Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM

97 posts, read 404,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Take the Jax Is Good/Jax Is Bad posts for what they are - personal preferences and experiences. Wherein someone feels that having to get into a car to go anywhere is a negative, there's someone posting right afterwards that it's no big deal ... and back-n-forth it goes.

Posters, such as the ones who've responded so far in this thread, who have something intelligent to say are worth reading. Others, found in various threads here, who rant and vent and blabber, well, take those for what they're worth.

I moved here from other places where perhaps the diversity of things to do was greater (such as NYC), but I haven't found myself bored one little bit. I've found people with similar interests as mine and I don't feel like a fish out of water. Personally I do not mind having to drive to get places because I find traffic here is far less crazy than elsewhere I've lived. Within a short 30-40 minutes or less I have more than enough to do! There are a number of quality community theaters, movie theaters, restaurants, parks and preserves and nature trails, my choice of beaches, a great zoo, a number of good museums, local events in different parts of the First Coast, and enough variety in shopping to keep the experience interesting.

There's a wide variety of lifestyles here and that's a benefit of the Jax area being so wide-spread. There are the cookie-cutter masterplanned neighborhoods (I happily live in one) and older established neighborhoods (I'd be happy there, too). There's urban living in highrises and lofts, rural living with horses in your backyard. There's a variety of waterfronts: ocean, ICW, St Johns River, lakes and streams, man-made ponds.

People are diverse here, too. There are those who've lived nowhere else and those who've come from somewhere else. There are close-minded people and those who are open to anything. There are those who've never been to the symphony, those who attend every once in a while, and those who are subscribers to each and every season. Some people know about the annual Holiday Boat Light Parade and fireworks, but have never been, while others wouldn't miss it and plop themselves early on the riverfront to get a great spot.

There are times when I miss the hustle and bustle of Midtown Manhattan, but I don't expect Jacksonville to be a replica of that, and I like Jax for exactly what it is.
Gosh I'm glad you and others that posted above are here! Excellent, excellent post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:42 PM

29 posts, read 62,696 times
We like JAX. No question about it. We're ready to drink the Kool-Aid. The problem is the JOB MARKET. You know... "It's the economy, stupid!"

I am a professional IT (Information Technology) project manager (PM) who leads a large team of designers and developers who build nationally recognized high-traffic web sites (some of which you may have visited). The problem is that I don't see any similar opportunities in Jacksonville. When I search Yahoo or Monster or Google or the local JAX newspapers for open jobs in JAX, I see things such as: "truck driver" or "security guard" or "assistant manager at donut shop." These are highly respectable (and necessary... and important) jobs, but they are not commensurate with my experience and education. Where are the $100K+ IT management positions? Where are the Fortune 500 companies?

I really want to make the move, but I need to find a decent career down there!

Thanks for all the great responses by the way. Please keep 'em coming.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM

238 posts, read 782,546 times
Yeah as my g/f and I were looking for jobs we never found anything good in those classifieds. The best source for me was the UNF career services postings but I don't think those are open to the public. The best thing to do would be to find some companies that are of interest and apply through their websites. Email the HR personnel with your credentials. Also try and get in contact with a headhunter company. There are jobs to be had, the hardest part is the search. Good Luck!

Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Also, alot of these shipping companies at the port use serious information systems for logistics,tracking cargo, dispatching, equipment management, etc... It's possible these new asian shipping and logistics companies (Mitsui, Hanjin..) will be looking for someone with your background

Old 01-22-2009, 03:11 PM

Not sure UNF would work for me, as I'm not an alum and am not a recent grad (I'm in my early forties). I agree that contacting companies directly is the best way to go. Unfortunately, I don't have a very long list of companies which I know operate in JAX. And I've already checked with the few that I do know - and, sadly, have come up empty. As with everything else in life... it's WHO you know. And I know, well... no one.

I will look into Mitsui and Hanjin. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Mitsui and Hanjin web sites do not indicate a JAX presence. Did they just move there?

Old 01-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn10025 View Post
Mitsui and Hanjin web sites do not indicate a JAX presence. Did they just move there?
They are brand new to the port. Hanjin is here, not fully setup. I believe Mitsui is still in the process.

I just direct messaged you with some info

Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 PM

45 posts, read 73,958 times
I've lived in Jax for over 20 years and worked at UNF for 13 of them. I'm retired now, but know the director of Career Services there. He's a great, down-to-earth guy. I'm wondering if you could sign up for an online course, thus becoming a UNF student and then have access to that office's assistance. You can reach the director through UNF's website (University of North Florida Go to Current Students, then to Student Affairs, then to Career Services and his email is at the bottom of the page). I know he'd tell you what it would take to use their services. I agree wholeheartedly with the relatively positive posts about Jax. I've been happy here (my husband and I are originally from the Great Lakes area and Connecticut, respectively) apart from the summer heat and humidity. I've never adjusted to that, nor to Christmas without snow. Well, and then there is that Bible Belt thing.... but that's the south as a whole. Good luck with your plans!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Kerrybean - Any objection to my contacting him and using your name? I promise not to embarrass you!

Last edited by shawn10025; 01-22-2009 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: directing this to kerrybean

Old 01-22-2009, 05:37 PM

45 posts, read 73,958 times
No problem at all. I'll DM you right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville