Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,153,282 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend any good mutual funds to invest in?
Something rather safe and not that volatile to put some of my retirment investments?
I will be putting about $750 a month in this
(this is not my only retirment fund. I work for a local gov't so 7% of my check goes into the city's retirement account too )

I currently have a 401K from a previous employer where I am just going to let my money sit (it's not that much, about $3K) so I was wondering if I should move some of that money around.

Any thoughts? Ideas or Favorites?
I also currently contribute $200 a month to my ING savings organge account.

Last edited by CTR36; 05-09-2008 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
VWELX

dodbx
dodfx (international)

VTSMX (total market)

(Probably you need to define your objectives and other investments... You really need to be diversified, check for overlap with your 401 choices...

overall portfolio I do
30 % equities (which currently are 30% inter (latin, eur and asia), 40 % US (growth) and 30 % cash / bond / income)
30 % investment Real estate
30 % solid investments... treasuries, + house equity (30% LTV)

I only have mutuals in my 401k, the rest are etf's, But...I need to open a Vanguard acct next week to stash some of my capital gains I'm liquidating during this 'picnic' of tax benefit, to expire VERY SOON.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 PM

879 posts, read 1,964,061 times
If you want "rather safe and not that volatile," I'd suggest going to Morningstar.com and using their fund screener to find a good fund in the "balanced" category, "moderate allocation" sub-category. These funds are about 60% stocks, 40% bonds. The bond portion really helps smooth out the volatility, but doesn't hurt returns "too" much over the long run. Your screen criteria should be no-load funds only, a 5-year (or longer) return better than the category average, manager's been there at least 5 years (the one that's responsible for those good returns, IOW), and a reasonable expense ratio (say, 1% or less). That should bring up some good candidates to get you started anyway. One balanced fund I can think of off-hand that will likely end up on your short list is Dodge & Cox's (can't remember the ticker). It's a pretty good one and D&C is one of the really good fund families. My favorite is an Oakmark fund, OAKBX, but it's still closed to new investors I believe.

Jan has the right idea in spreading your money around to various categories/asset classes. REITs (real estate), for example, have a pretty low correlation to stocks, so they, like bonds, are also good for smoothing out volatility in your overall portfolio. You might take a look at CGMRX--it's been a real superstar in the REIT category.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,557,061 times
We seem to be heading into a prolonged inflationary period. During those times the large companies tend to be able to absorb the beating better. As a result I like some of the blue chip mutuals. A couple that come to mind are Investment Company of America & Washington Mutual Investors Fund. Both are American Funds. I've done very well over the years. They don't go for home runs, but try to be practice conservative investing. Anyway, works for me.

REMEMBER, funds that average 10% per year often outperform those that average 20%. It's all about "preservation of capitol".

Old 05-10-2008, 07:43 AM

823 posts, read 3,690,713 times
As janb suggested you should have a planned asset allocation and spread your funds over different categories so if one category goes down the other will stay even or rise to balance out. You should also read some investment books, if you are going to do investing you have to learn how to do it.

Here is a web site that contains good basic information and a suggested reading list.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:53 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,879,951 times
You can't simply say "I need a "good" mutual fund"... there are many factors to weigh in... your age, your income, your desired retirement income, how much you have saved already, etc etc... all mutual funds are different and there is no mutual fund that "fits all sizes"...

Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,153,282 times
Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing