Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2007, 01:46 PM

22 posts, read 151,534 times

Advertisements

My husband & I currently live in East-Central Illinois. We are in our early 30's.
We are looking to find a nice, clean part of Florida that has nice beaches & a decent cost of living. Is that even possible...everyone tells us how expensive Florida is! That scares me a little? My husband will be transferring with his current job. I am a massage therapist & will be looking for employment once we relocate. We enjoy shopping & dining & going out from time to time. But don't really enjoy the partying-bar scene on a regular basis. Which area would you recommend for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 PM

25 posts, read 98,700 times
Default Check into everything

Hi, I can't say that know anything about Jacksonville except that it is the largest city in Florida. The Tampa area however, the home prices have sky rocketed and the traffic congestion has become a nightmare in most parts of the city. I am in the New Tampa area, it is said to have the better schools through out the county. Traffic is awful and home prices are out rageous, the homeowner's insurance crisis and the homeowner's tax crisis is enough to give any one a second thought.

However, we love the beaches in Clearwater and folk are pretty nice for the most part. I would also consider the Sarasota area, about 60 miles out of Tampa. The best beaches around and a great little Amish community with really nice restaurants.

If considering Tampa, I would give a serious look into the Carollwood section of Tampa and if your house mark is any where in the $350 and up range you may want to look into Hyde Park/SOHO area.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:55 PM

284 posts, read 1,656,926 times
I have lived in several states and moved to Jacksonville just over a year ago. It's a very nice city. You will find all sorts of different housing and neighborhood options. Lots of new construction, but also areas with more character/older homes.

Prices have gone up here, too, but I think it is more affordable than Tampa. I also think you can live closer to the beach (if you prefer that) for less money here.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Default thanks to you both

I appreciate your opinions! I wish I could just come down & spend some time in each area before decided, but that's not possible! How about the weather? How cold does it usually get in the winer months in Jacksonville area? I know down South it stays pretty warm, but have been told it can be pretty cold up North?

Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 AM

272 posts, read 1,000,988 times
This morning it was 25 degrees...brrrr...
just cold enough to kill all the mosquitos before summer hits!

However, it will be back up to 70 by the end of the week before another 'cold front' comes....

this is the typical weather pattern for January...

Old 01-30-2007, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 66,075 times
My wife grew up in Jacksonville, and I spent 4 years there while in the military. If you've got kids, you might want to consider private school. In my wife's opinion, the duval county school system is pathetic. Not to mention that you will be sitting in traffic for hours during the peak times, which is pretty much all day. Is there lots of things to do there, Yes. Jax has great variety of entertainment venues, shopping, restaurants etc...The beach itself is mediocre at best. The crime rate is pretty high, it is comparable to Miami, and Jax is even worse in regards to Theft and Rape statistics. The weather is hot and humid most of the year, but the winters aren't to bad, in my opinion.

Overall, both my wife and I couldn't wait to escape Jacksonville.

Last edited by Pony; 01-30-2007 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-30-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Thanks Pony!

Do you & your wife still live in Florida? Or have you escaped the entire state? In your oppinion, what part of Florida would you recommend? As I had mentioned before, my sister & brother in law live in Pembroke Pines (near Miami), he is in the Coast Guards. I would love to live as close to them as possible, but I am afraid that my husband & I won't be able to afford the cost of living down there (we aren't getting extra pay from the military ): would be nice though). Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions. I was doing a little research into the Titusville - Melbourne area???

Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branson205 View Post
Do you & your wife still live in Florida? Or have you escaped the entire state? In your oppinion, what part of Florida would you recommend? As I had mentioned before, my sister & brother in law live in Pembroke Pines (near Miami), he is in the Coast Guards. I would love to live as close to them as possible, but I am afraid that my husband & I won't be able to afford the cost of living down there (we aren't getting extra pay from the military ): would be nice though). Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions. I was doing a little research into the Titusville - Melbourne area???
Thankfully, we have escaped Jacksonville for good. We moved to Montana, which is where I was born & raised. Unfortunately I can't give you a recommendation on where to live in the rest of the state because we never lived anywhere but Jacksonville. I was temporarily stationed in Pensacola, Florida at the beginning of my military career and I loved it there.

My wife's brother is in the Coast Guard, but he's stationed in Jacksonville. You are right about not living in or near Miami, the cost of living would break most people's bank account. I'm not sure what you mean about the military and getting extra pay?...A good majority of the military live below the poverty line and that includes all their "extra pay".

I'm sure there are some wonderful places in Florida to settle down in, but Jacksonville is not one I would personally recommend.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 AM
jmc

101 posts, read 862,611 times
Honestly, parts of Jacksonville are not that bad. Sorry about your experience, Pony. We just moved here and love the Julington Creek area. I think the key to Jacksonville is to move "east" of the river and avoid the northwest side. Our area in Julington Creek seems virtually crime-free. It does get cold, though. Good luck!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Honestly, parts of Jacksonville are not that bad. Sorry about your experience, Pony. We just moved here and love the Julington Creek area. I think the key to Jacksonville is to move "east" of the river and avoid the northwest side. Our area in Julington Creek seems virtually crime-free. It does get cold, though. Good luck!
Julington Creek is a nice area...My wife lived in Jax for 21 years, and in various parts of the city...she still would not recommend living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville