Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 10:11 PM

965 posts, read 4,503,170 times

Advertisements

I was trying to add in an additional dial-up number to one of my systems. All I thought I did was add in a new access telephone number. This is an XP system using Microsoft IE6. Earthlink is the ISP.

The instant I added the new number, I couldn't get the sites that I usually visit to pop up. I can sign on to the Internet, and the connectivity icons appear at the bottom of the screen and say that I am connected, but I can't get my home page to come up or any other web pages. I can bring up the Internet Explorer window, choose City-Data.com from my favorites list, verify that the proper address appears in the address box, but IE won't pull the info up and display it. It keeps showing "Done" at the bottom of the screen with a blank white screen.

Mercy. I have been trying to figure this out since early this morning. Does anyone have any idea what I might have cut off?

Thanks, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 12:26 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,954,232 times
IE sucks, get Mozilla.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:40 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,446,339 times
you have double checked your dial up phone number......
made sure your login and password was correct.......
Tried to go to earthlinks home page.......

Can you give us an idea of the steps you did to add said phone number?
Did you try your old number or dialer, and did it work?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
you have double checked your dial up phone number......
made sure your login and password was correct.......
Tried to go to earthlinks home page.......

Can you give us an idea of the steps you did to add said phone number?
Did you try your old number or dialer, and did it work?
You're an angel for trying to help. Yeah, I tried to go back to the previous number that worked, but that failed too.

What I did yesterday morning:

(1) I had clicked on Mindspring to connect to the Internet to download voice files (I'm a medical transcriptionist). While the progress screens were going thru their motions, I thought "let me put in another telephone number to speed the dial-up progress." The dial-up process is faster on this machine, the one I'm typing on. It, too, is using Mindspring. So, on the other computer:

(2) I hit the cancel button to stop the dialing.

(3) I had the settings screen in front of me, so I chose settings, and picked another telephone number to use (supplied by Earthlink).

(4) I then closed the windows out and rebooted my computer.

(5) I clicked on the icon to connect to the Internet, the system went thru its motions, and the icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen showed that I was signed on. But, Internet explorer would not display the home page data.

It's like it's trying to show the data, but then it gets blocked. From my favorites list, I can choose real estate sites, city data, furniture stores, etc., and I can see the address change each time I click, but the page won't display the contents. Don't know if somehow I changed the http protocol or something.

I can sign in to my email program and see my email, but if I click on a promotional ad from Lord & Taylors (retail store) and click on the company website, it just gives me a blank IE page. I can see it trying to load the info down at the bottom of the screen, but then it says "Done" and shows just a blank screen.

Also, when I try to use my program for downloading voice files, I connect to the Internet, click on my transfer program, hit "connect to FTP site," my system tries, but then it says "not connected," so it can't download my files (Thank God I have another computer system).

Boohoo! It's probably something so simple, but it is eluding me.

PS: I thought about reloading the original program for configuring Internet connections thru Earthlink (I have the diskette), but even that can cause problems when you're using something that came out two years ago.

Last edited by virgo; 02-24-2008 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Additional thought.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:18 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,507,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
You're an angel for trying to help. Yeah, I tried to go back to the previous number that worked, but that failed too.

What I did yesterday morning:

(1) I had clicked on Mindspring to connect to the Internet to download voice files (I'm a medical transcriptionist). While the progress screens were going thru their motions, I thought "let me put in another telephone number to speed the dial-up progress." The dial-up process is faster on this machine, the one I'm typing on. It, too, is using Mindspring. So, on the other computer:

(2) I hit the cancel button to stop the dialing.

(3) I had the settings screen in front of me, so I chose settings, and picked another telephone number to use (supplied by Earthlink).

(4) I then closed the windows out and rebooted my computer.

(5) I clicked on the icon to connect to the Internet, the system went thru its motions, and the icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen showed that I was signed on. But, Internet explorer would not display the home page data.

It's like it's trying to show the data, but then it gets blocked. From my favorites list, I can choose real estate sites, city data, furniture stores, etc., and I can see the address change each time I click, but the page won't display the contents. Don't know if somehow I changed the http protocol or something.

I can sign in to my email program and see my email, but if I click on a promotional ad from Lord & Taylors (retail store) and click on the company website, it just gives me a blank IE page. I can see it trying to load the info down at the bottom of the screen, but then it says "Done" and shows just a blank screen.

Also, when I try to use my program for downloading voice files, I connect to the Internet, click on my transfer program, hit "connect to FTP site," my system tries, but then it says "not connected," so it can't download my files (Thank God I have another computer system).

Boohoo! It's probably something so simple, but it is eluding me.

PS: I thought about reloading the original program for configuring Internet connections thru Earthlink (I have the diskette), but even that can cause problems when you're using something that came out two years ago.
1) Switch to Highspeed (if available), its cheaper and more reliable. Plus... how do you stand the NOISE of a modem?! grrrawr! /rant.

2) It sounds like your system is not grabbing its DNS servers. I have no clue how to fix this issue on dial-up. But I think theres a setting in there that might do it. Your best bet is to call Earthlink support. They've been helpful to me in troubleshooting my mom's internet before.

To answer the question "What is a DNS server" basically, the computer doesn't understand Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc., instead it understands "75.126.147.66". Try putting that into your browser once you've connected. If it connects, then whats happening is that the computer isn't properly translating Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc. into 75.126.147.66

Good luck.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
1) Switch to Highspeed (if available), its cheaper and more reliable. Plus... how do you stand the NOISE of a modem?! grrrawr! /rant.

2) It sounds like your system is not grabbing its DNS servers. I have no clue how to fix this issue on dial-up. But I think theres a setting in there that might do it. Your best bet is to call Earthlink support. They've been helpful to me in troubleshooting my mom's internet before.

To answer the question "What is a DNS server" basically, the computer doesn't understand Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc., instead it understands "75.126.147.66". Try putting that into your browser once you've connected. If it connects, then whats happening is that the computer isn't properly translating Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc. into 75.126.147.66

Good luck.
Bless your heart for trying to help!

Well, I obtained comcast cable because I knew I would eventually have major problems with Earthlink. I stopped updating/upgrading their Interet software onto my system because it would fail to load properly and just hang. In the back of my mind, I knew that I would have some sort of problem because the version I was using was so old. I switched to Comcast this past Thursday. Yes it is much faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet