Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here live around that area or know it well as soon as the economy picks back up in Florida i'm coming back to Jax as i can't stand being away from the beaches/ocean anymore. I remember a Winn Dixie and also a GNC on Atlantic back in the mid 90's when i lived over in the area but does anyone know if there are workout gyms and also health food stores in the area now as it's been 13 years since i left in 1995.

The drivers License is the Tax Collector office correct?? on University Blvd West. Also how's Atlantic Blvd from Regency to the beaches is it crazy to drive now? Is it still swampish by the Intercoastal waterway bridge area....

Thanks to anyone who can answer.
6/3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
You are in for a treat !

The Atlantic Blvd area and surrounds has boomed . There are Publix stores all around the area, Winn Dixie, A SuperTarget (on Beach) that carries organic groceries, regular Targets all over, there's a fantastic farmer's market inside the Beach Blvd flea market where you can get unusual veggies....there's no lack of food options in the area .

There's a GNC in the Saint Johns Town Center - across the street from UNF. There might be one on Atlantic too, but the only one I've been to is the one in SJTC.

There is still a DMV on University Blvd West, right by Hala Cafe. There's also a DMV on Kernan Blvd @ Beach and another on Beach @ San Pablo.

Most of the roads in the area you're speaking of have been redone. The roads have been widened, new bridges go over the Intracoastal, you're going to see big changes .

Old 09-04-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
You are in for a treat !

The Atlantic Blvd area and surrounds has boomed . There are Publix stores all around the area, Winn Dixie, A SuperTarget (on Beach) that carries organic groceries, regular Targets all over, there's a fantastic farmer's market inside the Beach Blvd flea market where you can get unusual veggies....there's no lack of food options in the area .

There's a GNC in the Saint Johns Town Center - across the street from UNF. There might be one on Atlantic too, but the only one I've been to is the one in SJTC.

There is still a DMV on University Blvd West, right by Hala Cafe. There's also a DMV on Kernan Blvd @ Beach and another on Beach @ San Pablo.

Most of the roads in the area you're speaking of have been redone. The roads have been widened, new bridges go over the Intracoastal, you're going to see big changes .
Thankyou very much Riveree !!!! I can't wait to see all the changes !!!

Thanks again !!
6/3

Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 AM

859 posts, read 3,618,531 times
6/3, if you want to "see" it before coming back, check out google streetview, JAX edition was recently added.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
6/3, if you want to "see" it before coming back, check out google streetview, JAX edition was recently added.
Thanks Travelingfood as that is a cool feature by Google.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,607 times
There is a GNC on Atlantic @ Hodges... but I don't know of any others on Atlantic. We have 2 FreshMarkets now, and a Whole Foods coming. Chipotle just put their sign up at the Town Center. The Intracoastal has a new 6 land bridge on Atlantic, and a new 6 laner under construction on Beach. There is a Bally Total Fitness on Baymeadows. We actually have a Louis Vuitton, Johnston & Murphy, and Brooks Brothers now. In November, we will have a Saks Fifth, Michael Kors, and Cole Haan Outlet less than 20 minutes away. We have 2 IMAX screen in town now... all this in just the almost 3 years I have been here. I am very impressed. Other than that, rent and electricity are still affordable (relative to what I used to pay). Weather has been very nice lately.

Downers: I swear that Southside traffic gets worse everyday. The wider they make the roads, the worse it gets. Downtown is still not half of what it should be. Bureaucracy is still allowing developers to build parking lots bigger than the actual shoppes, which is adding to even more endless sprawl. Still no sign of rail within my lifetime. Still no easy way to get from JTB to 103rd, but yet they are building another Interstate from Duval to SJCounty, and planning an "outer beltway from I-10 to I-95, south of the beltway.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Oh yeah, a gym....

Jax also has some recently opened Anytime Fitness gyms and there's one in the new shopping center "Huffman Commons" @ Beach Blvd & Huffman Road, next door to FCCJ.

Gyms all over...you won't have a problem finding one .

Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
There is a GNC on Atlantic @ Hodges... but I don't know of any others on Atlantic. We have 2 FreshMarkets now, and a Whole Foods coming. Chipotle just put their sign up at the Town Center. The Intracoastal has a new 6 land bridge on Atlantic, and a new 6 laner under construction on Beach. There is a Bally Total Fitness on Baymeadows. We actually have a Louis Vuitton, Johnston & Murphy, and Brooks Brothers now. In November, we will have a Saks Fifth, Michael Kors, and Cole Haan Outlet less than 20 minutes away. We have 2 IMAX screen in town now... all this in just the almost 3 years I have been here. I am very impressed. Other than that, rent and electricity are still affordable (relative to what I used to pay). Weather has been very nice lately.

Downers: I swear that Southside traffic gets worse everyday. The wider they make the roads, the worse it gets. Downtown is still not half of what it should be. Bureaucracy is still allowing developers to build parking lots bigger than the actual shoppes, which is adding to even more endless sprawl. Still no sign of rail within my lifetime. Still no easy way to get from JTB to 103rd, but yet they are building another Interstate from Duval to SJCounty, and planning an "outer beltway from I-10 to I-95, south of the beltway.
Lots of great info and THANKS Gradco !!!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Oh yeah, a gym....

Jax also has some recently opened Anytime Fitness gyms and there's one in the new shopping center "Huffman Commons" @ Beach Blvd & Huffman Road, next door to FCCJ.

Gyms all over...you won't have a problem finding one .
Great about lots of Workout Gyms !! Also i got to thinking that there is probably a GNC at Regency Mall as that is in the area.

Another question?? Didn't they build an expressway from Regency to Mayport (Wonderwood ?) as they were talking about that when i left in 1995. I do know about the new Fuller Warren bridge and the widened Buckman as they just started that when i left and the completion of the Loop Freeway I-295 on the eastside of Jax.

Anyway thanks again to all !!!

Old 09-05-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Great about lots of Workout Gyms !! Also i got to thinking that there is probably a GNC at Regency Mall as that is in the area.

Another question?? Didn't they build an expressway from Regency to Mayport (Wonderwood ?) as they were talking about that when i left in 1995. I do know about the new Fuller Warren bridge and the widened Buckman as they just started that when i left and the completion of the Loop Freeway I-295 on the eastside of Jax.

Anyway thanks again to all !!!
Wonderwood is up and running, we also have the Southside Connector in the Regency area. Further down the road, the overpasses are going in on Kernan, so you'll soon be driving under Kernan when you're on Beach Blvd and you'll be doing the same when on Atlantic (that overpass hasn't broken ground yet though). 9A/I295 is completed, just a few more ramps left to open.

It looks completely different here now .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville