Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 36,657 times

Advertisements

My husband is transferring to Dubuque IA this summer for the Coast Guard. We found a house to rent on Iowa street. We have visited the area and found nothing to be concerned about, however, a couple that we know from IA told us we are renting in the ghetto and that area is very bad. Are they right? I saw nothing that indicated this but just visiting doesn't always give a clear picture. Any information would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:28 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
What block of Iowa Street? Much of Iowa street is becoming a bad area.

Jasper

Old 05-11-2009, 08:09 AM

1534 Iowa, there is a park right across the street and a Catholic church across the corner.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efsuermann View Post
1534 Iowa, there is a park right across the street and a Catholic church across the corner.

That is not the best area. Renting in another part of town is advised.

Jasper

Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM

415 posts, read 1,738,861 times
How are neighborhoods ever supposed to get better if decent folks are convinced not to move in?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:01 PM

What makes it such a bad area? Are there gang shootings nightly or does it just have that "old" feel because it is downtown and located close to many rental areas?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:22 PM

100 posts, read 534,269 times
People who refer to areas like Dubuque's Iowa Street as a "ghetto" typically lead very sheltered lives, and don't have a strong sense of what real poverty-stricken, crime-infested neighborhoods are like. Dubuque DOES NOT HAVE A GHETTO... on Iowa Street or anywhere else, for that matter. period. lol.

Iowa Street has no vacant/abandoned houses or cars, gangs, street people, or anything of that sort. As with any densely-populated neighborhood with rental properties, there is some crime in the area (of course), but even this tends to be sporadic and low-level (mostly domestic) issues. Keep in mind... the ENTIRE city generally has 1 or fewer murders per year!!

As I see it..., people who throw around terms like "ghetto" in reference to the Iowa Street area, either:
1.) have only been through the neighborhood (usually by car) on rare occasions, and have little in-depth knowledge about it, or
2.) heard a story once-upon-a-time from a friend of a friend who had a bad experience there, or
3.) jump to silly, ridiculous conclusioins like: older houses + density = ghetto

I think the person you talked with was exaggerating a bit. As a 20+ year resident of Dubuque, I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBQer View Post
People who refer to areas like Dubuque's Iowa Street as a "ghetto" typically lead very sheltered lives, and don't have a strong sense of what real poverty-stricken, crime-infested neighborhoods are like. Dubuque DOES NOT HAVE A GHETTO... on Iowa Street or anywhere else, for that matter. period. lol.

Iowa Street has no vacant/abandoned houses or cars, gangs, street people, or anything of that sort. As with any densely-populated neighborhood with rental properties, there is some crime in the area (of course), but even this tends to be sporadic and low-level (mostly domestic) issues. Keep in mind... the ENTIRE city generally has 1 or fewer murders per year!!

As I see it..., people who throw around terms like "ghetto" in reference to the Iowa Street area, either:
1.) have only been through the neighborhood (usually by car) on rare occasions, and have little in-depth knowledge about it, or
2.) heard a story once-upon-a-time from a friend of a friend who had a bad experience there, or
3.) jump to silly, ridiculous conclusioins like: older houses + density = ghetto

I think the person you talked with was exaggerating a bit. As a 20+ year resident of Dubuque, I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.
It's good to hear a balanced opinion as I prefer established neighborhoods and wouldn't mind being withing walking distance of downtown. How is the area by Emmet St? Diversity is welcome, as long as it is safe and not run down.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 AM

I wouldn't call Iowa Street a ghetto but I would call it an area that is not very safe and your chances of getting car or house broken into are very high. Not a place I would want to live or recommend.

Jasper

Old 05-13-2009, 05:56 PM

100 posts, read 534,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I wouldn't call Iowa Street a ghetto but I would call it an area that is not very safe and your chances of getting car or house broken into are very high. Not a place I would want to live or recommend.

Jasper
Sorry, but even that's overstating it! There isn't a single place in Dubuque where your chances of being broken into are "very high." There just isn't. Even what locals consider to be the "high crime neighborhoods" really aren't. There's just such a low threshold to earn that label in this part of the country! It's no secret that people are actually moving INTO Dubuque's so-called "bad neighborhoods" to escape the crime found in other cities.

If you are a dummy and leave your things open for people to steal, of course they will... regardless of the neighborhood! The myth that thefts & crimes only happen in CERTAIN neighborhoods is exactly that: a myth. It's what criminals count on to victimize you- that you only have your guard up when you're in the "bad area."

Bottom line: If your secure your property... no matter where you're at... the likelihood that you will have a problem (on Iowa St. or anywhere else in Dubuque) is very slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa