Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

P.S. Looks like the elementary school for Palencia is Mill Creek - perhaps 8 miles or so so west of Palencia (near World Golf Village). It isn't close - but was A rated by the State of Florida for 2009-2010. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 04:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
And to give you some more insight - the developer of the place where I live - Marsh Landing in Ponte Vedra Beach - started development here in the late 70's. With all the ups and downs in the Florida real estate market over the decades - Marsh Landing wasn't close to being finished until the early 2000's (and there are still some new small areas in Marsh Landing where lots are for sale). The developer of Marsh Landing is a very environmentally sensitive developer (although we have our disagreements with him about some things). He is not the developer of Palencia - but had input into the project. So I suspect the houses there will be fine eventually - but perhaps not before I die. Don't know about the condos.

And to give you some more insight - I'm a retired lawyer who worked on the original Palm Coast development (then owned by ITT - think ITT still owns land there). Worked on the first foreclosure of the project in the 1970's. And I don't think the area really got on a steady footing until the 1990's or so.

Finally - I like the downtown area of St. Augustine - for a visit. But it is pretty much part expensive to buy/maintain designated historic district - and part not so nice. Judging from what you're said about yourself - it would not be your cup of tea. I suggest taking taking a look at condo rentals in the JAX Beach area. Closer to most things. Pretty good schools - both in St. Johns County and Duval County. Job market is still - overall - bleak in the construction trades. My A/C company is Ocean State. A big outfit in this area. Call about job prospects. If they're not hiring - doubt anyone is. Robyn

Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 AM

21 posts, read 29,823 times
I pretty much agree with Robyn. Downtown St. Augustine is a great place to take a day trip, but not ideal for raising a family. I live in Julington Creek (St. Johns) and find it perfectly located to everywhere I need to go. We have several community pools, a new $10 Million fitness center complete with two pools, numerous tennis courts, skateboard park for the kids and much more!

Jax Beach to me is a bit on the not -so-desirable part of Jax. IMHO. Its good place to eat and enjoy the sun but at night I don't care for it.
I moved here from NY 4 years ago and couldn't be happier!
Don't be afraid to pay a few $$ more for a better fit!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM

16 posts, read 41,639 times
Thanks Robyn and WNY-2-Jax for thereplies. I am taking a trip down in a few weeks to research the area and will look into Jax Beach & Julington Creek as you suggested as well.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:14 AM

8 posts, read 19,131 times
Downtown St Augustine isn't a bad place for young families. It can get pricey, however there is a lot of inventory on the market, at 1/3 or half of what they were asking a couple years back. We've lived there on and off for about 3 years. We have three kids under age ten.

If I were you, and were intent on moving to St A, I would look into finding a short term rental in downtown. It's a lot easier to find good deals walking or driving around neighborhoods you like than it is to browse online. A lot of sellers and landlords just stick a sign in the front yard themselves.

Jobs in St A are basically non-existant, and the jobs there are don't pay terribly well. This has been my experience since 2003 when we first moved to the area. I wouldn't count on supporting your family and your NY mortgage on a job in town.

May is a good time to look for rentals, because the Flagler students leave a lot of openings over the summer. Hope this helps, and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville