Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,072 times

Advertisements

So was able to have a date night with my wife last night. Decided to try the Tree Steakhouse in Mandarin as so many people rave about it. Being from the NE, I've been to my fair share of steakhouses and I loves me some good steakhouse steak!

Anyway, had a late dinner (8:00) and was surprised to see the place was fairly empty on a Saturday night. I'm used to places like this being PACKED on weekends. But I also know it's fairly common around here for places not to be packed (with some exceptions of course).

Anyway, after looking their website up online I wasn't expecting a traditional steakhouse like a Gallagher's or a Ben Benson's (both in NYC). True to their website, they're not like a traditional steakhouse at all. They're more like just a basic restaurant. Yes it's all painted dark and all that to try and emulate a traditional steakhouse but that's not what makes a traditional steakhouse. Not a big deal, however, since I was there for the food anyway.

We sat in the bar area where they had a pianist playing. Was pleasant to listen to him play while we enjoyed our alone time together.

The menu is surprisingly sparse. I was looking for a good french onion soup--a MUST have at a steakhouse, IMO--but there was none there. We opted for the lobster tempura and it was excellent. I always get lobster tempura when it's offered. Something about the tempura which brings out the best in a lobster tail.

If you've never been there, their specialty (apparently) is the ribeye. You order the size you want (last night it was $2.35 per ounce) and they cut it and cook it for you. Obviously, it can get a bit expensive if you'd like a larger cut. My wife got the ribeye and ordered the smallest cut you can--8 ounces. I decided on the prime rib as I didn't feel like a ribeye last night and the price for my favorite cut--NY Strip--was just way too outrageous to me.

My wife's ribeye was cooked perfectly. I did have an opportunity to taste it and it was quite good. However, there was a bit of a grease smoke taste to it--that sharp smokey taste you can get if too much grease is burning and smoking your meat. But it wasn't horrible.

My prime rib was also cooked perfectly and tasted very good. I got the larger cut and it was plenty of meat for a guy my size (I'm a big dude). I thought it a bit strange they just poured aus jus over the meat but didn't give more on the side (I asked for more) but it was a minor thing. However, the aus jus was much too salty. Was edible but too salty.

Now, as far as the service was concerned, well, let's just say it left a bit to be desired. When we first arrived, there was nobody at the hostess area. We waited for a few minutes before someone came to help us and this wasn't the hostess. I thought that odd but I wasn't going to let that ruin our night.

Once we were seated in the piano area--they just told us to go in and sit where we wanted--it took a while for a waitress to come to us. No menus when she came. She took our drink orders then went off and did her waitress thing then brought the drinks and menus.

She did check with us at appropriate times, however, we were never offered dessert. We were just handed the check with a polite thank you. No offer of dessert? No offer of after dinner drinks? That was strange.

The bill for the two of us was $82 (with tax). Now, my wife had 1 glass of wine and I only drank soda as I didn't feel like any wine and we were going out after dinner. We only had the lobster bites and nothing else extra. I thought the bill was much more than it should have been for what we got there.

So, overall, I have to say the food was good but they need to clean up a few things (the smokey smell and too much salt), but they're lacking severely in the service department. If I'm going out to spend that much on a dinner, I expect better service. I think they're incredibly over-priced for what they are. Honestly, you can get just as good of a steak at The Outback Steakhouse and get better service for half the price. When you start charging Ruth's Cris prices, you need to provide Ruth's Cris type service. I have no problem paying more for a better meal and better service. Unfortunately, I didn't get either at the Tree Steakhouse. It was good--we enjoyed our meal--unfortunately, the experience was lacking in many ways. Because of this, I have to say I was disappointed in the Tree Steakhouse and probably won't be going back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 01:11 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,503,929 times
Good to read. I've thought of taking my wife there. Some people rave about it and some throw it under the bus. Good to hear another reviw

Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Good to read. I've thought of taking my wife there. Some people rave about it and some throw it under the bus. Good to hear another reviw
Yeah, it's unfortunate as I was expecting much better. The cost is the biggest problem, however. Way too much for what you get.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:34 PM

222 posts, read 425,514 times
Thanks for the review. I have been undecided about whether to try it out as I hear so many mixed reviews for it. Think I'll hold out for now based upon your review.
I do know people who enjoy going to the bar there to listen to the music and have a cocktail.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
I took my wife and her BFF/girlfriend to Texas Road House (Orange Park )this evening and we all got 16 oz. Ribeyes just as good/if not better than the Tree Steak House for $80.00 including tip. That's 3 steaks, 2 sides each an appetizer and 3 iced sweet teas for less than what the Tree charged for 2 people.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I took my wife and her BFF/girlfriend to Texas Road House (Orange Park )this evening and we all got 16 oz. Ribeyes just as good/if not better than the Tree Steak House for $80.00 including tip. That's 3 steaks, 2 sides each an appetizer and 3 iced sweet teas for less than what the Tree charged for 2 people.
Yeah, that's about what I'm saying. Never been to Texas Road House but I've heard of them and it doesn't surprise me.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
We used to go to The Tree a lot and were happy there, but once we went to the Texas Road House we have never gone back. Except when invited by some friends of ours who live behind there, on Mandarin Rd.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Good review, Rick. Thanks for sharing. I know someone who knows the owner, so I've passed this along to them.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Good review, Rick. Thanks for sharing. I know someone who knows the owner, so I've passed this along to them.
Great! If, for some reason, the owner wants to speak with me to learn more about my experience, I'm fine with that. I wouldn't complain if I didn't think they had some potential.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:15 AM

34 posts, read 65,414 times
I went there once. It is sort of a nice place. The only thing which I didn't like was the rice pilaf. The rice was hard and crunchy and hardly cooked. I can't believe the cooks let that get to a table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville