Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 AM

257 posts, read 1,131,354 times

Advertisements

Hello, Im from Northern VA right outside of DC. I am starting school at JU here in a few weeks. It seems to me when i visited that the Arlington and immediate area around JU wasnt the best. Can anyone tell me if this is the truth? I really liked Regency area and St Johns Town Center. Also i liked the quitness of the beaches. But for some reason i noticed right around the school was probably the worst that i saw down there. And we went alot of places staying east of St Johns. So I just need some info on that area, crime, and all that kinda stuff, and what you think a College kid can do in and around town. I did notice staying in the Hyatt that Jax was dead at night but come monday morning every parking lot was full. So just some insider native tips about the area and attractions. Appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 AM

365 posts, read 699,211 times
Arlington/Regency are near downtown, and are rather older sections, I would not live in Arlington or Regency either really, Charter Point is near JU, and its nice tho, youre very close to the St. Johns River out there, if you drive East I think it would be, on University Blvd. youll see the river residences eventually...youll find in Jax, that many neighborhoods are a mixed bag of good/bad elements...at least thats my take on it anymore, I live at the beach, and its the same...but if youre attending the university, Id try to live further out if you can manage it and just comute to the school with a friend or someone.... downtown is not really a good night life place, but it does often have famous people appear at some of the theaters and small venues, I dont do much clubbing but Id say thats one you might do better with near San Marco or even the beaches... but beware, the nightlife is not that great and from what Ive seen out here at the beach, its on the decline out here too in terms of safety...

Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 AM

btw, I think there are some nice rentals going up around the back of the town center...kind of behind the big Italian restaurant that is there...you know we also have the University of North Florida directly behind the town center too that is a lovely college... more rentals near there too...good luck

Old 12-19-2007, 07:47 AM

oh, if you do decide to stay near JU, Neros Italian Restaurant isnt bad, its on Univ. Blvd, they have pizza nights on Tues/Thrs.... 2 large pizzas for the price of one (16.85 total)...its good pizza, my kids love it, lol...so theres one point in that favor of town....

Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 AM

ha ha pizza is a good thing. Yeah i looked into UNF as well but they do not offer a geography program. especially specializing in coastal management. Only reason i picked that over UNF. I love the st johns town center area....but its a tad to far to drive...unless i knew a quicker way. I know 9A runs right there and i could take it to merrill...so maybe next year. On campus this year until i find cheap. And everything down there is cheaper than the No. VA. area.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 AM

81 posts, read 324,509 times
This is my part of town. There are pockets of crime, like Justina Road, but on average it's as safe as anywhere. Property values are reasonable if you're looking to buy or rent a house. If you want stuff to do, you'll be driving a lot.

Nero's is good. Also at Ft. Caroline and University, there's Publix, Royal Pizza, and Hunan Wok.

At the corner of Merrill & Cesery there's the University Diner, BK, Gene's Seafood, Subway, and Save-A-Lot.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:16 AM

youd HATE the traffic near the towncenter too in the morning, lol...omg, its HORRIBLE, lol...good to hear you can live on campus, that makes me feel better for you... like 1972 says, thers alot out your way, just check it out, I love the trees in that area, we dont have much of that left out here at the beach, just the palms mostly...

Old 12-19-2007, 08:26 AM

i sure do love palms....but traffic...HA...jacksonville seemed liked a country drive to me. DC and the capital beltway...well it sucks...and i have never been anywhere thats worse yet. Not that i have been many places...but from philly to the keys is pretty much my only roaming grounds....and I still think DC is the worst...seeing how it starts almost 50 miles out and baltimore is hugging the back side of DC which just makes everything so lovely! (sarcasm) but Thanks for the advice. Like i said the beaches and town center really hit a sweet spot for me. Just got no friends yet. Flying solo till i figure something out.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:37 AM

you probably will think its a cakewalk then compared to where you are... Ive lived in florida almost all my life...raised in Gainesville, home of the UF Fightin Gators, youll enjoy those games over there, my brother is a judge there and graduated from law school there and he teaches there now, his son could not get in to the law school so he went to the coastal law school here and graduated from it in Dec06 and they held his graduation ceremony at the UNF auditorium, and the rest of my family lives there too, so Im tootin my own horn too much arent I?...lol, ... Ive lived out here at the beach for 17 years now... watched it change and grow in all ways...the palms are just beautiful. sometimes the city of Jax Beach has too many and they used to sell them to home owners, lol... welcome to the first coast, as we call it on the news channel, lol, youll love it, you sound pretty flexible...

Old 12-19-2007, 08:51 AM

yeah i am. I love florida in general. For about two years all i would visit is Ft Lauderdale because my uncle was sheriff....thought that was the best place ever. But once i grew up and realized...its one of the most unrealistic places to try to live a normal blue collar job...i traveled elsewhere ha ha. Visited grandparents in Sarasota all the way to ft myers, went to tampa, just started going to Panama City and tallahassee...but i am definitely a fan of Florida. Just moreso Jax down to titusville and then sarasota area. so i think itll be a good thing to do to go to college there to get my feet wet with the state and actually live there and not spend 2 weeks in a house while vacationing. Just hope it goes well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville