Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 PM

437 posts, read 930,237 times

Advertisements

well theirs children that have made games...which also takes years of Expeience. i was in my IT Essientials class and this 9 yr old girl had made a game where you came virtually make a game and compete with other players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:01 PM

309 posts, read 1,026,189 times
Yes, there are many tutorials aimed at kids for programming in Java, which was probably what it was. Understanding complex networks and doing targeted hacking takes a skill that kids just cant reach, sorry. And years of experience? I'd disagree. I learned to program a game in one semester, had to in fact, for a grade. Never taken a programming class before and I accomplished it. Programming is easy. Programming != hacking.

Put it this way, kids aren't that much smarter on a whole as adults were back when they were kids. There were quite a few gifted kids doing programming back in the 80's, when it was signifigantly harder (no software aids or libraries that pretty much do it all for you), and those same people that were gifted kids, and have been programing and hacking since the 70s/80s are now adults and getting BIG bucks to prevent kids from hacking into their systems.

Script Kiddies are a minor annoyance as long as you have a hardened system and update your software and OS regularly. The targeted hackers you have to worry about, some of them might be 17 and 18 year old kids, but the majority of them are 35 year old Russian dudes with years of experience.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM

I have to add that I'm not saying with all of this that Kids aren't more comfortable with technology than the vast majority of people. Stories of kids fixing parents computers abound. I'm not saying that kids aren't better on computers than 80% of adults greater than 25.

I don't buy for a minute though that the BEST kid (5-15) is better than anybody in the top 40% of the respective tech related field. I'd even go as far to say that the BEST computer science graduate, top of his class in MIT (undergraduate) isn't as knowledgable and skilled as the top 10% of a respective field.

Real life isn't the movies.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 AM

437 posts, read 930,237 times
well those ppl that hack computers and social security should be shot. it's wrong. you shouldn't do something like hacking just for "fun"

Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 AM

Very true, though imprisonment and a note on their permenant record would suffice for me. Not that I'm against the death penalty, but mostly for serious crimes like pedophile and murder.

Seriously there should be a registry like sex offenders, like a tech offender list of hackers and crackers that have been caught doing certain level of cyber-crimes like identity theft.

It doesn't take a cyber-crook to steal your credit card number though, a Waiter at your local restaraunt could do it, and have done it before.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,461 times
To begin with I would like to state that I am a hacker and its a good idea you get an answer from one. I hope this helps to answer your question.
First you should know there are two groups of hackers White hat (people who do security testing, program vulnerability, writing anti-virus programs, and things like that) the other is black hat (people who get into unauthorized computers, get otherwise hidden information some personal some not, send worms, trojans, and viruses). But there are also two types of Black hats ones who belive like I do freedom of information non personal (card numbers, social security numbers, and even if they get them you NEVER use them for gain). Then you have those that are out to harm. Do the things anti-virus was built for.

I at one time was a black hat for freedom of information. Getting information that shouldn't be kept from the public. i now do white hat for family and friends. I have done a few jobs for companies.

For me it was about the goverment treating us like babies and not really telling us the truth. Corpirations lying and stealing and getting away with it. It was all about the fact the people have a right to know. Its not much about what it used to be which is why I quit. It was also about the challenge and striving to be better and learn more. Hacking a personal computer was done from time to time but any personal information was never shared all was disposed of properly.

As far as the people who do it for harm first off they are not called hackers in the community of hackers they are scripters, script kiddies, idots, morons, and killers of the cause. They want quick gain from the harm of others. They have no real point. Some do in fact have a inferiority complex. We call them a bane of our meaning. So in the future you know that we do not call them hackers and think they were labeled that way to give real hackers a bad image.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If not I will watch on here for any other questions about it as much as I can.

P.S. It has a lot to do with learning for the real ones. And striving to make a better more information accesable world.

Sorry for the bad spelling I was writing this in a hurry.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,461 times
There is a registry its called being blacklisted and you stay on that list for a very long time Feds use it to look for an MO in hacks. But most real hackers are gone so....

Last edited by IrishPikey; 12-03-2009 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
ohhh no a hacker has just signed on^^^^

why do people hack??? well why do animals lick their tools becasue the can

Old 12-04-2009, 11:47 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
If they can put caller ID on our telephone sets both cell phone and landlines why can’t they require ID over the internet before you COME INTO my PC without me okaying it first. I don’t want to answer my phone I shouldn’t have a pc that allows you to come in without me knowing first.

I want PC ID options on my computer.
Actually all incoming traffic to your computer does has a source address, and also like caller ID, it is easily spoofed.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:57 PM

718 posts, read 1,150,086 times
well said, IrishPikey!

For those in the programming community, being a Hacker is a badge of honor. Your computer/telephone/PDA/phones/the internet, etc.. would not be where it is now without these "hackers" - people who love the challenge, learning and contributing.

Hackers, Crackers, Script kiddies, ... there's a whole world of difference between them. One has to learn the difference.

Hacker vs. cracker | IT Security | TechRepublic.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet