Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times

Advertisements

tamcim
I am so jealous I haven't seen any monarch cats yet
I planted a lot of seeds a couple moths ago and some of the ones that froze have come back .
if you are looking at taking cuttings for propagation wait a bit till the flowers turn to seed pods
a easy way to collect the seeds so you can plant them where you want, is to take a knee hi and place it over the green pods when they "ripen" the seeds will fall into the knee hi instead of blowing around the yard.

Another thing to remember is Monarchs are milkweed specific. Meaning some will on lay eggs on the red flowers(which from your pictures looks like what you have) one vs the yellow & orange ones and the cats when the eggs hatch will only eat that one.

really love the color of your red hibiscus
If it gets big enough I would love a cutting I could trade some black & blue slavia rootings These attract not only butterflies but also humming birds
I was very successful with propagating regular hibiscus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 PM

My gardens are finally coming back here are a few shots

This is my butterfly garden that pretty much froze down to the ground.
The left is pineapple sage, in the middle is a moon flower bush and the left is black & blue saliva that

I tried something new this year Hydroponic gardening in Rubbermaid type totes
I have potatoes

Carrots & lettuce

This is my herb garden lol I don't use them and am always giving them away
There is oregano, basil, rosemary,Tarragon
I also have fennel,parsley & dill to attract butterflies

This is my Memory garden
We planted the peach tree on the right last year ofter we lost our male greyhound and the one on the left we just planted for our female greyhound that we lost April 1st

We also have a couple potted citrus and well as many baby milkweed for the monarchs lol they are real little so you cant see them yet

These are just some other shots of the garden
3 of the 5 big citrus trees

Closeup of the moonflower bush I took tonight

Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM

276 posts, read 1,135,984 times
karla,
your garden is awesome. thanks for the pics.I am all inspired now to restart my garden. some of my plants have started growing back after dying in the freeze. i need to plant few veggies and i think i will do it this week.

i have a spot(around 10*12 ft) in my backyard which gets sun all afternoon, i was wondering what can i plant there that will live through the jax summer and not die!!. any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM

Thanks amy
It is my "get away" when the phone & dogs start lol can't hear either of them when the mower is going
do you want to grow veggies or flowers in the spot ?
The latest edition of the extension office new leaf just came out and they have a list of veggies to grow now.

It should be on the website I linked before in a few days

I will try to email it to you

Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,943 times
What makes those tub thingies hydroponic, Karla?

Remember, I'm the newbie on gardening. I'm flying up to get my mom from NJ on May 30. We'll be back on May 31. She wants to plant tomatoes and maybe cucumbers. I'm thinking a container garden might be the trick because I don't have a garden etc.

Also, I still want that citrus. Is it better to wait now or work on getting it sooner? No, I don't know what kind. My mom said... How about one of those that grows 2 kinds. I said I didn't think you said that was a good idea. You being YOU, Karla.

Ok, I'm hungry for pizza now. LOL

Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Else View Post
What makes those tub thingies hydroponic, Karla?
I have them filled with perlite there is no dirt at all ,there are holes about 3" up along the bottom.
The water stays in the bottom part and is absorbed into the perlite
I use a mixture of water & fertilizer

We have used these at school for the past couple years and they have done really well

Here is the link from last months new leaf that give more info

http://duval.ifas.ufl.edu/documents/...chapril.09.pdf

page 5

So you and the girls gonna join us for pizza !!!!

we can also do it again when your mom gets here

Old 05-06-2009, 07:55 PM

That is really really neat on those potatoes! I get it now.

Yes, I'll look for the PPP thread to see if we can make it!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM

I know this is the gardening thread but I'd like to post this picture to see if anyone can tell me what the heck these things are... I think these are the adolescent stage of the black jumpy legged looking things with the red stripes that I have all over.

Please ignore the lovely lawn... we (TruGreen and I ... well really just TruGreen) are working on that.

Last edited by Sum1Else; 05-06-2009 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: too add detail i forgot! of course!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:49 AM

They look like juvenile grasshoppers or lubbers to me but I sent the picture to my experts to confirm

I will let you know what they say

p.s. all kinds of questions regarding any kind of outside stuff is great for this thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 AM

Yes, that is it. UGH....
http://www.asergeev.com/pictures/arc...005/454/03.htm
Eastern Lubber Grasshopper - Romalea microptera - BugGuide.Net
Black grasshopper with red trim - Romalea microptera - BugGuide.Net

Suggestions I've read are to hand-pick them and put them in a bucket of soapy water or a trash bag. They are resistant to pesticides once fully grown but the little ones are more susceptible.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville