they are coming to the Town Center as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville