Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,429,629 times

Advertisements

(Sometimes) Google is your friend:

Quote:
If we detect abnormal usage that may indicate that your account has been compromised, we may temporarily disable access. It will take between one minute and 24 hours for access to be reinstated, depending on the behavior detected by our system.
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/43692?hl=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
^^^ And isn't GMail supposed to be so secure & immune from hacking?
I don't know if anyone ever claimed immunity, but if you use their 2 step verification, your account is much, much more secure. I doubt many are using it, though.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:33 AM

61,920 posts, read 87,491,180 times
Cleared after two hours, and yes I always google problems to look for solution. Is not that I didn't find the answers, I just wondered about this occurrence because there was not any unusual behavior on my part. And no, my computer is not infected.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,854,532 times
It's not a question of your computer being infected - it's a question of the security of your email - if I were you, I would change the password (assuming your weren't asked to do that already)

Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,784,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
(Sometimes) Google is your friend:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/43692?hl=en
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Cleared after two hours, and yes I always google problems to look for solution. Is not that I didn't find the answers, I just wondered about this occurrence because there was not any unusual behavior on my part. And no, my computer is not infected.
From the link provided by LibraGirl, your ACCOUNT has been compromised, not your computer. Your account. What that means is that someone else is likely using your account to send thousands and thousands of spam emails to others. So change your password NOW. Set up 2 step verification.

As far as being secure and immune...NOTHING is immune. Nothing. Change your password every 6 months or so. Use long passwords or passphrases. For example, instead of using "password", use something like a passphrase - take a sentence such as: My Email Might Be Secure If I Change My Password Often - next, make that into a string of letters and numbers, mixing upper and lower case and throw in a symbol or 2.

M3m65i1cmp0!

Old 01-29-2015, 01:04 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,854,532 times
sometimes you keep telling people the same thing with the same NO result! LOL

Old 02-01-2015, 09:18 PM

22,678 posts, read 24,663,689 times
I had my bank-account UN/PW made invalid by my bank's security system.

Seems that someone was trying to hack into my account using my username......but they could not get the PW right.

If someone is trying to access your account, and they get either the UN or PW wrong too many times......that account/UN-PW/account-access, may get suspended.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:10 AM

570 posts, read 1,288,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Buy your own domain name.
Send email using that domain name.
Take a few years to notify everyone that you have a new email address of: joe@joesdomain.com
Then, you will no longer care what email service you actually use.
Can you please suggest which Domain Name Register offers email address with just a Domain Name.
Isn't it also necessary to have the Domain Name hosted somewhere to have an email address?

Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,674,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Can you please suggest which Domain Name Register offers email address with just a Domain Name.
Isn't it also necessary to have the Domain Name hosted somewhere to have an email address?

Many registrars will also offer email hosting (generally for a fee). There are also third party providers that can provide email on a custom domain (even Google).

From a technical standpoint, you'll need a hosted email service somewhere, but as long as the mail specific DNS records exist for the domain, you don't need any other hosting.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM

570 posts, read 1,288,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Many registrars will also offer email hosting (generally for a fee). There are also third party providers that can provide email on a custom domain (even Google).

From a technical standpoint, you'll need a hosted email service somewhere, but as long as the mail specific DNS records exist for the domain, you don't need any other hosting.
Yes I understand that. For example I have a domain name that is not hosted and I have the option of either paying to add an email account or I can forward email coming to my un-hosted Domain name to another email provider.
But that means there must be another email account somewhere such as Hotmail, gMail or whatever. That's back to square one and isn't really a solution to not depending on an email service provider such as gMail etc.
My post wasn't concerning whether a Domain Name needs hosting or not. It was to clarify that just getting the Domain Name wasn't the solution to not depending on a email provider.
It's not that simple and that is why I posted my reply davebarnes, to ask if he could suggest what Register may provide such a service without being hosted. He may know of one.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet