Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 PM

20 posts, read 70,634 times

Advertisements

I am exploring living options in Florida. I have a potential job in Gainesville, but my girlfriend would likely be employed in Jacksonville. Are there any nice communities that would have a somewhat equidistant commute between the two? Just looking at a map, I thought Middleburg might be in a good location, but does it have enough amenities so that we don't feel like we are living in the middle of nowhere? Any other suggestions? I realize the commute for both of us would be in excess of an hour, but that's what we have to deal with at this point. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 01:03 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Geographer View Post
I am exploring living options in Florida. I have a potential job in Gainesville, but my girlfriend would likely be employed in Jacksonville. Are there any nice communities that would have a somewhat equidistant commute between the two? Just looking at a map, I thought Middleburg might be in a good location, but does it have enough amenities so that we don't feel like we are living in the middle of nowhere? Any other suggestions? I realize the commute for both of us would be in excess of an hour, but that's what we have to deal with at this point. Thanks!
IMO - there's no place between Gainesville and JAX where you won't feel like you're living in the middle of nowhere (except maybe for Starke - which has very few amenities - I think the largest employer there is a maximum security death row state prison). Robyn

Old 05-02-2011, 06:39 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,994 times
Middleburg is less isolated than anywhere else between Gainesville and Jacksonville but the commute will be difficult for both of you. What kind of job would your girlfriend be seeking that would not be an option in Gainesville?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
IMO - there's no place between Gainesville and JAX where you won't feel like you're living in the middle of nowhere (except maybe for Starke - which has very few amenities - I think the largest employer there is a maximum security death row state prison). Robyn
Beach snobbery! --- Just kidding

Starke is a company town for the prision. I would choose Middleburg.

20 years ago there was not much out there but the area has really grown into outer suburbs of Jacksonville. My parents live in Middleburg and really like it. it is definatly quiet. They live in a neighborhood of homes on over 1 acre and no trailers. They see wildlife everyday(deer, birds, and an occasional bear) Not too much excitement but there is grocery stores etc. and they even got them a Super Wal-Marts! But for "fun" you would have to go into at least Orange Park. The drive to Jax is pretty bad no matter which way you go. My parents are retired so they really don't have to drive into Jax everyday but plenty of people do

Keystone Heights is a bit closer to GNV and is a smaller town. It is where lot of Jax families have lake houses.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:47 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
Why not just live in Jacksonville where your girlfriend will be working? It's crazy to me that people would live way out of the way, then commute into a major city for fun and employment and have the nerve to complain about lengthy distances

Old 05-03-2011, 06:21 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,006 times
My neighbor drives to Gainesville daily right now. he's hoping for better employment up in our area (Oakleaf which is Orange Park/Middleburg). But he's got a decent job.....it is what it is. LOL.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Why not just live in Jacksonville where your girlfriend will be working? It's crazy to me that people would live way out of the way, then commute into a major city for fun and employment and have the nerve to complain about lengthy distances
Because I have a decent potential job in Gainesville, but she is in an industry/field where her job options are limited to major metropolitan areas (television markets). Sounds to me like the options are not that great. I'm not complaining at all, just trying to determine what some good options are, if there are any good options at all.

Perhaps Ridgewood or Meadowbrook Terrace would be better?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb3690 View Post
My neighbor drives to Gainesville daily right now. he's hoping for better employment up in our area (Oakleaf which is Orange Park/Middleburg). But he's got a decent job.....it is what it is. LOL.
How long is his commute?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 PM

216 posts, read 951,074 times
Quote:
How long is his commute?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...inesville.html

Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 PM

432 posts, read 1,309,006 times
Quote:
How long is his commute?
saw the link below. I actually just spoke with him tonight and he said it's been taking about an hour and 20 minutes depending on traffic. I think he's burnt out, but he has a good job there and I guess she has a good job here......

you have to do what works for you right? I would hate that drive, but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville