Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 AM

153 posts, read 637,610 times

Advertisements

I need to connect my new (used) ibook clamshell to the internet. A friend of a friend told me I should do it directly through a cat 5 cable and not use the USB.

My question is, do I have to purchase a cat 5 cable or will this be included with the kit that comes from my ISP? The computer should recognize the connection and take me through the process, correct?

Thanks for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 07:58 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,220,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
I need to connect my new (used) ibook clamshell to the internet. A friend of a friend told me I should do it directly through a cat 5 cable and not use the USB.

My question is, do I have to purchase a cat 5 cable or will this be included with the kit that comes from my ISP? The computer should recognize the connection and take me through the process, correct?

Thanks for any and all help.
Well, you can always purchase a cat 5 cable if you need it (or a cat 5e). There's several different types of cat 5 cables.

Generally the kit that comes from your ISP will provide everything you need, plus fairly detailed instructions. I would follow the instructions to the letter first, then decide if I wanted to use something else. Every so often there's a glitch in the setup (contrary to what they say about it being so "easy"). If you encounter such a glitch, it would be better if you have followed the standard setup rather than adding another possible cause of the problem into the mix. Once you get it up and running, then decide if you need to use something else.

For home use, I doubt whether you'll find you really need anything else. The special cables are more important on networks or commercial locations (for example, you can buy a shielded cat 5 cable for locations near motors or industrial machinery).

Just my thoughts about it.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:15 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Your laptop should have a cable port along the side or in the back. Is your DSL a cable DSL, or a telephone-line DSL? Some cable DSL can be connected via a USB port, but you have to get all the information from the ISP. If it's a DSL modem that connects to a telephone jack on the wall, then install a short telephone cable from the jack to the back of the modem, and the cable provided by the ISP from the back of the modem to the back of the computer. This cable's connector is slightly larger than the telephone cable's connector.

Remember to make all the connections with the computer and the modem turned off. Also, you will have to access the "Netwok" software in your computer and enter the data provided to you by your ISP, before you go ahead and make the connections.

If your laptop is an iBook (Mac iBook), I may be able to help you set the Network panel in your computer. ISP's usually take you through the steps needed, so check with them first. You will need to know things such as:

-Account name
-Type of connections (DHCP, etc.)
-Account password, etc.

The ISP usually provides you with two short cables, the modem and power supply, and a couple of telephone-line filters. One is a telephone cable, and the other is a: CAT 5e cable, sometimes market on the side as follows: "Certified to TIA/EIA-568B. 2 CAT 5e- LF" (something like that).

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-05-2007 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 PM

153 posts, read 637,610 times
Thanks guys. I'll be ordering my DSL through either Earthlink DSL, or the one from the local phone company in D.C., whichever is better. If everything comes with the package, I should be ok (and my mom too, as I'm setting her up as well).

Thanks RayinAK for the offer. If I end up needing your help I will definitely ask!

Old 12-05-2007, 04:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,220,402 times
If you decide to go with Earthlink and have any trouble with the installation, and you can get online from your location, you can use their online "real live person" support chat thing. I've found them to be excellent about responding and being helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet