Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,095,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Was this in any of your retirement account? IRA?

How many years as long term?
Both IRA and mutual funds. Long term meaning, 20-30 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:48 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,095,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
Opening poster: I dont suppose you know exactly which companies the funds own do you?
Apple Inc.AAPL6.1823.00Google Inc.GOOG3.642.15Amazon.com, Inc.AMZN2.7722.96Schlumberger N.V. Common StockSLB2.725.51Exxon Mobil Corporation Common XOM2.6413.40Exxon Mobil Corporation Common XOM2.5710.11Hewlett-Packard Company Common HPQ2.57-17.05Schlumberger N.V. Common StockSLB2.538.63Cisco Systems, Inc.CSCO2.526.13Philip Morris International IncPM2.30-1.38

this is their top 10 holdings for twcux.

I suggest selling the mutual fund and just buying the stocks yourself.

THEN SELL OPTIONS ON THEM every month to generate small amounts of income every month to recoup some losses

as for BREAX do not bother with it if you dont know what they own.
research what they own and buy it youself and hold them.

Learn to manage your own finances stop letting others do it for you.

Try to buy high div yield stock in stable companies and with good future growth as well.

You need to pick and choose well not just buy anything.

Mutual funds are pretty much a crap shoot just do it yourself and you would be better off if you aint lazy that is

if you do it like this you dont need to pay for the management fee of 1% at least.

LEARN to build your own portfolio tyvm.
I do know the companies. I've bought stocks before and also sold them. To me, it's time consuming to constantly be watching them. Secondly, it can be very risky. I do think you can get a quicker return if you catch the stocks at the right time.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,167 times
Hold now, but watch and if they grow get out and take profits. Then, start to watch the markets and economy more. A good place to go to find out what funds are the most popular is the Hulbert Interactive service, which follows about 140 investment newsletters, extracts portfolios from each, and then keeps a database and ranks stocks and funds that are the most frequent among the most successful newsletters (best track record). You can join for one month ($19), take a look and then quit and come back 3-6 months later. This approach is called meta-analysis, which takes all available data, tabulates frequencies, and then presents results.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,495,536 times
Consider PRPFX..

Or if you prefer to manage your own portfolio to mimic PRPFX:

Put 1/3 of your money in each of the following:

SPY
TLT
GLD

And when you deposit or withdraw money from your portfolio, buy/sell your holdings to try to restore the 1/3 weight in everything.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM

106,817 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Actually your missing the cash part.. Its 25% in each.

I use tlt,gld,vti and cash. the cash is an important part to temper volatility. many are using a short term bond fund like SHY instead of cash.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:56 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,495,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Actually your missing the cash part.. Its 25% in each.

I use tlt,gld,vti and cash. the cash is an important part to temper volatility. many are using a short term bond fund like SHY instead of cash.
Dealing with the 25% each in all is kinda tricky with the cash component. Personally, I just think of it as cash sitting in my savings account rather than invested in the market although I'm also considering the Chinese Yuan (CNY) as an alternative.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,738,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lep11 View Post
Hold now, but watch and if they grow get out and take profits. Then, start to watch the markets and economy more. A good place to go to find out what funds are the most popular is the Hulbert Interactive service, which follows about 140 investment newsletters, extracts portfolios from each, and then keeps a database and ranks stocks and funds that are the most frequent among the most successful newsletters (best track record). You can join for one month ($19), take a look and then quit and come back 3-6 months later. This approach is called meta-analysis, which takes all available data, tabulates frequencies, and then presents results.
This might be good for someone who wants to gamble money as a day-trader or sells month to month, but its a total waste of money and bad advice for the long term investor.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Dealing with the 25% each in all is kinda tricky with the cash component. Personally, I just think of it as cash sitting in my savings account rather than invested in the market although I'm also considering the Chinese Yuan (CNY) as an alternative.
its a piece of cake dealing with the cash. the mix was carefully designed by harry browne and terry coxen 40 years ago. they ran through many simulations of it before realizing that the 4 parts all needed each other to work.

eliminating the cash or swapping gold for commodities hurt the performance and the 4 equal parts maintain a certain amount of volatility and balance as well.

the cash is used for rebalancing too. in down years the cash comes in handy as part of the mix.

to tell you the truth i have been doing it since 1987 and would never think of altering it a bit.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Wow - It appears at first glance for someone who doesn't want to be bothered with rebalancing, PRPFX is an ideal spot for long-term investments. Close to 11% consistently annualized over 10, 5, 3, 1 years. Is there another fund that can do that? Even at the bottom in 2008, fund was only off 25% and bounced right back. This month, the high and low points differential is only 49.93 (7/29) to 47.77 (8/8) - or 4%.

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/PRPFX/tab/4

Am I missing something, here? It seems too good to be true?

So, gurus ragnarkar and Mathjak, how would one reallocate using PRPFX? Doesn't the fund rebalance/reallocate for you?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-12-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 08-12-2011, 02:12 PM

The portfolio i use of the 4 classes of gold,stocks,long term treasuries and cash is the origonal version as it was designed by harry browne and terry coxen.

they started a mutual fund called the permanent portfolio which while it started life with the 4 parts it got quite complex over the years adding many things in my opinion that hurt it more than help it.

the expenses are kind of high for the fund and i much prefer my homegrown version as designed by the founders of the fund.. the simple version was actually up in 2009 about 5% while the fund was down.......

overall im not against using the fund as i do like it but i prefer the simple low cost version.

it may be just the fund for you if you want swiss francs,some energy stocks thrown in too but its shifted its balance in my opinion again to an inflation oriented fund instead of more neutral as designed .

VERY IMPORTANT: its not a fund for growth ... its a fund for preserving purchasing power while never leaving you devastated by any event. the fact that it did so well was really a fluke.
gold and bonds never are bedfellows but this time they were so the gains were far better than they should have been for quite a while now.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-12-2011 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing