Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,571,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Where do you store that encrypted USB drive?
Well there's a darned good question. At least I don't have it in my computer room.

Any idea where IS a good place? (I'm assuming you mean the external hard drive?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 02:11 PM

6,597 posts, read 11,330,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I have no problem storing certain things in the cloud but I don't care how well encrypted they claim to be your stuff is still out there and lets face it, nothing is 100% safe once it's out there. For my highly sensitive data I store in encrypted files on a USB flash. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I've been researching a lot about encryption lately and have even posted questions here on CD and other forums. It seems most agree that no matter what someone may actually find that 0.0001 percent chance of a vulnerability and flip the script on you. Am I wrong?
When used effectively, encryption is one of the best ways to secure your information. But as with anything else, there are no absolutes. You can use one of the best encryption algorithms, but if you leave the key laying around, it's still useless. So no, you are not wrong. However, the bottom line is that there is no such thing as 100% security. Especially when you have multiple parts in play.

Is putting your sensitive data on a USB more secure than putting it on a cloud drive (or vice versa)? Probably not if the data was first encrypted before being placed in those places. But where is the key? and what about backup? Service providers have mature continuity/DR plans. What happens if that USB is dropped into a cup of coffee? How are you accessing that data? If your computer is compromised, then that data will likely be exposed when you access those files from said computer (be it on the USB or the cloud provider).

Old 04-13-2015, 04:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,793,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I have no problem storing certain things in the cloud but I don't care how well encrypted they claim to be your stuff is still out there and lets face it, nothing is 100% safe once it's out there. For my highly sensitive data I store in encrypted files on a USB flash. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I've been researching a lot about encryption lately and have even posted questions here on CD and other forums. It seems most agree that no matter what someone may actually find that 0.0001 percent chance of a vulnerability and flip the script on you. Am I wrong?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Well there's a darned good question. At least I don't have it in my computer room.

Any idea where IS a good place? (I'm assuming you mean the external hard drive?)
My bad I was asking someone else.

Not in the same location (house) as the original. In case of theft or fire you could lose both.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM

45,742 posts, read 27,368,885 times
My email service for $40/yr does email and 6 GB of storage space, along with photo album software to display pictures.

Fastmail

Old 04-16-2015, 01:38 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,800,363 times
Quote:
Actually I have more than one USB backup and I can't tell you where they are....LOL.
From some of the replies you guys make a pretty good case for cloud storage.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
When used effectively, encryption is one of the best ways to secure your information. But as with anything else, there are no absolutes. You can use one of the best encryption algorithms, but if you leave the key laying around, it's still useless. So no, you are not wrong. However, the bottom line is that there is no such thing as 100% security. Especially when you have multiple parts in play.

Is putting your sensitive data on a USB more secure than putting it on a cloud drive (or vice versa)? Probably not if the data was first encrypted before being placed in those places. But where is the key? and what about backup? Service providers have mature continuity/DR plans. What happens if that USB is dropped into a cup of coffee? How are you accessing that data? If your computer is compromised, then that data will likely be exposed when you access those files from said computer (be it on the USB or the cloud provider).
Like I told Tel_Freek I do have more than one USB backup but some of your replies are actually making me re-think the cloud option as well.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 AM

45,742 posts, read 27,368,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
My email service for $40/yr does email and 6 GB of storage space, along with photo album software to display pictures.

Fastmail
Actually is 15 GB of storage space.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:15 AM

We use Crashplan

Old 04-18-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I've used Dropbox the last couple of years, seamless, works in the background:

https://www.dropbox.com/

Check this article out:

12 free cloud storage options

12 free cloud storage options | Network World

Everyone here is going to have their own personal favorite, my suggestion to you is whatever article you read make sure it's not more than one year old...
So after checking these out does anyone have any preferences to these or other cloud services. I would really appreciate recommendations and personal experiences.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:46 AM

I have been using Crashplan (Code42) for 3 years as of tomorrow.

I've had to restore from the servers for myself and clients. The download speed is not super fast, but most aren't. Customer service has been exceptional. I've never had a glitch. I pay $50/year for unlimited data storage and I am currently at 1.1TB backed up.

I can easily recommend this company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet