Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,149 times

Advertisements

We bought a house about a year ago. The backyard has a septic tank mound thats currently all sand and weeds. Behind the mound theres about a foot and a half of space, on the sides of the mound its just a steep slope. We want to get rid of the weeds and grow some grass. How should we do this? I was thinking the most economical way would be to kill the weeds, put down some topsoil and then bahia grass seed (most drought resistant). Maybe plant some shrubs on the sides since its just a slope. Also thought about sod, but my husband thinks that the seed will be less expensive. Its a small yard too.

If anyone has any ideas. We are desparate to get something going with the yard. Our little pugs are constantly getting stickers in their little paws

Thanks for all your help,
Jasmin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 06:08 AM

725 posts, read 2,572,559 times
The Pugs should not be living in sub par conditions; call a landscape architect ASAP.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 AM

154 posts, read 646,032 times
I'm not an expert but let me say this, I do not like St. Augustine Grass. It's very delicate and costs a fortune to maintain. I would go with a good Bermunda Grass Sod. To me, the only drawback with Bermunda is the fact that it will "run" into your flower beds quickly. It spreads fast but it's very drought tolerant and loves the heat. That is why it's used on most golf courses here in the south. Good Luck!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,471,642 times
Lots of ideas swimming in my head on this one !

First I'll say, sod is cheaper than you'd think . If all you're doing is covering a septic mound, you should be able to do that for under $200...maybe even less.

I totally agree with Slick though, St. Augustine grass sure sucks up a lot of resources .

Growing grass from seed is very difficult in Florida. As you well know from your description, if there's an open spot of dirt, weeds will move right in.

So my thought is to skip the idea of growing any typical grass on the mound at all...who wants to do all that mowing anyway?

I'd look to either:

1) native grasses

2) groundcover

You could plant some gamma grass or muhly grass and have a beautiful native florida look. You could even intersperse blanket flower for a wildflower look. Once established, these plants will need little to nothing from you - no mowing, no watering, no fertilizing, and as a bonus, you'll support our native wildlife.

A groundcover could give you a less wild look. Creeping fig is beautiful, a small dark leaf that will densely fill an area. There is also a small leaf jasmine with a glossy dark green leaf that would do the same thing....you see this under old live oak trees in a lot of nicely manicured neighborhoods. Both of these can be trimmed with a weedwacker from time to time.

A small shrub/groundcover that grows like a weed is lantana. It will grow to be a mounding shape no more than 3 feet high and covered in flowers. Once established, lantana basically needs nothing from you as well. I just planted some purple ones and they are taking off really well and it's barely been a week!

To learn more about these and other options, check out Floridata, they have good pictures of all the plant life that grows here:

Welcome to Floridata

Old 05-10-2008, 06:54 AM

2 posts, read 7,149 times
Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I was thinking of putting ground cover but our yard is really small. So that would cut out most of the area that the little pugs can play in. I think we are gonna kill off the weeds, put down some topsoil and get sod. We do need to get topsoil for the sod to grow right? Currently its 2 or so feet of pure sand. Also the mound is in direct sunlight all day.

Thanks again everyone.
Jasmin

Old 05-10-2008, 10:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,471,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasminD View Post
Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I was thinking of putting ground cover but our yard is really small. So that would cut out most of the area that the little pugs can play in. I think we are gonna kill off the weeds, put down some topsoil and get sod. We do need to get topsoil for the sod to grow right? Currently its 2 or so feet of pure sand. Also the mound is in direct sunlight all day.

Thanks again everyone.
Jasmin
The sod comes with it's own layer of soil attached. There's no need to supplement the sand unless you really want to.

I know some people will add lime to "sweeten" the soil (change the ph) or add topsoil or organic matter to try and improve the soil.

Personally, I would not bother. St. Augustine grass (which is most likely what you'll be getting if you are going the sod route) does really well in sandy soil. Just follow the directions for watering and fertilizing to ensure a good start and deep roots and you'll be fine .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville