Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM

113 posts, read 438,231 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! This will be the first year our family attends the Iowa State Fair. We already bought our tickets online and we are really excited about going. I was wondering if there are any "can't miss" exhibits or events. Are some days less crowded than others? Any other tips for a newbie hitting the fair for the first time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times
I usually go on a week day, it's less crowded but there's still going to be a lot of people whenever.

See it all. You can in a day. The butter cow and the prize winning animals are usually considered the top attractions. I like the cultural building where they display people's photography and artwork.

The midway is pretty lame and expensive, but it would probably be hard to keep kids from there. The varied industries building is kind of lame too but I always end up at least walking through.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it, I love the fair.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 PM

681 posts, read 3,036,071 times
Oh, the Fair!

I agree with most of what El Rhino said, except that I've never been really drawn to the butter cow. Folks will stand in line for a half-hour to file past it, when really, you can get the general picture from a distance.

Some of my favorites:

1. Absolutely get some honey lemonade from the honey producer's booth on the second level of the Agriculture building. It's delicious, and the cheapest drink you can buy at the fair. The Agriculture Building as a whole is very underrated.

2. The Governor usually makes an appearance at the State of Iowa or the Democrats' booth. Even if I don't much care for the guy myself, it's always neat to get to shake hands and speak to the Gov.

3. Make absolutely sure to visit the Animal Learning Center. It's east of the Midway, and easy to miss. Your kids will LOVE it! It's full of kid-level displays of adorable newly-born chicks, calves and piglets--very hands on, lots of petting, holding, etc.

4. Eat something on a stick.

5. Take advantage of the DART shuttle. You can park for free/nearly free at the Capitol grounds, then take a .75 shuttle out to the fairgrounds. No more parking hassles.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:10 PM

193 posts, read 289,282 times
Try to take in some of everything. I live a few blocks from the fair myself, so I take my daughter there often to get some exercise, walk and let her ride her bike and play. I go there to walk all through the spring thru fall..

Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips--especially the honey lemonade, that sounds delicious! I will definitely put them to use when we head to the fair next week. We can't wait!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:44 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Our annual must sees/do's:

* see the big boar and the big bull and check out some of the animals in the nearby barns.
* watch Bo Bo the Clown get dunked at the dunk tank (north of the midway) and yell out insults at those trying to dunk him.
* mini donuts, turkey leg -- both must have's for me.
* see a free concert or two on one of the stages. Be sure to check out the schedule ahead of time so you can find an act that meets with your personal music taste.
* walk through the Varied Industries building to look at all the products being halked.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:56 PM

25 posts, read 86,641 times
My personal recommendation: There are many corn dog stands, but look for one near the Information Center. They use a paint brush to put mustard on the corn dog. There are two stands that I know of that do this, but I can't remember where the second one is.

Besides the novelty of having your condiments painted on, it is the best bet for quality corn dogs, for my money!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 PM

5 posts, read 20,202 times
Vocal trash will be there Monday and they are amazing. I love the fair, can't wait to go this year. I just love walking all the buildings with the different booths to see all of the handmade things people are selling. I think my all time favorite thing is walking through the building with all the baby animals, it's over by one of the free stages.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:26 PM

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you all know we had a wonderful time at the fair today!!

SD 83, we didn't find the specific corndog booth you mentioned, but we definitely had corndogs.

SharpHawkeye, the honey lemonade was wonderful...not too sweet, just right! $2/glass, but still a good deal.

capitalcityguy, you win for the mini donut suggestion!! Holy cow those things were great!

We visited the Animal Learning Center and my kiddos loved it. I didn't really love the part where the big screen TVs on the wall started showing a calf emerging from the womb though!! LOL!! My kids definitely had some questions about that one, but I think it wasn't too traumatic for them. :-D

All in all, we had a wonderful day! My personal recommendations after spending the day there? Definitely hit the Giant Slide...so fun! The Little Hands Farm was great, especially for the free snack at the end. Thanks again all!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Any recommendations for the 2010 Fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa