Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM

604 posts, read 4,621,797 times

Advertisements

I would freak out if i had those at my house! sometimes we get those 4" long grasshoppers hanging on the screen and it totally grosses me out. I'd rather have snakes!

Karla - question - how do you take cuttings of the salvia??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
I would freak out if i had those at my house! sometimes we get those 4" long grasshoppers hanging on the screen and it totally grosses me out. I'd rather have snakes!

Karla - question - how do you take cuttings of the salvia??
For the black & blue salvia you say "hey karla, can I have a few rootings !!!"

They send runners out so I have tons !!!

Old 05-09-2009, 05:29 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,813 times
Ok, so on my lemon tree, I have teeny tiny green orbs where the flowers were. Are these baby lemons? They are really small....a bit smaller than my pinkie fingernail.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Karla your garden is beautiful. I love the woods beyond the fence too. I will be new to Jax and love gardening but will be living in a high rise building for now. I'm looking forward to reading this whole thread.

What time of year will greens work? If I have seedlings by around November? Or perhaps it's still too frosty over winter and I should wait till Jan or Feb? The timeframe should be about 60 days or so from planting on most of them.

I like to grow a couple pots of baby greens and will have to plant them now in a bowl or something on my balcony.

They didn't work in Vero it was too hot where I had them even in February so I'm hoping for better luck in Jax. On the other hand my tomatoes in containers didn't thrive either because it was overcast all March LOL....I have two small birds who live with me and love eating.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:04 AM

Jagfan
Yup those are little baby lemons
How many would you say the tree has ?
Also how big is the tree ?
The reason I ask, is once they get to be lets say thumbnail size you are going to want to inspect to see if you have any clusters with more than 3. You will want to remove the smallest one.
The tree at this point has gone through it's own selective reduction, but by going back in and removing a few more, especially if the tree is young, the tree will be able to use it energy to make the remaining ones bigger and juicier.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:08 AM

runswithscissors
Thanks for the nice words about my gardens

When will you be joining us here in Jax?

You should be able to grow tomato's until July
a friend of mine started some tomato's last fall and they did well

A lot will also depend on the sun you will be receiving on you balcony, morning sun will be less harsh than the afternoon sun

Old 05-10-2009, 03:06 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,943 times
I love your garden, Karla.

Someday I hope to have a pretty house with a pretty and practical yard. LOL Guess the house should be practical too but I don't really think it wouldn't be.

JagsFan.... I'm coming to get some lemons when they are ripe. lol

Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM

Hey all of you gardeners this is something you might be interested in

Camp Florida Friendly’s “Going Green”

Come to one or come to all. This adult camp is at the Duval County Extension Office at 1010 N. McDuff Ave. on Wednesdays and Fridays from 10am-2pm.

The cost is $5 per class or $20 for all 4. If you want to make a rain barrel on June 3rd, the class is $35 instead of $5 and to make a worm bin on June 10th the cost is $15 instead of $5. Call 387-8850 to register.

June 3rd - Green Landscape Practices, Irrigation Tune-up Tips, Reduce the Runoff, Optional Activity: Make & Take Rain Barrel.

June 5th - The Look of a Florida Friendly Yard, New & Unusual Trees, Natives, Invasives.

June 10th - Right Plant/Right Place, Annuals/Perennials/Bulbs/ Grasses, Know the Poisonous Plants, plus Compost & Vermicompost. Optional Activity: Make a Worm Bin.

June 12th - Designing a Landscape for your needs...wildlife, energy, veggies, curb appeal and more.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Good news:
My tree fern, that was hit so hard by winter freezes, is loving all this rain, and so do my lemons and limes

Bad News:
I am pretty sure that my tomatoes have drowned

Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 AM

Here is a great link if any of you have Tomato issues

Identification Keys: Florida Tomato Scouting Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville