Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,359 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a job in Jacksonville and we are planning to move in the next 6 months. He is an IT guy who will work mostly from home so we have more options on where to live that won't be affected by a commute. I will look for a job in office administration and am very flexible. We are both 50 years old and have lived in the Chicago suburbs all of our lives. We bring with us a 20 year old who will attend one of the colleges in Jacksonville. I've been reading many, many threads and have learned quite a bit about the area while still keeping an open mind (crime, traffic, cost of living, etc.) and I'm excited and nervous about relocating at the same time. We're hoping to move to the St. Augustine area for its quantness and smalltown feel. Now, please bear with me for the following questions, and remember I'm a midwest native!

Does the weather in Northern Florida allow for windows to be left open at any time during the year?

Will small dogs (Italian Greyhounds) be okay in a fenced in yard? I've read about the fire ants and chemical lawn treaments among other things.

Can we buy a house for $250 - $300k in an established neighborhood?

Any input would appreciated. I'm looking for honest input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,028,000 times
Weatherwise, most folks are turning their A/Cs on now, but I'm still holding out. We keep our windows open most of the year except June through August and part of Sept. Some folks May through October. Winter is generally mild but you may get some freezes.

Greyhounds are fine here, we love pets in Florida. Just be careful right after a spraying.

You can find many many homes in many many neighborhoods in your price point.

Good luck and an early welcome to Jax

Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 AM

859 posts, read 3,620,382 times
Does the weather in Northern Florida allow for windows to be left open at any time during the year?
yes that's the beauty of FL, catch that cross breeze to cool down the house, safe electric bill. But also remember FL got a lot of bugs too and some gets through the screens easily. As to whether or not it's safe to open windows all night, that'll depend on the neighborhood.

Will small dogs (Italian Greyhounds) be okay in a fenced in yard? I've read about the fire ants and chemical lawn treaments among other things.
keep them indoors during and after sprays. or go organic but that can take few seasons. get a small and manageable lot size if you don't plan on doing too much work yourself. It's tough to keep the st augustine grass happy.

yes

Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,971,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby7788 View Post
we do get cool from nov-march, mid 60s for highs some nights are into the low 40's and even a rare freeze
Quote:
Will small dogs (Italian Greyhounds) be okay in a fenced in yard? I've read about the fire ants and chemical lawn treatments among other things.
there are ants and people use chemicals to combat them, I can't say how that affects dogs, as long as the dogs aren't a nuisance you shouldn't have issues unless you move into a place with an HOA that prohibits keeping them outside
Quote:
probably

Old 05-09-2008, 11:25 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,480,982 times
I answered inside your quote...

Quote:

On and off throughout the year you can have your windows open. I like them open as much as possible when I am home and awake (if I'm taking a nap or getting in the shower, I make sure to close and lock the windows, no matter what neighborhood I live in.

The fire ants should not be a big deal, they might get a few bites, but they'll naturally move away from the ants, they won't sit there on a mound for long !

Chemical lawn treatment is a concern, especially for smaller dogs or dogs with sensitive skin. I just don't do it. I use Milorganite for fertilizer, which will not harm your dogs at all, and I hand-pick weeds or use a selective herbicide when I absolutely must - I don't do any mass spraying or treatments for pre-emergents, insects, etc. Check out my lawn on Karla's new garden thread, it's green enough .

Even in a fenced yard, almost anything can get in. Snakes just slip right under the fence, scorpions and other biting insects just crawl over the fence...it's best not to leave the dogs unsupervised if at all possible. As a side note, I picked up a pair of Bichon Frises from a very busy intersection today - I just knew they did not belong there. I called the owner and he came and got them - his fence gate had swung open from the wind! So be sure and lock your gate!

The heat is something else to consider with your dogs, they can overheat very quickly in our peak summer season. Mine don't like to be outdoors much at all during that time of year and they have very short fur like yours.

Also be aware that year-round heartworm preventative is an absolute must here. I know it can be "optional" in other parts of the country, but not here. Heartworms are picked up very easily here, so be sure to use a preventative like Heartguard year-round.

That's a fair range for a lot of houses, you should have no problem finding something you like .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville