Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 PM

26 posts, read 40,928 times

Advertisements

We like a house design and lot in murabella with dr horton builder

We are close to signing a contract and wanted a last check with you all before we green light.

Any concerns about this builder in this area?
Any positive stories as well

Also as build goes on should we get our own inspection done on top of the county ones

Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
I have not heard any real horror stories about DR Horton but I always felt more comfortable with a local builder rather than a national builder. The quality of a house might sometimes lie with the integrity of the people building the house, especially the foreman, but right or wrong I believe the local builder is more accountable to the buyer than a national builder.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycfoster View Post
We like a house design and lot in murabella with dr horton builder

We are close to signing a contract and wanted a last check with you all before we green light.

Any concerns about this builder in this area?
Any positive stories as well

Also as build goes on should we get our own inspection done on top of the county ones

Andy
If you're looking for a builder that uses the cheapest possible materials, the cheapest possible labor, builds quickly and with very little integrity, geared towards appeasing shareholders rather than the homeowner, then yes, DR Horton would be a great choice!

SS

Old 07-21-2013, 09:40 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,256 times
Andy
As the above post recites Dr Horton is a mass builder of poor quality like Barratts were in the UK
Yes always get a home inspection at the 4 stages of building and you cannot rely upon the Building Inspector as he is only looking for breaches of code
Peter

Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
Check out Cornerstone Homes. They build in Murabella. A reputable builder.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:15 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Check out Cornerstone Homes. They build in Murabella. A reputable builder.
I'm not positive, but I think JL Linder might still have lots in there as well. Them and CornerStone are way above DR Horton. Good call!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 AM

This is so tough, we have a nice large lot, know people in murabella and my wife loves the house layout. Now torn left and right on what to do. The main builder guy at this site has been with dr horton for 23 years which gives me some confidence in the work but then you also have me worried.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,256 times
I think the message Andy is don't go with Dr Horton
I thought you planned a long rental as then you can get the lie of the land and be really sure where you want to be and build with
At the moment there is a resurgence in new home building and last time this happened there was much corner cutting and problems which may be repeated again as the builders try and build as much as fast as they can
There are many new sub divisions and builders popping up you may be unaware of.
You know how to contact me if you need any direct help.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:59 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,994 times
Building a home is the largest investment of money, time and stress anyone can get themselves into. IMO, if you go with DR Horton, you very likely will( sooner or later) regret your decision and your money outlay, time outlay and stress level will rise far above what you ever imagined. Try Cornerstone, they have a very good reputation for quality and responsive customer service. If you do decide to forge ahead with DH Horton, I hope all the stars are perfectly aligned during the building process and your build is void of major difficulties.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM

Thanks everyone. We checked out a build half way through today and I could not see anything that worried me from a decor p The super has been with them 23 years and we met with others that had not hear of any major problems.

We met a family on the road that were so nice and the lot is so good at 85 by 164 onto water that its hard to pass up.

Peter my wife did a three week trip to check out areas and murabella seems to tick all the boxes. With prices / rates going up we decided to get in now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville