Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 10:05 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,860 times

Advertisements

worth reading for anyone in the oil patch investing

Altucher - Is BP a buy here? - Financial Adviser - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
You know what they say about the news? If they tell you its a bad time to buy... its a good time to buy... I think a few months from now, nobody really "cares" what happened in the gulf and besides that... basically every gas station buys BP gas... there is no distinction between BP gas and other gas producers, they all share the same set of gas stations regardless if BP is on their name or not... I say BP is a buy because even with its liabilities, its a long term buy with good potential... if things are good then its a time to sell... I highly doubt BP would go into bankruptcy, if anything, they would undergo merger (worst case scenario) and would like fetch a higher price than $40 a share... a win-win situation but I just hope the general public doesn't know it yet... apparently some hedge funds are jumping on BP, its stock price peaked at $38 today but I figure it will drop a little bit further before I buy... people are concerned about BP's liabilities but I think the concern is more to drop the price of BP stock (so that they can buy) than any real concern about BPs future...

Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You know what they say about the news? If they tell you its a bad time to buy... its a good time to buy... I think a few months from now, nobody really "cares" what happened in the gulf and besides that... basically every gas station buys BP gas... there is no distinction between BP gas and other gas producers, they all share the same set of gas stations regardless if BP is on their name or not... I say BP is a buy because even with its liabilities, its a long term buy with good potential... if things are good then its a time to sell... I highly doubt BP would go into bankruptcy, if anything, they would undergo merger (worst case scenario) and would like fetch a higher price than $40 a share... a win-win situation just hope the general public doesn't know it yet... apparently some hedge funds are jumping on BP, its stock price peaked at $38 today but I figure it will drop a little bit further before I buy...
Magic 8 Ball says it'll bottom out at $25 before heading to $50 by early next year.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:07 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Magic 8 Ball says it'll bottom out at $25 before heading to $50 by early next year.
Like I said, I am not buying now... I am waiting for a few more drops before buying but I believe it is a BUY with net gains for the long term... I believe their new approach to stopping the spill will work so I have roughly two weeks to buy before it is capped... I am already planning my strategy...

Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
There are reports saying they are looking at a billion dollars expenditure, so far, at least.

They may not survive
They have already spent $1B as of today, just in fighting and cleaning the spill. This doesn't include the hundreds of pending litigation, so yeah, everyone wants a piece of this sinking oil gig.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:13 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
They have already spent $1B as of today, just in fighting and cleaning the spill. This doesn't include the hundreds of pending litigation, so yeah, everyone wants a piece of this sinking oil gig.
BP will go the way of Enron...in this Country.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
worth reading for anyone in the oil patch investing

Altucher - Is BP a buy here? - Financial Adviser - WSJ
He's right on target. I was thinking the same. BP will sink and it's the right time to invest in its competitors like XOM. If something as big as BP goes down, XOM, royal dutch shell and others go up.

But if BP were to ever go down to 15 or lower in the future, I have some useless funds I always keep, funds I do not care about. I'll put that money on BP Even then, I won't buy unless they look like they can survive.

To be honest, from the looks of it, BP is finished.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
What's really going to hurt them is how much Obama and the democrats punish BP to save their own skins. Isn't this an election year??

Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
What's really going to hurt them is how much Obama and the democrats punish BP to save their own skins. Isn't this an election year??
I already have said that, a while back. Its all about saving your own skin...which is a bit thin right now.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,932 times
BP down 15% today and my June puts increased 400%. I wonder how much lower the stock will dive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing