Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,994,069 times

Advertisements

Funk, this is the same tune you were singing on another thread. Do you recall that one, so why start here? This is actually a photo thread not a discussion thread. Start your own rant thread or go back to the thread you were ranting on before. I don't think from here on out people are going to pay much attention to you either way.

CincyIowan, go to my settings, along the left hand side you will see edit ignore list, open that up and add the name of the person you wish to add, hit save and you won't have to see that persons inane dribblings again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 01:37 AM

415 posts, read 1,740,923 times
Thought I'd bring back this thread with a few more images of the Quad Cities.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:14 AM

66 posts, read 47,532 times
I dont know how to add photos but I have so many from living in Davenport. It could be since Im still new to the website that doesnt let me upload photos. Living in downtown Rock Island or Davenport must be nice.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:09 AM

66 posts, read 47,532 times

from qcdrone's youtube videos online^

heres another nice one of downtown

Old 05-03-2021, 02:31 PM

1,864 posts, read 805,141 times
I will be heading this way this summer

Old 05-22-2021, 09:44 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,992,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Off topic, but Davenport being the most populous city and with the largest downtown, how did they not land the Quad Cities International Airport? It ended up in Moline, did John Deere have a hand in that?

Nevermind, a quick Google search gave me the answer. I cannot delete my message. Here is a nice article detailing it if anyone is interested. Apparently there was a rivalry between Davenport and Moline in the 1940s and 50s over a new airport.

https://qconline.com/extras/special_...573376462.html

Old 05-22-2021, 01:05 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,706,437 times
Default Quad City photo thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Nevermind, a quick Google search gave me the answer. I cannot delete my message. Here is a nice article detailing it if anyone is interested. Apparently there was a rivalry between Davenport and Moline in the 1940s and 50s over a new airport.

https://qconline.com/extras/special_...573376462.html

In a side note to the info about the old Davenport & Moline airport rivalry you shared with is, I'll add that during the 1980's when the Quad Cities were desperately hurt by plant closures and layoffs in the agricultural equipment sector, etc., if I recall things clearly the city of Davenport actually tried to sweeten the pot by offering the Davenport Airport site in their effort to throw together a winning bid for the new Toyota plant that company was intending to build in it's initial entry to building Toyota cars in America.
Davenport officials apparently thought the flat airport land area, which also had I-80 next to it and other good infrastructure amenities nearby, along with a large out of work & available labor force, would combine so as to be an attractive offer for Toyota to consider.
As we all know, the selection of Davenport did not happen. I've considered once or twice over the years as to how Davenport & the Quad Cities would have fared differently during that disastrous decade & since then if the airport site had been chosen by Toyota.
Do any city-data Quad cities members have any photos of the Davenport Airport or the Moline Airport to add here?
They are small facilities but terribly easy to access and deal with as compared to some of the gigantic and sometimes intimidating airports we have in larger cities.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 05-23-2021 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:17 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,992,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
In a side note to the info about the old Davenport & Moline airport rivalry you shared with is, I'll add that during the 1980's when the Quad Cities were desperately hurt by plant closures and layoffs in the agricultural equipment sector, etc., if I recall things clearly the city of Davenport actually tried to sweeten the pot by offering the Davenport Airport site in their effort to throw together a winning bid for the new Toyota plant that company was intending to build in it's initial entry to building Toyota cars in America.
Davenport officials apparently thought the flat airport land area, which also had I-80 next to it and other good infrastructure amenities nearby, along with a large out of work & available labor force, would combine so as to be an attractive offer for Toyota to consider.
As we all know, the selection of Davenport did not happen. I've considered once or twice over the years as to how Davenport & the Quad Cities would have fared differently during that disastrous decade & since then if the airport site had been chosen by Toyota.
Do any city-data Quad cities members have any photos of the Davenport Airport or the Moline Airport to add here?
They are small facilities but terribly easy to access and deal with as compared to some of the gigantic and sometimes intimidating airports we have in larger cities.
Very fascinating, really. I love to hear about inflection points in cities' histories. My father lived and worked at an agriculture factory in the area in the 1970s and 1980s, and was laid off. He often tells me how hard those years were for himself and the area as a whole.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 05-23-2021 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:36 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,258,140 times
It's interesting that Davenport is by far and away the largest of the Quad Cities (over twice the size of Moline, the next largest), but in many ways is behind Moline in the "prestige" order - Moline has John Deere, the airport, the TaxSlayer center, etc.

Is that because maybe Moline (or perhaps the state of Illinois as a whole) has/had a reputation for being more business-friendly? So it would be perhaps more economical to do business in Illinois, but more economical to live in Iowa? I thought maybe at one point Moline would have been bigger than 40-45K, but it's been that size forever. Davenport has been 95-105K for decades as well.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:13 AM

415 posts, read 1,740,923 times
I don't know that anyone in the Quad Cities would consider Moline to be more "prestigious" than Davenport. They have Deere, which led directly to the arena's construction. The airport story was covered above. Davenport has the QC's 2 remaining early 1900's movie houses (Adler and Capitol theaters), the Putnam Museum, the Figge Museum, Modern Woodmen Park, the largest downtown, etc. It is the dominant city of the QC. Beyond that, the amenities are somewhat spread about the metro area. Moline has the arena and the airport, Rock Island has the QC Botanical Center, and Bettendorf has the Family Museum. Davenport does have some of the crime issues that come with being the largest city in the metro, so one could say that people might prefer to live in Bettendorf or Moline, but even that is somewhat up for debate.

As far as the Davenport municipal airport, here's a photo of their newish (2012?) general aviation terminal, taken during the QC Air Show in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa