Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:33 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,798,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have been using Crashplan (Code42) for 3 years as of tomorrow.

I've had to restore from the servers for myself and clients. The download speed is not super fast, but most aren't. Customer service has been exceptional. I've never had a glitch. I pay $50/year for unlimited data storage and I am currently at 1.1TB backed up.

I can easily recommend this company.
Thanks Tek, I'm looking at it rightnow, much appreciated. Wish I could rep you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 09:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,781,802 times
You're welcome, glad I could help, and appreciate the thought.

Now, if you're ever looking for a web hosting service have I got a company for you.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I've used Dropbox the last couple of years, seamless, works in the background:

https://www.dropbox.com/
I just started using drop free version because I have very little I need stored in the cloud. But, what I have stored is very sensitive info. In fact I have my Dropbox link on my computer in a password protected folder. I also have this info stored on an encrypted USB flash drive, but like some have mentioned that drive could get lost, broken, etc, therefore I need the cloud.

My question is how I'd like to know some opinions about how people feel about the security of dropbox. Let me be clear, I fully understand that nothing is completely safe, thats a no brainer!

Any and all opinions or even suggestions about dropbox or other services would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 AM

6,597 posts, read 11,325,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I just started using drop free version because I have very little I need stored in the cloud. But, what I have stored is very sensitive info. In fact I have my Dropbox link on my computer in a password protected folder. I also have this info stored on an encrypted USB flash drive, but like some have mentioned that drive could get lost, broken, etc, therefore I need the cloud.

My question is how I'd like to know some opinions about how people feel about the security of dropbox. Let me be clear, I fully understand that nothing is completely safe, thats a no brainer!

Any and all opinions or even suggestions about dropbox or other services would be greatly appreciated.
Places like dropbox does provide some security in that they use encryption during transmission and storage. So, your data is encrypted when being moved back and forth between your computer and dropbox (SSL). In addition, they are encrypted when sitting on their servers (AES 256).

The thing to keep in mind is that dropbox manages the encryption key for the data that is sitting on their servers. This provides the convenience of sharing your files with others without having to manage your own keys. However, this also means that dropbox CAN potentially access your files.

Whether or not this is an issue is up to each individual. I use the cloud for all kinds of stuff. It's just too convenient to not utilize it. However, for the data that I consider sensitive, those are kept in an encrypted container, and that container is then uploaded to the cloud.

I guess you can look at cloud storage as a safe deposit box. Dropbox provides them. But they also have the ability to open them. So what you can do is put your stuff in a safe where only you can open it. Then put that safe in the safe deposit box at dropbox.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Places like dropbox does provide some security in that they use encryption during transmission and storage. So, your data is encrypted when being moved back and forth between your computer and dropbox (SSL). In addition, they are encrypted when sitting on their servers (AES 256).

The thing to keep in mind is that dropbox manages the encryption key for the data that is sitting on their servers. This provides the convenience of sharing your files with others without having to manage your own keys. However, this also means that dropbox CAN potentially access your files.

Whether or not this is an issue is up to each individual. I use the cloud for all kinds of stuff. It's just too convenient to not utilize it. However, for the data that I consider sensitive, those are kept in an encrypted container, and that container is then uploaded to the cloud.

I guess you can look at cloud storage as a safe deposit box. Dropbox provides them. But they also have the ability to open them. So what you can do is put your stuff in a safe where only you can open it. Then put that safe in the safe deposit box at dropbox.
Thank You for this info. I have more confidence now. I'll also give the the encrypted container a try, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

On my desktop I have my dropbox folder in another password protected folder. I think it's lock director free version which works well. I did use this application in the dropbox and all was well as long as I was using the machine where lock director is applied. I tried accessing my dropbox from another machine and could only access my information if I downloaded the lock director application to that machine as well.

Is there any application where I would not have to do this or is this the norm? I sometimes have to use my mother in laws computer and don't want to have to download anything to her computer.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:42 AM

6,597 posts, read 11,325,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Thank You for this info. I have more confidence now. I'll also give the the encrypted container a try, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

On my desktop I have my dropbox folder in another password protected folder. I think it's lock director free version which works well. I did use this application in the dropbox and all was well as long as I was using the machine where lock director is applied. I tried accessing my dropbox from another machine and could only access my information if I downloaded the lock director application to that machine as well.

Is there any application where I would not have to do this or is this the norm? I sometimes have to use my mother in laws computer and don't want to have to download anything to her computer.
I use Apple as my main desktop OS. And OSX provides its own capability to create encrypted disk images. So as long as I access it from a Mac, it would work natively. You can also use something like a compression program (e.g. winzip) - in many cases, they would be supported by both Windows and OSX. But it would require require multiple steps (download, unzip/decrypt, use file).

Most encryption algorithms are not proprietary. So different product may be using the same encryption module (openSSL, etc.). I would concentrate on two things - the encryption method (crypto module) and the product interface. A quick baseline is to look for a FIPS 140-2 certified product, or one that uses a crypto module that is FIPS 1140-2 certified. FIPS is a NIST standard used by the Federal government. The product interface is more of a personal thing. Basically something that makes it easy for you to use.

The other thing is your key. It's typically a password (unless you want to carry a certificate around). So a weak password will still make the most secure algorithm susceptible to a brute force attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet