Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times

Advertisements

We are coming down for a very short visit in March to visit both Amelia Island and St. Augustine to get a small "flavor". We certainly understand that you can't get to know an area in a short amount of time, however, we know pretty much when we see a place if we want to come back and explore more. So far, from what we have heard and seen online, unless it is far different "in person" we will be coming back to Amelia to visit more.

We also know to rent first....

That said, we want to make the most of our visit, and talk to locals, and drive some neighborhoods that might be possibilities if we were to someday buy.

Our ideal budget is 250K. Size: 1,500 - 2,000 sq ft. 3 BR, 1.5 bath. We do require a smallish yard that would alllow a 6' privacy fence for our dog - @6K sq. ft - .25 acres.

We love the "look" of Amelia Park, but not sure of the lot sizes, or if it is out of our price range.

The only other requirement we have is that it is a safe neighborhood that a woman would feel safe walking a dog alone at night.

We would love to be closer to town or the "necessities" - drugstore, grocery store, library. We don't know how Amelia is laid out, so not sure where these things are, but as we get older, the shortest distance we have to drive to things, the better.

We would love a community with sidewalks and green space as that is easier with a dog, but that is a wish, not a necessity.

Can anyone recommend a few neighborhoods to visit on Amelia and in St. Augustine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 AM

448 posts, read 829,002 times
IMO - This seems to be one of the nicest homes available in your price range on Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach, FL.
1526 Persimmon Cir S, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034 - Zillow

Old 12-29-2012, 07:17 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Amelia is only about 13 miles long so as you say you will know pretty much right away if you like the flavor. As far as neighborhoods.......the island is laid out pretty weird with pockets of subdivisions in the city limits and in the county.....meaning the county subdivisions have less of a tax burden.

Through the middle of the island...north to south there is the Egans Creek Greenway which is a nature trail a lot of people walk their dogs or just walk for exercise or scenery.

Amelia Park is very nice but it is on the high end....other neighborhoods are, Pirates Bay, Lakewood and The Arbors.

The housing market is tightening up and the rental market is definitely tight, but renting would be really to your advantage. It is kind of like a scavenger hunt now as you see pretty great deals pop up only to be snatched.

If you do a little homework before you get here you should be all set as Amelia is a small beach community and has so many amenities within a very very short driving area. Saint Augastine on the other hand is pretty large in size and has a lot to offer over a larger size area.

I believe you will find everything you need here on Amelia Island.....but as I have mentioned in the past...our medical facilities have only gotten better and our shopping and restaurant choices have grown........but as far as specialized medical care or high end shopping you will be looking to Jacksonvile for those needs.

I would contact a realtor for a welcome package as the Chamber of Commerce has a really nice map of the island along with several publications about the island.

DM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck.....you have chosen two really nice areas to think about retiring.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,659 times
You are wise to aim for a neighborhood with sidewalks if you enjoy walking your dog. Your price range may make it difficult to find what you are looking for in the St. Augustine area. If you want a newer home, I would suggest looking in Heritage Park which is located off State Rd 16 between US1 and I-95. It's a really nice area of homes with a new grocery shopping plaza nearby and 2 large outlet malls within 10 min drive. Downtown St. Augustine w/ public library 12 minutes. If you don't mind an older, well maintained home, I would suggest also looking at St. Augustine Shores. It is located east of of US 1, north of State Road 206. There's a branch library, grocery store, Walmart and box store plazas within 10 minutes. The neighborhood is 20 min. from downtown. Both areas have sidewalks and are extremely safe for walking at anytime of the day or night.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM

54 posts, read 127,944 times
I am in a pretty similar situation and spent a week in October scouting a few places in and around Jax including a few days on Amelia Island. I personally was very impressed with Fernandina Beach but I can't offer any comparison to St. Augustine. I would second what JB said in that it's a pretty small island but has quite a bit to offer for it's size. If you're looking for a good size lot, Amelia Park is probably not the place. My impression was that it was very nice but the developer crammed as much as he can in the space he had. The south end of the island near the plantation is absolutely gorgeous and I'll add a couple of links at the end of a couple of homes I just found on a mls search near there. Another thing I caution is that when you do an online search you'll find a lot of homes that say they are in Fernandina Beach but in fact are more like they are in Yulee. One neighborhood like this we toured was Oyster Bay harbours. That was amazingly beautiful but like I said, I wouldn't call that in Fernandina Beach. It's pretty well removed from everything and closer to Yulee. There a quite a few nice little neighborhoods in Fernandina that if you just spend a day or two looking you'll get a really good idea.

4944 Windward Pl, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034 - Zillow

5334 Florence Point Dr, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034 - Zillow

Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
I live in Heritage Park and am happy to answer any questions . I must say that Amelia and St Aug are two totally different types of living and I would not chose Amelia unless I wanted solitude!

Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
I live in Heritage Park and am happy to answer any questions . I must say that Amelia and St Aug are two totally different types of living and I would not chose Amelia unless I wanted solitude!

I hope more people think that way about Amelia Island We love our small town beach community feel

Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,088 times
peter the brit - can you explain what you mean by "two totally different tyoes of living?"

Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
peter the brit - can you explain what you mean by "two totally different tyoes of living?"
My perspective as I mentioned is Saint Augustine has a lot more to offer because of it's size than Amelia if you are looking for a larger beach type community.

Saint Augustine has come a long way since my friend relocated there in 1982, Winters it seemed the town shut down and the big box stores were always a drive to Jacksonville. Everything you need is conveniently located in town now. We love Saint Augustine but for all the amenities it has to offer you have to admit the traffic is a bit during tourist season is a bit hectic.

Amelia, lacks specialized medicine and specialized shopping needs, those are in Jacksonville, everything else is in close proximity and I do not feel isolated from anything I need or could want.

I hope we do not have the growth Saint Augustine has had. The real estate market has bottomed on the island and we are seeing an uptick now. The Ritz Carlton and Omni resorts have both nearly completed major expansions and for the first time since before the boom are having job fairs this month. While a lot of these jobs are not high paying it will only put more of a squeeze on an already tight rental market.

A lot of those wishing to retire in Florida or anywhere for that matter are never going to find that perfect utopia.....renting at least gives you the option to get a good feel for the area...it sure is a lot cheaper than paying closing costs and realtor commission for a house that was a mistake to buy. At least Saint Augustine and Amelia are close enough so that renting in one of these places allows you the option to spend time exploring both. My other advice to those from up north......come visit in July and August for a few weeks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville