Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:52 PM

14 posts, read 63,271 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the Navy and we will be transferring to JAX next year. We are trying to get research done early about the best town/city to buy a home in. We are looking for a really good school system, with a great special needs emphasis. Our son has speech problems and have been told our youngest does as well. We have been told by people that have lived in JAX that the school system is awful and to buy in Clay county. We were looking at Middleburg, Orange Park or Green Cove Springs. Any opinions on these cities would be GREAT...Or of a different city/town within 30 minutes of driving to NAS JAX. Thanks so much!

Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:09 AM

725 posts, read 2,572,559 times
I don't know those areas but you can compare schools on this site:
School Sites (http://www.clay.k12.fl.us/school_sites.htm - broken link)

Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 AM

702 posts, read 2,186,609 times
What grade levels are they in?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 AM

My oldest will be in Kindergarten when we move down there. The other is only 1 1/2.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 7,040 times
Red face Don't think twice about a decision to move to Clay County

Hi, I have both a niece and nephew that needed speech therapy and both are in Clay County schools. One will graduate this year and the other is 4 yrs old and in a speech program that is half a day, five days a week at Fleming Island Elementary. He will be going to Thuderbolt Elementary in the fall and continuing with the program if still needed. My neice, now a senior, went to Patterson Elementary, for speech therapy for a few of her early years. All of these schools are here on Fleming Island, which is still considered Orange Park, but not within the city limits.

I cannot encourage you enough to buy in Clay County. We're retired military and have four children, two of which are in schools here on Fleming Island. I know what it's like moving like you do and promise you, don't think twice about Clay County schools Vs Duval. Hands down winner is Clay.

A friend of mine lives in Jax, but teaches in Clay. Actually, she just became an assistant principal at an elementary here on Fleming Island. She has a son with serious special needs and Thunderbolt Elementary is doing a fantastic job with him! They live half way between here and Mayport because her husband is stationed there, but will retire this year. They, too, will then move to Clay County.

FWIW, my father retired from the Navy here and I went to school in Duval, then moved to Clay for my high school years. Trust me, don't think twice: move to Clay County. Taxes are cheaper, too.

I posted under the other thread about Orange Park. Go read. This is my first time finding this site today. Write if I can help you more.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:14 AM

Thanks so much. I am glad to hear that Clay county is the way to go. Thanks for all the info!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:13 AM

870 posts, read 2,181,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainenavywife View Post
My husband is in the Navy and we will be transferring to JAX next year. We are trying to get research done early about the best town/city to buy a home in. We are looking for a really good school system, with a great special needs emphasis. Our son has speech problems and have been told our youngest does as well. We have been told by people that have lived in JAX that the school system is awful and to buy in Clay county. We were looking at Middleburg, Orange Park or Green Cove Springs. Any opinions on these cities would be GREAT...Or of a different city/town within 30 minutes of driving to NAS JAX. Thanks so much!

Jessica
The school system in Jacksonville is not awful. My children were educated is the DCPS, and I was pleased with their education.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:57 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,026,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagFan27 View Post
The school system in Jacksonville is not awful. My children were educated is the DCPS, and I was pleased with their education.
A friend of mine had his kids at Bolles, but transferred them to Mandarin High in their Junior year. He said it was hard for them keeping up with the rich kids. They were much happier @ MHS and did very well there. Interesting, eh.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:21 AM

549 posts, read 2,206,396 times
Duval county has speech therapists, which are very good. We also have many good schools here...it all depends on what you're looking for.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:50 PM

6 posts, read 27,637 times
Look in St Johns county, Julington Creek/Fruit Cove area. A few of our neighbors & friends are military families, so I know that the commute is not terrible.

PLUS, the schools here are great! Check out greatschools.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville