Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 PM

307 posts, read 560,036 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating to Jacksonville area. There is a house I am inquiring about in the Mandarin community. Is this a good community? I mean in terms of quality of life, low crime, good recreation activities, decent folks, and such. Will be just me and my wife, no pets. Don't need a job...no, we're not wealthy...just comfortable and in good health. Thanks for any input from anyone who knows this area. Any other good area I should consider not only in Jax but in nearby areas as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 07:07 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
I've lived in Mandarin for most of my 20+ years in Jacksonville. It has seen a lot of growth during that time, and home builders are still looking for land to grab in this area. Aside from commuting to a job or the occasional trip to a large shopping mall, there's not much reason to leave this area. My wife doesn't travel more than 5 miles from our house during her daily routine. We're very happy here.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 AM

Default About Mandarin community

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I've lived in Mandarin for most of my 20+ years in Jacksonville. It has seen a lot of growth during that time, and home builders are still looking for land to grab in this area. Aside from commuting to a job or the occasional trip to a large shopping mall, there's not much reason to leave this area. My wife doesn't travel more than 5 miles from our house during her daily routine. We're very happy here.
Thanks, Eric. That's encouraging. Good that you're in the real estate. I saw an ad for a georgeous, large house for rent in the Mandarin community. It's just right for us...but I am concerned that this might be a scam. No phone numbers on the ad...only an e-mail address, which I promptly contacted for additional info. That was last night...still no reply. I'll give it more time. Then, this morning, saw the ad again...this time the contact e-mail is different from the previous one. I may check with some property management agencies in the Jax area. Again, thanks for your reply.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:24 AM

If you don't mind, send me a DM with the property address and I will look it up for you to verify.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:24 PM

Default About Mandarin community

Quote:
If you don't mind, send me a DM with the property address and I will look it up for you to verify.
I went back to Craigslist to look up the ad but it's gone! It did not show an address nor contact number to call but it was well composed...beautiful photo of the house and shots of the interior...quite impressive. This was the ad posted:

$1170 / 3br - 2034ft² - 3 bed & 2 bath detached family property including two car garaging (jacksonville FL)

3 BR 2034ft2 house
Thіs homе іs located іn the highӏу sought community оf Mandarin! This large tԝo stоrу homе hаs a large yard which has a pond іn the reаr. For yоur privacy, there is only onе hоme neхt doоr! The homе is FՍLLY renovated: new pаіnt inside and out, new wood & tiӏе flooring downstairs, nеw carpet & tіlе fӏooring upstairs, new blinds, fаns & lighting fіxtures, nеw соuntеrtops & cabіnets thrоughout! Dоԝnstairs is a lаrge fаmilу room & fireplаce, an office with double doоrs, a formal dіning room, kіtchеn & new арpliаnces with eat-in sрace & eat at bаr, a half bath and a large sсreеned in porch. Locatеd upstairs are three bеdrooms wіth new carpet and 2 full bаths with new tile installed.
Don't miss оut on this beautу!

The e-mail address shown on the first posting I read: phillishuffman863@hotmail.com

When I checked the posting the next day, I found it again but this time the contact has changed to: polkrosalinda150@hotmail.com

I e-mailed both addresses but did not receive a reply. Strange. Let me know what you can make of it.
I hope we find another one like this one; my wife really liked the house.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Yeah, that has the makings of a scam ad, especially when they use an email address with what is sometimes the property owner's name. You'll be hard-pressed to find a 2000sqft 3/2 in Mandarin for less than $1400/mo.

I found those 2 ads:
Three bedroom and three bathroom detached family dwelling + 2 car garage
3 bed & 2 bath detached family property including two car garaging

If you do get a response, beware. craigslist | about > scams

Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Same house, but this one has an extra kitchen! LOL

3 bed & 2 bath detached family residence plus double garaging

Old 12-07-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Same house, but this one has an extra kitchen! LOL

3 bed & 2 bath detached family residence plus double garaging

Also LOL from me! You're right...when it's too good to be true...it probably is. We plan to find a temporary lodging in the area at first so we can be more comfortable (that costs less) while searching for a permanent house. You know an agency that deals with temp lodging? Not the tourist type...as we are not going to be tourists on vacation in the Jax area. We do not have to be at or near the water nor near any of those usual tourist traps, golf courses, etc...just a place we can be comfortable in and use as a base ops for our search. We are in a temp cottage right now in Prescott Valley, AZ (we came to check out the area)..a 2 BR place complete with everything and a 10-acre backyard with horses; only $700/month incl all utilities. Very comfortable...but we must move on. We decided to head farther east and settle...to be close to family & grandkids. We have been away from family for many years (my job took me around the world twice)...now it's time to settle in one place and be close to family. Thanks for checking into that probable scam.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 AM

Some apartment complexes have "corporate rentals", which basically run month-to-month leases. Those will be higher $ per month VS long-term leases, but it offers the flexibility to get out at month's end with proper notice. I don't have any specific community names, but they shouldn't be too hard to find. A former buyer-client rented a corporate unit at 54 Magnolia | Apartments in Jacksonville, FL 4-5 year ago, before purchasing their home. I don't know if that was through their company, or if they found it on their own. That's the only one I know of, but there are likely others.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Some apartment complexes have "corporate rentals", which basically run month-to-month leases. Those will be higher $ per month VS long-term leases, but it offers the flexibility to get out at month's end with proper notice. I don't have any specific community names, but they shouldn't be too hard to find. A former buyer-client rented a corporate unit at 54 Magnolia | Apartments in Jacksonville, FL 4-5 year ago, before purchasing their home. I don't know if that was through their company, or if they found it on their own. That's the only one I know of, but there are likely others.
Will keep that in mind. Thanks. My daughter has a friend in St. Augustine who rents condos on month-to-month and got a place for Jan. It looks very nice and comfortable so we're heading there 2nd of Jan. Will use the condo as our base ops for searching the right house. I'm sure we'll find the right house to our liking. Will be checking the various areas in the northwest corner of FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville