Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:17 AM

79 posts, read 113,398 times

Advertisements

Thanks Everyone! Does anyone know about Oakleaf Plantation Parkway - Oak Point. Seems really nice, very well maintained homes, A rated schools, we loved a home there. And, as far as commute, it'll take my husband about 30 minutes...seems to be the commute/ traffic issue from everywhere - to where he will be working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 AM

32 posts, read 62,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mina21 View Post
Thanks Everyone! Does anyone know about Oakleaf Plantation Parkway - Oak Point. Seems really nice, very well maintained homes, A rated schools, we loved a home there. And, as far as commute, it'll take my husband about 30 minutes...seems to be the commute/ traffic issue from everywhere - to where he will be working.
There is absolutely no way you're going to get from Oakleaf over to Beach Blvd. in 30 minutes unless he's going in in the middle of the night. I lived there (5 years) and worked at Memorial Hospital and commute averaged 1 hour or more (with wrecks and rubberneckers ). If you want to keep the commute short, stop looking on the west side of the river. There are plenty of nice places on the east side.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 AM

705 posts, read 1,575,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinV View Post
If you want to keep the commute short, stop looking on the west side of the river. There are plenty of nice places on the east side.
Exactly. Didn't you say you were working with an agent? Why aren't you looking off Beach or Atlantic, where you said your husband is going to work? Again, what's wrong with that area? Seems like there are plenty of decent neighborhoods there. Then, depending on where on Beach your husbands work is (I don't believe you mentioned it), he could be 5-10 minutes from work.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:05 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Quote:
All the houses we were looking at , are 40 plus minutes to my husband's office , we dont want to be that far from it. He will be working at Beach Blvd, and we were looking at houses in Orange Park, Fleming Island ,JCP.

Now, even some houses in Fleming Island and even St Johns are closer to his office than some of the houses in Orange Park. Everybody says in Orange Park the traffic is horrible. Now , i have other people saying st johns is high in crime. Seems like everyone is defending where they live and really not helping at all.

I am going to see some houses this saturday, and just want to know where are some nice,safe, family friendly places that aren't THAT far from where my husband will be working.

Bartram Springs and places centrally located near NAS and Mayport seem nice and close to where my husband will be, are these areas good?
You need to look at San Marco/Miramar (pretty much the same neighborhood) and St. Nicholas.

St. Nicholas

Urban Neighborhoods: St. Nicholas | Metro Jacksonville

San Marco

MySanMarco.com | San Marco - Historic Jacksonville Community

San Marco Preservation Society

Miramar

Urban Neighborhoods: Miramar | Metro Jacksonville

Both San Macro/Miramar and St. Nicholas are far, far, far closer to Beach Blvd than the areas you're currently looking at and are ideal for what you're looking for.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM

79 posts, read 113,398 times
Thanks, Everyone. We didnt start looking in Oakleaf , Fleming ..etc .. for any particular reason, we wanted to look everywhere and those houses and areas were the most that we were drawn to. He will be out of the home at 5am...more than likely so we think ( by what his co workers have said) he would avoid the " rush hour". When he gets out of work, that could be another story..but he doesnt mind the commute so much for the right house and area...and seems like we found it. Thanks, Again! Im checking everything you guys gave me to look at

Old 04-29-2012, 04:05 PM

203 posts, read 597,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
As reported in another thread 5 of the 10 most dangerous/worse intersections in Jacksonville are on Beach Blvd.

#2) Beach Boulevard / Hodges Boulevard
#3) Beach Boulevard / Southside Boulevard
#7) Beach Boulevard / University Boulevard
#8) Beach Boulevard / SR-9A
#9) Beach Boulevard / San Pablo Road
Dangerous in what way?

Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead948 View Post
Dangerous in what way?
A lot of auto accidents. Robyn

Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM

203 posts, read 597,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
A lot of auto accidents. Robyn
Well if that's what Madcap meant I wasn't suggesting she live in the middle of the intersection. Mina asked for nice, safe, family friendly places close to her husband's job on Beach Blvd. I'm way off Hodges about 2 miles south of Beach and I think it's a great area. There are lots of great areas very close to Beach Blvd. so why not live close to her husband's job. I love being close to the shopping at St. John's town center and all along Beach Blvd. I also like being close to the little bit of night life in Jax Beach. The best part about living here is my 10 minute ride to the beach. I don't feel safety is an issue but I do agree you should drive carefully and don't forget to use your safety belt.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Thanks, Everyone. We didnt start looking in Oakleaf , Fleming ..etc .. for any particular reason, we wanted to look everywhere and those houses and areas were the most that we were drawn to. He will be out of the home at 5am...more than likely so we think ( by what his co workers have said) he would avoid the " rush hour". When he gets out of work, that could be another story..but he doesnt mind the commute so much for the right house and area...and seems like we found it. Thanks, Again! Im checking everything you guys gave me to look at
If your husband is working on Beach and anywhere (you didn't say exactly where - Beach Blvd. is a very long road) - forget about Oakleaf or Fleming Island. I live at the Beaches - and have only been to Oakleaf once (on a Saturday for a golf club demo). Have been to Fleming Island multiple times to play league tennis matches (at Eagle Harbor). It is a real schlep from that part of JAX to Southside. Even without rush hour traffic. And the Buckman Bridge is usually a mess during a very extended rush hour (by Jacksonville standards). IOW - stay on the east side of the river. Robyn

P.S. My husband and I have a running joke. Is it worth a trip to Orange Park? There are only 2 times when the answer has been yes in terms of anything other than the golf club demo and the tennis matches I mentioned above.. Once when my late FIL was a resident of a nursing home in Mandarin and he needed to buy a wheelchair (there's an excellent place in OP) - and once when we needed some heavy duty slub tubs for yard work (pet stores in that part of the metro area carry horse-related stuff). And we've been here for 15 years.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM

196 posts, read 427,654 times
I have to agree with all the above! We currently live in the Miramar area and have toyed with the idea of moving to the suburbs. We drove out to Oakleaf plantation to look at a house floorplan and seriously felt like we were in a different state! It is WAY far away from Beach Blvd. There are alot of great areas in Jacksonville that are MUCH closer to your husband's work. I know that they have some great houses, for some great prices out there, but I would keep looking! Stay on the east/south side of the river if your husband is working on Beach Blvd. He might not mind the commute, but when you are sitting at home, waiting for him to get home, you will begin hating his commute! If you want out of Duval county, even northern St. John's county (Nocatee, Durbin Crossing, Julington Creek Plantation, etc) would be closer than Oakleaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville