Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM

13 posts, read 29,056 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Jacksonville from the Chicago area. Our biggest concerns are finding a quality high school for our son and daughter and living in a low crime area with things for the kids to do like shopping, swimming, etc. We're looking to rent somewhere in the $1100-$1500 price range (3/4 BD-2BA).

Last edited by ChiGirl629; 06-18-2012 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: title change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,310,546 times
We are looking to relocate to Jacksonville from the Chicago area. Our biggest concerns are finding a quality high school for our son and daughter

Here's the high school ratings in Jacksonville:
http://schools.jacksonville.com/fcat...&action=Search

4 A's
5 B's
8 C's
2 D's
1 F

and the bigger picture:
FCATs Released; Duval Schools Remains a 'B' District | firstcoastnews.com

and living in a low crime area with things for the kids to do like shopping, swimming, etc.

There's shopping virtually everywhere in Jax. Are you talking about mall shopping or local botique shopping? These types of things are typically not in the same areas. Local botique and shops are found in and around Downtown and the Beaches, and mall-type shopping is found almost everywhere else.

Swimming? There's relatively few public pools in Jax. Joining the YMCA or a swimming club is probably the best avenue to swim.

We're looking to rent somewhere in the $1100-$1500 price range (3/4 BD-2BA).

Should be enough.

Here's some options that fit your criteria:

In St. Nicholas/San marco/Spring park area:
3or4 Bedrm/2bathrm St.Nicholas/San Marco Avail. in MidMay or June 1st

&

Beautiful all Brick home in San Marco, fenced yard, Craig Creek view

Here's a map that shows where these areas are (just SE of Downtown):

Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 PM

285 posts, read 608,848 times
I've said this before and I'll say it again... Three words: Julington Creek Plantation. It's in St. Johns which has the #1 public school system in the state, tons of activities and sports for kids and it's near the beach.

Check out...

Julington Creek Plantation CDD

Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 AM

82 posts, read 154,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirl629 View Post
We are looking to relocate to Jacksonville from the Chicago area. Our biggest concerns are finding a quality high school for our son and daughter and living in a low crime area with things for the kids to do like shopping, swimming, etc. We're looking to rent somewhere in the $1100-$1500 price range (3/4 BD-2BA).
Where did you live in Chicago? What part of the City or which suburb? And did you like that area? Let me know and I"ll do my best to suggest a comparable area down here.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWATTY View Post
Where did you live in Chicago? What part of the City or which suburb? And did you like that area? Let me know and I"ll do my best to suggest a comparable area down here.
We currently live in the SW burbs of Chicago. We've lived here for quite some time (15+ years) but we are disappointed with the area. Main reasons for disappointment: very high taxes ($7500/yr for a 2300 sq ft home), nothing for teens to do, have to drive everywhere (I know JAX has similar issues but the Chicago area is supposed to be more pedestrian friendly), no bang for our buck--no village police department--we're serviced by county sheriffs, no park district, not very many restaurants or shopping, exorbitant water rates ($140/mo not including garbage). We've stayed here for job/economic reasons but we're ready to relocate to a less expensive area.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Thank you for your detailed information--very helpful!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM

I will definitely look into this--thank you!!

Old 06-20-2012, 03:21 PM

148 posts, read 427,118 times
Hi, there. I'm moving to St. Johns county next week from Chicago. I highly recommend the zip code 32259. You will love the homes and the school system is top notch. Many people in St. Johns are transplants from elsewhere and most folks are very friendly. You will love it.

Read this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...-homes-st.html

Good Luck.

T

Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks Theresa--I appreciate the info. Congrats and best of luck on your move!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 AM

82 posts, read 154,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGirl629 View Post
We currently live in the SW burbs of Chicago. We've lived here for quite some time (15+ years) but we are disappointed with the area. Main reasons for disappointment: very high taxes ($7500/yr for a 2300 sq ft home), nothing for teens to do, have to drive everywhere (I know JAX has similar issues but the Chicago area is supposed to be more pedestrian friendly), no bang for our buck--no village police department--we're serviced by county sheriffs, no park district, not very many restaurants or shopping, exorbitant water rates ($140/mo not including garbage). We've stayed here for job/economic reasons but we're ready to relocate to a less expensive area.
I lived in the SW burbs for 18 years. The taxes will be much lower down here.

If you want schools as good as SW burbs, stay in St. Johns County. Jacksonville has some good magnet schools, but otherwise their public schools can't compare to the quality you're used to. Plus many of their magnet schools are located in dicey areas. To give you an analogy, it's like having the students from Sandburg or Lincoln Way attend school at Proviso East or Thornton.

You may have CDD fees, as many developments have them here, but it'll still be lower than suburban Chicago property taxes.

I'll focus on 32259 as someone else recommended. I don't live there, but my wife works there and my kid plays sports there so I'm in the area often, so I think I can give some decent advice.

32259 has a lot of promise, but you will have to drive everywhere, just like where you currently live. The parks in 32259 are one of the few areas in FL I've seen that rivals the parks available in the suburbs of Chicago. Parks are more athletic fields than playgrounds in 32259, but there's some of both.

You will be served by County sheriff in 32259, but such a situation is more common in FL than in IL. I have noticed that St. Johns County sheriff's office is better at actively patrolling than a few other counties in FL I've been in.

32259 is a bedroom community for Jacksonville, so you may have to go into Jacksonville for some shopping and for certain restaurants. I do like that 32259 has a lot more mom and pop restaurants than most areas of FL. Not as many as you see in IL, but more than is typical in FL.

If your teens are active in sports, they will have plenty to do. Otherwise, I could see life being boring for a teen in 32259. But the high schools in the area are all very, very good academically.

Any other questions, feel free to send me a Direct Message or post here. I hope these comparisons help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville