Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 06:12 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times

Advertisements

Thinking of taking the wife and boys up to Amelia tomorrow to check things out and shoot some photos (I'm also a photographer). Planning on going on the ferry as my boys haven't done that yet.

I don't know much of anything about Amelia (just moved to JAX). Anything in particular we should check out. We're on a limited budget.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Thinking of taking the wife and boys up to Amelia tomorrow to check things out and shoot some photos (I'm also a photographer). Planning on going on the ferry as my boys haven't done that yet.

I don't know much of anything about Amelia (just moved to JAX). Anything in particular we should check out. We're on a limited budget.

Thanks.
Big Talbot Island has some really neat trails. One of the trails leads to a beach with a bunch of what I call ghost trees. You could get some good photos. Its a nice walk form the road

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 AM

615 posts, read 1,712,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post

Thanks.

I'm interested to know, too. We've never been up that way. Where do you catch the ferry - and is it a car ferry or just people? Where does it take you to?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Fort Clinch is really nice for photograpy and walking trails (there is a fee for entry). You can check the fort out along with the fishing pier there. Also do a google search for Egans Creek Green Way, it is a walking trail that is towards the north end (Jasmine off of North Fletcher) of the island where you might see some wild life. Downtown is a nice place to visit and if you catch it right you will see how they make fudge at the candy store, there are also a lot of little shops. At Main Beach (goggle Sandy Bottoms for location) you will find quite a few people out looking for sharks teeth on the beach, I'm told it is the best area to find them. We have a small museum and a lighthouse, but sorry to say we have not visited either yet. It's a nice ride up A1A after you get off of the ferry. American Beach, Peters Point and Seaside Park has availabilty to take your vehicle out on the beach if you are driving something that will not get stuck. If you had time, downtown is also the jumping off point for Cumberland Island which is part of the National Seashore. There are also quite a few reasonably priced mom and pop resturants on the island! Good luck and enjoy

Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
I'm interested to know, too. We've never been up that way. Where do you catch the ferry - and is it a car ferry or just people? Where does it take you to?
It's a car ferry. I believe it's like $3. Just drive North on A1A until you get there (if you're on the south side of the river).

Old 02-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the ideas of places to check out. Will look into all of them. I'll have to post some photos if I get anything worthwhile.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:19 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Echo what everyone said. Amelia Island is a very lovely place, next to St. Simons Island, GA. I go to both spots just about every weekend and I see couples there just enjoying themselves to the fullest

Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Fort Clinch is really nice for photograpy and walking trails (there is a fee for entry). You can check the fort out along with the fishing pier there. Also do a google search for Egans Creek Green Way, it is a walking trail that is towards the north end (Jasmine off of North Fletcher) of the island where you might see some wild life. Downtown is a nice place to visit and if you catch it right you will see how they make fudge at the candy store, there are also a lot of little shops. At Main Beach (goggle Sandy Bottoms for location) you will find quite a few people out looking for sharks teeth on the beach, I'm told it is the best area to find them. We have a small museum and a lighthouse, but sorry to say we have not visited either yet. It's a nice ride up A1A after you get off of the ferry. American Beach, Peters Point and Seaside Park has availabilty to take your vehicle out on the beach if you are driving something that will not get stuck. If you had time, downtown is also the jumping off point for Cumberland Island which is part of the National Seashore. There are also quite a few reasonably priced mom and pop resturants on the island! Good luck and enjoy
This is a nice little description, well put!
The museum is actually pretty cool because it takes the visitor through the island's indigenous era as well as the history of all 98 flags.
You can't go up the stairs in the lighthouse, so for me that kind of takes away the enjoyment. But there is a nice view of it from the Ft Clinch trail.
Ft Clinch and Egan's Creek Greenway are wonderful, I go to one or the other once/twice a week. I've seen gators, deer and all sorts of birds.
Cumberland Island is simply splendid: Stunning scenery, ruined mansion, wild horses and fascinating history.

It turned out to be a beautiful day so hopefully the OP is having a good time.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:21 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times

Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM

So we just headed North on A1A and sort of hit a few places. Took the ferry--the boys loved that. Stopped in one of the parks, drove up to Fernandina and bummed around town a little. Then hit Main Beach for the boys to look for shark teeth (didn't find any). All in all, had a nice day.

Shot some photos. Unfortunately, the light was too harsh as it was in the middle of the day. Oh well, here are a few...

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville