Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,812 times

Advertisements

I'm a single black female who's considering moving to Dubuque, IA for a career opportunity I'm interested in knowing how the area is concerning people of color and I'm interested in knowing if there are Apostolic/Pentecostal churches in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 08:49 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,185 times
Hi, INEEDANSWERS, I'm glad to see someone is moving to DBQ.

Dubuque is a very nice town. If you haven't been yet, I'd guarantee it isn't what you'd expect out of an Iowan city. Dubuque is situated on a bluff, and is very, very hilly. The Mississippi River boosts tourism and the economy in the area.

To answer your question(s), Dubuque is not very diverse. The city is becoming more diverse year by year, and people of color are not treated any differently than whites. The Iowa Caucuses have proven Iowa color-blind. Color-blind meaning indiscriminate. Dubuque is a very welcoming community. People will most likely expect you to be a Catholic, and when I arrived in Peosta, just south and west of the city, they hadn't known of any other Christian denominations other than Cath.; I'd probably say a good eight or nine tenths of the population of DBQ Co. is Roman Catholic.

There are a ton of Catholic churches... I cannot think of an Apostolic or Pentecostal Church off the top of my head, but im sure if you'd google it, "pentecostal church Dubuque, Iowa" you'd probably find something.

It is a lovely area. An All-American City in 2007, ranked 22nd nationally for job growth in 2007, between Orlando, FL, and Austin, TX, on the list, very impressive. Has the seventh best public school system in the nation...Named the best of 100 Best Communities for Young Ones last year, the city is progressive and isn't really feeling the burn of the almost-recession we are slipping into.

Do you need any help with where to purchase a home/apartment/condo, suburban or city... Click on my username and ask me any questions concerning the Dubuque area. I'm glad I could offer help...

Hope you enjoy yourself, and make new friends in The Tri State area!

-Dubuque Ask Me-

Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
I live in Waterloo which has a sizeable black population and everyone I know here is very racially accepting, i would doubt dubuque is much different, but the difference is they are a mainly white city. Honestly I don't think Dubuque would be a problem for u. If you don't mind my asking, what area of the country were you thinking about moving from?

And normally I would point you toward a foursquare (pentecostal) church which I attend but there doesnt seem to be one.. There is dubuque assembly of god though, Assembly of God, Dubuque - Home . . . ..

I don't think there are going to be as many of those types of churches in that part of the state, but I know you will be able to find them if you search hard enough.. maybe try dex online and search under pentecostal or charismatic.

Hope I helped and private msg me if you need more help!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:43 AM
JMZ

24 posts, read 93,666 times
Dubuque is a nice quaint little town nestled in the limestone curves of north eastern, Ia. Dubuque has four small colleges and definitely holds a conglomerate of races. No religions of that sort that I know of, but it might not hurt to do a little research...of course. But definitely worth looking into.

Good Luck

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
DubuqueAskMe who lives in Peosta,

I would not exactly call Dubuque a welcoming community to minorities. there is a lot of racial tension. Coincidentally, a co worker was just telling me that she felt more racial tension in Dubuque than in Atlanta where she lived 8 years before moving back to Dubuque to be closer to family. Obviously this is her opinion but I have seen it too and have friends that are cops and say the same thing and they see more of it up close than anyone.

The economy in Dubuque is feeling the effects of the recession and those 2007 figures you quoted were more off of 2006 figures and the article released in 2007. Things have changed dramatically in last few months.

Dubuque is what it is. Some positive things going and in other areas stuck in a rut.

Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
Hi, INEEDANSWERS, I'm glad to see someone is moving to DBQ.

Dubuque is a very nice town. If you haven't been yet, I'd guarantee it isn't what you'd expect out of an Iowan city. Dubuque is situated on a bluff, and is very, very hilly. The Mississippi River boosts tourism and the economy in the area.

To answer your question(s), Dubuque is not very diverse. The city is becoming more diverse year by year, and people of color are not treated any differently than whites. The Iowa Caucuses have proven Iowa color-blind. Color-blind meaning indiscriminate. Dubuque is a very welcoming community. People will most likely expect you to be a Catholic, and when I arrived in Peosta, just south and west of the city, they hadn't known of any other Christian denominations other than Cath.; I'd probably say a good eight or nine tenths of the population of DBQ Co. is Roman Catholic.

There are a ton of Catholic churches... I cannot think of an Apostolic or Pentecostal Church off the top of my head, but im sure if you'd google it, "pentecostal church Dubuque, Iowa" you'd probably find something.

It is a lovely area. An All-American City in 2007, ranked 22nd nationally for job growth in 2007, between Orlando, FL, and Austin, TX, on the list, very impressive. Has the seventh best public school system in the nation...Named the best of 100 Best Communities for Young Ones last year, the city is progressive and isn't really feeling the burn of the almost-recession we are slipping into.

Do you need any help with where to purchase a home/apartment/condo, suburban or city... Click on my username and ask me any questions concerning the Dubuque area. I'm glad I could offer help...

Hope you enjoy yourself, and make new friends in The Tri State area!

-Dubuque Ask Me-

Old 02-03-2008, 12:49 PM

15 posts, read 99,954 times
Although I dont ascribe to a political election to "proof" of color blindness, Iowa and Iowans are generally a ver fair people, giving people a chance to be who they are.

Dubuque is one of a number of wonderful communities to live in in Iowa, and Dubuque has the beauty of te river and the bluffs over looking it to boast of. It is a well educated area, with three good colleges in town, and number of others close by. It is a growing, vital small/medium city that has much going for it.

As for your faith, you will have no problem finding others to worship with. With Dubuque being a heavy Catholic area, it will give you an abundance of people to witness to.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 20,541 times
Hey, I love the fact that you are interested in moving to Dubuque, Iowa! We look forward to diversity and working with newcomers to our community. My job is to assist newcomers with information about Dubuque, personal banking needs and general concierge services. Let me know if I can help! Deb

Old 07-22-2009, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 23,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INEEDANSWERS View Post
I'm a single black female who's considering moving to Dubuque, IA for a career opportunity I'm interested in knowing how the area is concerning people of color and I'm interested in knowing if there are Apostolic/Pentecostal churches in the area?
Where are you moving from? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM

9 posts, read 41,912 times
I will be relocating to Dubuque in the near future and woould like to rent a house that would allow me to keep my dog that I have had for 5 years. looking for something under $750.00 a month. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 PM

6 posts, read 23,782 times
I'm wondering how many 'relocators' will be working for IBM. It'd be nice if we could start a thread just for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: